The Student Room Group

my thoughts on maternity leave

I thought about mat leave (due to another thread) and though of this, basing the mat pay on how long they have been with the company so lets assume 100% is as the pay as it is now so by my system it would be for example...

1 year or less: 25%
2 years: 50%
3 years: 75%
4 years or more: 100%

also it would stay on the rate all the time that most of the pays on so if they went out a month before year two then they would get year two all the time and if they are in year one for most of it then they get year one pay all the way. I also think under this system when they come back the years should be reset so if they go off within a year (unlikely) then they would be back on 25%

I just believe my system would be good because it would ensure based on the time they got on mat leave that the business would have got an suitable level of work out of them. I disagree with current mat pay legislation due to small business might not be able to cope with paying the woman on mat leave and the person doing her job for her. I know the percentage may be harsh but whats stopping someone under the current system joining a company working for 2 months then going on mat leave and not going back to the job?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Well thats all very well if a woman has a partner who can help out with money while shes on maternity leave, but what about a single woman (possibly with other children) who gets pregnant? How do you expect her to live on 25% of her normal pay during those months!?
You realize the law mandates at least 10 months of employment before the child is born, right?
(Specifically, 26 weeks worked before 15 weeks before the due date)
I think you replied this to one of my comments in that thread :smile:.

I like the idea behind it, to protect small businesses from the impacts of maternity leave. however, though this may reach that end, I still feel that on principle it is unfair to force any employer to give a wage - or any percentage of a wage, or any other payment - to someone who is not working; not being forced to stop working, but through the free choice to have a child.

IMO if maternity leave is provided it should be at the employers free will.
TimmonaPortella

The impact of this is that it effectively prevents a woman working for a company without maternity leave from having children. Is this acceptable? I'm not sure the ability to have children should be dictated by your employer.
Reply 5
DOA
I thought about mat leave (due to another thread) and though of this, basing the mat pay on how long they have been with the company so lets assume 100% is as the pay as it is now so by my system it would be for example...

1 year or less: 25%
2 years: 50%
3 years: 75%
4 years or more: 100%

also it would stay on the rate all the time that most of the pays on so if they went out a month before year two then they would get year two all the time and if they are in year one for most of it then they get year one pay all the way. I also think under this system when they come back the years should be reset so if they go off within a year (unlikely) then they would be back on 25%

I just believe my system would be good because it would ensure based on the time they got on mat leave that the business would have got an suitable level of work out of them. I disagree with current mat pay legislation due to small business might not be able to cope with paying the woman on mat leave and the person doing her job for her. I know the percentage may be harsh but whats stopping someone under the current system joining a company working for 2 months then going on mat leave and not going back to the job?

Bit baffled as to how a small business may not be able to cope.
The business gets to decide if they will give more than the minimum when sorting out the contract of employment.
Many will give minimum.
And can be deducted, so doesn't cost them in full.

A company taking on a pregnant woman will decide knowing they will be on maternity leave. If not known they are pregnant, fair enough, a shock to all.

Your idea of what to pay can cost many companies more, not less.
Reply 6
tikkitak
Well thats all very well if a woman has a partner who can help out with money while shes on maternity leave, but what about a single woman (possibly with other children) who gets pregnant? How do you expect her to live on 25% of her normal pay during those months!?

benefits or a loan
Reply 7
TimmonaPortella

I like the idea behind it, to protect small businesses from the impacts of maternity leave. however, though this may reach that end, I still feel that on principle it is unfair to force any employer to give a wage - or any percentage of a wage, or any other payment - to someone who is not working; not being forced to stop working, but through the free choice to have a child.

Thats very easy for a person with a penis to say isnt it.

What you are effectively saying is that an employer should have the right to limit my possibilities of carrying on the human race.
Tolth
The impact of this is that it effectively prevents a woman working for a company without maternity leave from having children. Is this acceptable? I'm not sure the ability to have children should be dictated by your employer.

This is perverse reasoning.
If i agree to do something, I agree to forgo that which i could have otherwise done. I'm not sure the ability to sit about watching daytime tv all day should be dictated by your employer; the fact though, is, that its not - I dictated that, by agreeing to work.

Is it fair to expect an employer to hold up their side of an agreement - paying the wage - even when the employee decides, freely, to not uphold their side?
Reply 9
TimmonaPortella

One way to not attract the best staff.

