The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham - Stockton Campus

Hey everyone. So I'm just looking at new Universities to possibly apply to and I see that Durham does my course (Biological Anthropology) at their Queens campus.

What's the difference between the two campuses? From what I gather the entry requirements for Queens are a lot lower. Why? Is the area terrible or something? I'm quite interested to know.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Bump!
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
It's a lot different than Durham (i.e. worse) and it's in the middle of nowhere.
Reply 3
AnonymousPenguin
It's a lot different than Durham (i.e. worse) and it's in the middle of nowhere.

So, it's not the same University?
katebushfan
So, it's not the same University?

It's the same university, but the Stockton campus is a 45 minute bus ride away from the main campus. You should visit it before making any decisions. You might like it, it certainly has it's plus points, but I didn't like it.
Reply 5
AnonymousPenguin
It's the same university, but the Stockton campus is a 45 minute bus ride away from the main campus. You should visit it before making any decisions. You might like it, it certainly has it's plus points, but I didn't like it.

Ah okay. Well I probably wouldn't go there I was just thinking applying to fill a space up. It's nice to have a back up option though! The campus looks ultra modern and stuff, not sure I'd enjoy that.
Stockton is close to Middlesbrough, if that doesn't put you off then go for it :smile:.
Reply 7
missevangeline
Stockton is close to Middlesbrough, if that doesn't put you off then go for it :smile:.

Hahaha. Hmmm. Well I might still visit it but yeah, so far I've heard nothing but bad things.
katebushfan
Hahaha. Hmmm. Well I might still visit it but yeah, so far I've heard nothing but bad things.

It's not as bad as it's made out to be but that might be a bit of a biist(sp?) oppinion as i've lived and grown up there, although Stockton is nicer :smile:
Reply 9
AnonymousPenguin

It's closer to a major centre of population (Teesside) than Durham is....certainly no further. Being one of the major industrial areas in the region it's not going to be isolated.

Stockton (well, techincally the campus is in Thornaby) aren't the largest of places. But I think that, as towns, they can offer more than Durham does as a city.

If by middle of nowhere you mean the North Yorks Moors are on your doorstep, as well as Teesdale, then yes it is. But then I don't think this is too much of a bad thing....

katebushfan

What's the difference between the two campuses? From what I gather the entry requirements for Queens are a lot lower. Why? Is the area terrible or something? I'm quite interested to know.

With the exception of medicine, the courses offered at Queens Campus do tend to be less popular (e.g. accounting and finance, business, biological anthropology, applied psychology). They aren't the most popular courses at most universities.

Queens Campus was originally co-run with the University of Teesside but after a couple of years Teesside couldn't fufill their obligations.

Its main purpose is to act as a site to re-establish a medical school (lost when Newcastle became an independent university in the 1960s) and to increase the numbers of students from non-traditional backgrounds and from the state sectors. As well as their full degrees like business and biological anthropology they have a foundation centre there (where students, often without recent education, come and do a foundation year before transferring into Durham). So this, as well as the general popularity of the courses offered, explains why typical offers are relatively modest.

It is somewhere you need to visit first. Some love it, some hate it.

Stockton is a little industrial (although not as bad as much as Middlesbrough) and it's not pretty, leafy, historic Durham. But this doesn't mean it's a complete dump either as some who like to make this unfair comparison seem to conclude.
Reply 10
I went to look round for Primary Education, but found the place to be a bit soulless. It felt a bit like a business park, and although the facilities appeared to be quite modern, it just wasn't what I was looking for.

However, I'd suggest going on an open day if you can, as everyone will feel differently. I know the university I am going to feels too small for some, but that's ideal for me!

Good luck in your application :smile:
Reply 11
I live in Stockon, about 5 minutes away from the campus. If you can get over the knife crime etc, then its not a bad uni!
Reply 12
River85
It's closer to a major centre of population (Teesside) than Durham is....certainly no further. Being one of the major industrial areas in the region it's not going to be isolated.

Stockton (well, techincally the campus is in Thornaby) aren't the largest of places. But I think that, as towns, they can offer more than Durham does as a city.

If by middle of nowhere you mean the North Yorks Moors are on your doorstep, as well as Teesdale, then yes it is. But then I don't think this is too much of a bad thing....

With the exception of medicine, the courses offered at Queens Campus do tend to be less popular (e.g. accounting and finance, business, biological anthropology, applied psychology). They aren't the most popular courses at most universities.

Queens Campus was originally co-run with the University of Teesside but after a couple of years Teesside couldn't fufill their obligations.

Its main purpose is to act as a site to re-establish a medical school (lost when Newcastle became an independent university in the 1960s) and to increase the numbers of students from non-traditional backgrounds and from the state sectors. As well as their full degrees like business and biological anthropology they have a foundation centre there (where students, often without recent education, come and do a foundation year before transferring into Durham). So this, as well as the general popularity of the courses offered, explains why typical offers are relatively modest.

It is somewhere you need to visit first. Some love it, some hate it.

Stockton is a little industrial (although not as bad as much as Middlesbrough) and it's not pretty, leafy, historic Durham. But this doesn't mean it's a complete dump either as some who like to make this unfair comparison seem to conclude.

Thanks for this reply, you're always very informative :yes:

I may just go and visit it when I'm reapplying. I was just confused as the Biological Anthropology requirements were only BBB. Do you know if people from the Queens campus get the same 'Durham qualification' (not sure how to word that) or is it regarded differently? It just seems odd that some of their courses are BBB/ BCC requirements yet someone with A*AA would be getting a qualification from the same Uni?

