The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
i wouldn't have anything against UWE students, they're probably marvelous people.

There is allways going to be an element of snobbery though isn't there between two institutions, especially as one is much older than the other. and i think its widely regarded that bristol is better for most things than UWE. Which is just cold facts.

But i wouldn't judge someone, because they went to UWE. I'd judge them on their own merits.
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 21
fu*k it they will work for us one day.... and we will smash in rugby! i went to state school and lots of people i know are going 2 uwe...they admit that its a **** uni and half of them are intilligent enough to get in 2 bristol uni they just did'nt work. im not going to instigate anything! increase the peace!
Reply 22
annabellewalter
I have lived in Bristol all my life, and as I'm off to Uni next Saturday (woo hoo!) I had to get something off my chest before I start being an official Bristol Uni Student. I have been reading all these websites and things and something which really stands out to me ( and I know this happens in every city with two unis) is the pathetic snobbery people hold towards UWE students and the establishment itself.

All this talk of UWE not being a 'real' Uni :eek: .....does it disappoint anyone else? I thought Bristol Uni students were meant to be intelligent people. And in a lot of the bumpf they just turn out to be stuck up ******s. UWE aren't innocent, I'll admit, often branding Bristol students as 'toffs' :rolleyes: - but then again - sometimes I feel like I don't blame them.

Why can't people just get along? :smile:

In my experience it's only ever been friendly banter and sporting rivalry. One of my flatmates boyfriend is a UWE student - and she's a Bristol and i've known the two of them for 4 years - we wind UWE up and they wind UB up, as far as I'm aware that's all it is. I have nothing against UWE students - the chants say they're poor when in fact the majority of them are probably far better off than myself! The way I see it, Bristol does one half of all the courses and UWE does the other half - it's like a marriage - the two don't get on all the time and have their arguments - but one needs the other - perfect example: UWE has the Nursing School, Bristol the Medical - how can we have a hospital of just doctors? it doesn't work - the system falls apart. I respect anyone in UWE who does a meaningful course the same as I respect a Bristol student doing a similar sort of course - and by meaningful I mean not "David Beckham Studies" -anyhoo, rant over :P
Reply 23
annabellewalter
It's just an age old tradition in Uni cities - someone always has to be sick in the punch at a party. I have just become more aware of it as I head into Bristol Uni - Most of my mates are from UWE! I was just wondering if it bothers other people as much as it does me.

i go to bristol and im sharing with uwe and bristol students. i dont see the problem.
Reply 24
phake-tan
My cousin goes to Oxford Brookes and she says the Oxford students refer to them as 'The Early Learning Centre'. Joking around is fine. We make fun of their more recent Uni status and they make fun of our snobbery.

I know it's only meant as a "joke" but if some arrogant Oxford student referred to me as someone from the 'The Early Learning Centre' i would not be impressed. (Tbh, that's an massive understatement)

I think people from the best Unis in this country have a duty to be as magnanimous and down-to-earth as humanly possible.

There's nothing wrong with bring proud of your Uni but if you look down on someone because of the Uni you attend you should hang your head in shame.

(Even tho, it does annoy me when people lie about which Uni they are going to (like saying they are going to the Uni of Bristol when they are going to UWE) just to boost their image.)
Phil_D

(Even tho, it does annoy me when people lie about which Uni they are going to (like saying they are going to the Uni of Bristol when they are going to UWE) just to boost their image.)

When I worked in HR there were quite a few people whose CV said their degree was from Bristol University and then when they showed us the certificate it was from UWE. Same with Bath/Bath Spa.

If people think that their uni is so great, why do they lie about it?
Where I worked we would have given the same consideration to a Bristol or UWE graduate providing they had the right degree subject/class and experience, but if someone lied on their CV they were automatically disqualified.
Reply 26
I've heard of Bristol, but never of UWE. What is the latter? Bristol's rival?
Reply 27
UWE = University of the West of England

Which reminds me, where exactly is it in relation to Bristol city centre and the UB campuses?
I heard that it's in the suburbs, right outside the city centre?
Reply 29
i think its a way out from the centre, i've seen the campus but can't remember exactly where it is.
I heard that Jeffrey Archer went to Oxford Brookes, but in his bio section on his books, it just says: "...studied law at Oxford." HAHAHA

What do think UWE girls will be like? I think that Bristol girls will have the edge... but I'm quite obviously biased :rolleyes:
Reply 31
Were's ramoff for this thread?

And who posted (a while ago) "UWE dads work for Bristol University dads"?
UWE is miles away from anything. They have a campus in a place called Frenchay...and Filton......rather them than me to be honest. UoB students are really lucky with location.
Reply 33
Steveee
Were's ramoff for this thread?

And who posted (a while ago) "UWE dads work for Bristol University dads"?

UWE is better than Bristol :smile:
You knew what I would say :rolleyes:
Reply 34
annabellewalter
UWE is miles away from anything.

UWE have, however, been granted planning permission to build what will be the UK's most grand & sophisticated student village, at their campus in Frenchay. (Still, I appreciate that this doesn't benefit current students).

CallumH
Which reminds me, where exactly is it in relation to Bristol city centre and the UB campuses?

Though most UWE campuses are in the suburbs, a sizable proportion of UWE students also live in halls situated in, or near, the city centre.
Reply 35
Oxford/Oxford Brookes doesn't happen. It's more that Cheney (the next door school - mine) take the mick. Undeservedly, I'd add, since Ox B is the best redbrick in the country.

Shelbycakes - I know you're generalising but Bristol students, while on average having higher grades than UWE, will not always emerge having worked to the best of their ability. Some people at UWE will have a talent for their subject that Bristol students can only envy. Happens all over the world.

The only reason for inter-uni disagreement should come if one uni is trying to undermine themselves by impersonating a student of the other uni.. If you get me.. If a UWE kid's trying to pretend they have a Bristol Uni degree.
Reply 36
_Ellie

The only reason for inter-uni disagreement should come if one uni is trying to undermine themselves by impersonating a student of the other uni.. If you get me.. If a UWE kid's trying to pretend they have a Bristol Uni degree.

Someone my mum knows was impressing everyone by telling them her son was studying at "university in Bristol", and apparently didn't look best pleased when asked which uni he was at! Ah well... :rolleyes:
Don't worry about it people! Wherever you go there will be some idiots. It's a fact of life, so don't let it get to you. My best friend from school is at UWE. I'm sure we'll see lots of each other.
_Ellie

Yes, I'll freely admit that that DOES irritate me.
Reply 39
I met someone from UWE this summer and it was her who referred to it as an early learning centre, so if anything, the humour is self deprecating and shouldn't be taken seriously... I doubt that there are full on fights caused by the difference in institution, but, then again I'm only guessing...

Latest

Trending

Trending