Seriously, there is absolutely no chance of sickness or maternity minimums being taken away from employers.
TimmonaPortella
This is perverse reasoning.
If i agree to do something, I agree to forgo that which i could have otherwise done. I'm not sure the ability to sit about watching daytime tv all day should be dictated by your employer; the fact though, is, that its not - I dictated that, by agreeing to work.

Is it fair to expect an employer to hold up their side of an agreement - paying the wage - even when the employee decides, through choice, to not uphold their side?

Not at all. I simply don't think that employers have the right to interfere with important segments of their employees private lives. Do you think it should be legal for employers to only hire those who agree to vote for a certain political party, or who agree to adopt a particular faith? We're not talking about upholding a prior agreement here- we're discussing whether the condition of 'Not having children' should be incorporable into an employees contract, and "The employee knew what they were getting into" doesn't justify anything an employer could include. The fact that the condition is dictated in advance doesn't make it ethical or acceptable. Rationally, any company who wanted to maximise profit would ban women from having children, and the long-term impact there would shut out any woman who wanted a family from a working life.
Tolth
Not at all. I simply don't think that employers have the right to interfere with important segments of their employees private lives. Do you think it should be legal for employers to only hire those who agree to vote for a certain political party, or who agree to adopt a particular faith? We're not talking about upholding a prior agreement here- we're discussing whether the condition of 'Not having children' should be incorporable into an employees contract. The fact that the condition is dictated in advance doesn't make it ethical or acceptable.

The choice to have a child is not part of the employees private life though - not once it interferes with agreements the employee has made.

I actually believe any clause should be able to be put in an employment contract if both parties agree. but let's take your example, and assume that "not having children" should not be placed in such a contract - and isn't.
It is not the having children that is the problem. It is the "not working" that is the problem, when the employee agreed to work. If the employee can work despite the pregnancy, fair enough, it is no concern of the employer.
TimmonaPortella
The choice to have a child is not part of the employees private life though - not once it interferes with agreements the employee has made.

I actually believe any clause should be able to be put in an employment contract if both parties agree. but let's take your example, and assume that "not having children" should not be placed in such a contract - and isn't.
It is not the having children that is the problem. It is the "not working" that is the problem, when the employee agreed to work. If the employee can work despite the pregnancy, fair enough, it is no concern of the employer.

So do you also oppose the minimum wage, the cap on working hours and basic health and safety legislation? All of these are examples of the government restricting the rights of the employer to define their employees contracts. Do you believe that an employer should have the right to fire their employee if they contract a chronic illness that impedes their ability to work for six months?
Also, how is "Not working" relevant? If maternity leave is in the contract, it's agreed. That's not a breach, and the employee isn't refusing to work when they've agreed to do so. It isn't interfering with any agreements, as the agreement includes maternity leave.
The simple fact is that if a woman, especially a single mother, has a child, then they either take maternity leave or quit their job. If the woman cannot afford to comfortably support any children while on benefits, and doesn't have access to a period of maternity leave, this amounts to a ban on having children. A lack of maternity leave frequently is exactly that.
Tolth
1) So do you also oppose the minimum wage, the cap on working hours and basic health and safety legislation?

2) Also, how is "Not working" relevant? If maternity leave is in the contract, it's agreed. That's not a breach.

First question - YES. these do not only restrict the rights of the employer, but the rights of the employee to choose what they can agree to.
i capitalise "yes" with particular emphasis on the minimum wage - this is retarded even from consequential arguments.

second question - what? we are discussing whether maternity leave should or should not be a mandatory clause...
I am saying that it should not, as it means exactly what you just said - that the employer is forced to continue to pay despite the "not working". The reasons for the not working, imo, are entirely irrelevant where the agreement is based on the working - as you have yourself said, it is not the concern of an employer if an employee wants to have a child.
Reply 14
Tolth
Not at all. I simply don't think that employers have the right to interfere with important segments of their employees private lives. Do you think it should be legal for employers to only hire those who agree to vote for a certain political party, or who agree to adopt a particular faith? We're not talking about upholding a prior agreement here- we're discussing whether the condition of 'Not having children' should be incorporable into an employees contract, and "The employee knew what they were getting into" doesn't justify anything an employer could include. The fact that the condition is dictated in advance doesn't make it ethical or acceptable. Rationally, any company who wanted to maximise profit would ban women from having children, and the long-term impact there would shut out any woman who wanted a family from a working life.

Yes but having a child affects your ability to work. You won't be able to work for a certain period of time. Converting to a religion generally won't do that (although it could, e.g. a taste tester for Pork Farms converts to Islam).

