The Student Room Group
Reply 1
yes..cant quote anything but that is how it works..
Reply 2
Bismillah
What if ALL Unis asked for say AAA when you apply, do you still have to choose 1 to firm and 1 to insurance?

[Please quote when replying]

I think UCAS only allows you to make an insurance choice which is lower than your firm choice, otherwise it's not an insurance choice. If all 5 universities ask for AAA, then apply to one with a slightly lower offer just in case you don't make AAA.

P.S. You don't HAVE to make an insurance choice, you can just have a firm choice.
Knugs
yes..cant quote anything but that is how it works..

quote as in quote the post i believe?... like so...

Bismillah

OP yes you do
Reply 4
Bismillah
What if ALL Unis asked for say AAA when you apply, do you still have to choose 1 to firm and 1 to insurance?

You don't *have* to choose an insurance, iirc. All my unis were AAA but I still chose a firm and insurance.
Bismillah

You do still have to put a firm and insurance. Ucas let you put a higher one as insurance too, although it is pretty dumb.
Reply 6
thanks everyone:smile: wish i could have 3 choices haha
Reply 7
My firm and insurance both had the same grade requirement (all my offers were the same). You just need to work hard to make sure you get the grades (which I did).
Reply 8
You have 5 choices so pick 3 good uni's that should give you offers that match your predicted grades, 1 university who's offer will be a grade or two below your predicted grades and finally 1 university who's offer will be way way below your predicted grades just to be on the safe side.

When it comes time to make firm and insurance decisions assess your progress at A level so far be honest with yourself and then make the decision.

I've seen so many people on here predicted AAA but getting ABB or ABC or worse and missing firm and insurance offers. If one thing is obvious from the recent A-levels it isn't that they are getting easier but that using predicted grades really doesn't work that well.

No one should be picking 5 schools that all give offers at or near their predicted grades.
How does it work, once you pick your insurance and firm, you relinquish all others?

Ok, what if you apply around this time (for 2011 entry), and your results come out in January 2011? Assuming they pick you, do the unis automatically offer an unconditional, and there's no more firm/insurance when you confirm that?

TY
Zezzy
I think UCAS only allows you to make an insurance choice which is lower than your firm choice, otherwise it's not an insurance choice.

Not true :smile: Mine was the same, and a friend of mine had his insurance at higher than his firm!

Mad, but true.
Reply 11
Yes. My insurance was higher than my firm. :frown:
Reply 12
LuhLah
Yes. My insurance was higher than my firm. :frown:

Well what was the point of that? :confused:
Reply 13
Strangely, the offer I chose as my firm was the lowest of my offers, so I couldn't have an insurance either. I just declined the others.
Reply 14
Zezzy
Well what was the point of that? :confused:

Because my firm was the uni that I really wanted to go to and all my other offers were either the same or higher.
I didn't put an insurance choice - my firm was BCC and all my other offers were AAA.

Needless to say, I got A* A* A and could have gone to any of them, but eh.
Reply 16
LuhLah
Because my firm was the uni that I really wanted to go to and all my other offers were either the same or higher.

Why did you even put it as your insurance though?
Zezzy
Why did you even put it as your insurance though?

Universities have diiferent, and not necessarily predictable, attitudes to leniency if a candidate doesn't attain the offer requirements. There is nothing wrong with having an insurance offer that is higher than the firm if the firm is your most favoured institution.

Latest

Trending

Trending