Not that any of this would sell the Uni to me or put me off I'm just quite interested. I was shocked when researching it at how low the requirements were for Durham!
Reply 13
katebushfan
Thanks for this reply, you're always very informative :yes:

I may just go and visit it when I'm reapplying. I was just confused as the Biological Anthropology requirements were only BBB. Do you know if people from the Queens campus get the same 'Durham qualification' (not sure how to word that) or is it regarded differently? It just seems odd that some of their courses are BBB/ BCC requirements yet someone with A*AA would be getting a qualification from the same Uni?

Not that any of this would sell the Uni to me or put me off I'm just quite interested. I was shocked when researching it at how low the requirements were for Durham!

It's also worth pointing out, if you go there you get free travel between Queens campus and the city campus.
Reply 14
Prudy
It's also worth pointing out, if you go there you get free travel between Queens campus and the city campus.

Ah thanks, I didn't know this :smile:.
Reply 15
katebushfan

I may just go and visit it when I'm reapplying. I was just confused as the Biological Anthropology requirements were only BBB. Do you know if people from the Queens campus get the same 'Durham qualification' (not sure how to word that) or is it regarded differently? It just seems odd that some of their courses are BBB/ BCC requirements yet someone with A*AA would be getting a qualification from the same Uni?!

The degree is awarded by the University of Durham. No one will know it's from Queens Campus, unless they know the courses offered there of course :p: But it's not stated on your degree certificate. You get the same "Durham degree" as anyone who studies any of the Durham based degrees.

Don't be so shocked :p: Even some Durham based degrees have fairly modest typical offers. All multi-faculty universities outside Oxford and Cambridge will still have relatively modest offers for one or two of its courses. At Durham it's Criminology (introduced in 2007/2008) and archaeology...oh, I thought they was BBB but seems it's actually ABB. Still, the difference isn't huge.
Reply 16
River85
The degree is awarded by the University of Durham. No one will know it's from Queens Campus, unless they know the courses offered there of course :p: But it's not stated on your degree certificate. You get the same "Durham degree" as anyone who studies any of the Durham based degrees.

Don't be so shocked :p: Even some Durham based degrees have fairly modest typical offers. All multi-faculty universities outside Oxford and Cambridge will still have relatively modest offers for one or two of its courses. At Durham it's Criminology (introduced in 2007/2008) and archaeology...oh, I thought they was BBB but seems it's actually ABB. Still, the difference isn't huge.

Hahaha, part of me would feel like a cheat if I said I was going to Durham and got in with BBB. Most people I know think of it as an AAA/ AAB type Uni. That's pretty weird they all get the same certificate, the campuses seem very different. Although I think you said (or someone else) that they teach medicine at the Queens campus.

Heh, I never even properly looked at the course two years ago when deciding what A Levels to do/ what I should do as I just assumed it'd be A*A*A* to get in. Shows how ignorant I am really :rolleyes:

I'd still rather go to Kent but it's nice to know I could have this as a back up option potentially (if they gave me a conditional of course).
Reply 17
Stockton has a supermarket which you can walk to whereas the Durham campus you have to get a bus. It confuses me too why it seems so easy to get in with grade requirements but its still very selective, I'm going to do Psychology (applied) and they only let 70 on the course compared to 300 which is the standard amount at other universities. Also Stockton has better research facilities than Durham which is why medicine and my course is there, the Psychology in the city is arts based whereas I want to do a scientific degree. It pisses me off though all the snobbery I encounter when i say i'm at the Stockton campus. At least i don't have to walk up a hill to get to my college.
Katy44
Stockton has a supermarket which you can walk to whereas the Durham campus you have to get a bus. It confuses me too why it seems so easy to get in with grade requirements but its still very selective, I'm going to do Psychology (applied) and they only let 70 on the course compared to 300 which is the standard amount at other universities. Also Stockton has better research facilities than Durham which is why medicine and my course is there, the Psychology in the city is arts based whereas I want to do a scientific degree. It pisses me off though all the snobbery I encounter when i say i'm at the Stockton campus. At least i don't have to walk up a hill to get to my college.

Trust me i know how you feel ha....all i get is jibes such as "Durham Met", "Durham Hallam", "Durham plaggy campus"....its just banter though ;p
AnonymousPenguin

'Worse', as in aesthetically, yes. It has a much more modern outlook than the main campus, for me that is a negative. Academically no. The main reason for the Queens campus is for Durham university to have a chance to teach medicine and subjects that require labs geared towards medical research such as Biomedical sciences, Psychology (applied) and biological anthropology.

Biological antropoly may have BBB grades (anything lower would probably be for foundation degree which is completely understandable being a FOUNDATION course) but it doesn't mean that the course is easy (it's a god damn science subject!), the lower grades would probably reflect the fact that the course is not in such high damand as other main stream subjects.

The spread of propular subjects between Queens and Durham is probably even with Psychology, Medicine (arguably the most competetive degree now) and Biomed sciences (propular due to many wannabe medics like myself :P) being 3 of 6 degrees held at Queens. There are subjects being held at Durham less popular and easier to get into than AAA-A*A*A* medicine and AAB biomed like Zology (not saying Zology is bad or anything!).

If a Durham humanities or art student tries to make out that i'm going to 'the polly' or doing an easy subject... I'll puch em in the face. :shoot: :spank: :woo:

Latest