Antonia87
Thats very easy for a person with a penis to say isnt it.

What you are effectively saying is that an employer should have the right to limit my possibilities of carrying on the human race.

But on the flip side it gives companies an incentive to discriminate against women. If they hire a woman they know there's a chance they'll get pregnant and have to take time off work, and they will still have to pay them.

Here's some ideas I came up with, although they all have problems:

Equal paternity leave. That way companies have no incentive to hire men over women, because men might also take the same time off. However it's still less likely men will take paternity leave (because they don't always know they've had a child) and it seems sort of unfair because a man could just treat it as a free holiday rather than preparing for the child.

The government reimburses the company for the maternity pay. Obvious problem here, it would cost the taxpayer **** loads.
TimmonaPortella
First question - YES. these do not only restrict the rights of the employer, but the rights of the employee to choose what they can agree to.
i capitalise "yes" with particular emphasis on the minimum wage - this is retarded even from consequential arguments.

second question - what? we are discussing whether maternity leave should or should not be a mandatory clause...
I am saying that it should not, as it means exactly what you just said - that the employer is forced to continue to pay despite the "not working". The reasons for the not working, imo, are entirely irrelevant where the agreement is based on the working - as you have yourself said, it is not the concern of an employer if an employee wants to have a child.

The consequence of 'no minimum wage' is colossal income disparity and a slip into an even more severe class system. I can't understand how anyone would believe the positive consequences balance that out.

The employer is forced to continue paying because the alternative is a situation in which women are massively disadvantaged in the workplace and one in which there is a legally enforced choice (for women only) between career-success and a normal family. I can't understand how anyone would believe that a vague increase in corporate profits is worth this.
Psyk
Yes but having a child affects your ability to work. You won't be able to work for a certain period of time. Converting to a religion generally won't do that (although it could, e.g. a taste tester for Pork Farms converts to Islam).

But on the flip side it gives companies an incentive to discriminate against women. If they hire a woman they know there's a chance they'll get pregnant and have to take time off work, and they will still have to pay them.

Here's some ideas I came up with, although they all have problems:

Equal paternity leave. That way companies have no incentive to hire men over women, because men might also take the same time off. However it's still less likely men will take paternity leave (because they don't always know they've had a child) and it seems sort of unfair because a man could just treat it as a free holiday rather than preparing for the child.

The government reimburses the company for the maternity pay. Obvious problem here, it would cost the taxpayer **** loads.

Converting to a religion could quite easily. For example, Muslims are generally required to pray for a short period several times a day, and that'll reduce productivity. I admit it's not anywhere near as severe as maternity leave due to having children, but the point still stands.
Reply 17
Tolth
Converting to a religion could quite easily. For example, Muslims are generally required to pray for a short period several times a day, and that'll reduce productivity. I admit it's not anywhere near as severe as maternity leave due to having children, but the point still stands.

Meh, it's only like being a smoker:p:
Tolth
The consequence of 'no minimum wage' is colossal income disparity and a slip into an even more severe class system. I can't understand how anyone would believe the positive consequences balance that out.

The employer is forced to continue paying because the alternative is a situation in which women are massively disadvantaged in the workplace and one in which there is a legally enforced choice (for women only) between career-success and a normal family. I can't understand how anyone would believe that a vague increase in corporate profits is worth this.

the consequence of a minimum wage is unemployment. from your reasoning, a negative income tax would work far better, but this is a debate for another thread.

again - sigh - there is no legally enforced choice, in this hypothetical, to not have children. There is a choice to work - as agreed - or to not work, the reasons being irrelevant. As i've said, if the employee can work through the pregnancy then, unless stipulated by contract, the pregnancy is no concern of the employer.
My argument holds agreements as inviolable, and holds that any two consenting parties should be able to agree to whatever they want. that is my entire argument. out of the two of us, it is you who is saying that the employees private life - in this case, the decision to have a child - should be the concern of the employer (obviously, again, outside of contractual stipulation).
Psyk

One of my best friends is a Muslim and her father works at Heathrow (for BA to be precise). He takes time out of his working day to pray five times a day, every day. Maternity leave will always only be temporary, but what my friend's father does is permanent, for as long as he's working.

Also, what about special religious holidays and festivals where the person will be permitted to leave work? Even when I was at college, a large group of my friends were allowed to leave classes to celebrate Eid. They still got their EMA.

If such privileges are granted to such circumstances, there's little reason why that cant be applied to pregnant women.

Latest

Trending

Trending