The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The gap is virtually non-existent in my opinion, although of course it is extremely subject dependent. Work hard in lessons, put in the revision hours close to the exam and you'll be fine:smile:
Reply 2
I've personally started A2, about 8 weeks into the course and I don't really feel that it is any harder. If anything it's easier because I'm more motivated and organised this year.
Reply 3
Forget about how hard it's supposed to be, just do your absolute best at all times and you can't go wrong. :smile:
Reply 4
BioSam
The gap is virtually non-existent in my opinion, although of course it is extremely subject dependent. Work hard in lessons, put in the revision hours close to the exam and you'll be fine:smile:

really? I found it a bigger gap than between GCSE and AS level (no gap between them imo). I suppose it depends on the person.
Reply 5
imo there isn't a gap. Did very little at AS got good grades, did a little more (or less in some subjects) at A2 and got better grades. So honestly, I'd say about the same :smile:
The gap is around the lenght of the summer holidays...
I found the gap fairly large but not as big as the gap between GCSE and AS so if you coped well in AS you'll find it easier to adjust into A2 it just depends on how you are. There does seem to be more work in A2 though but that might just depend on the subject, just work hard and you'll be fine :smile:
My history teacher said that there isn't a gap between AS and A2. Just going through the course today it seems to be much of the same, just a bigger time period. So there will be more to learn, but it seems that the content wont be anymore difficult to learn. But in English lit she was saying it'll be a step up regarding the level of writing in our text analysis in exams etc, and the exams are closed text exams so that will make it harder. Business doesn't appear to be any harder yet either...
BioSam

I agree.
If you coped with the gap between GCSE and A-level you will be fine.
Guess it depends on the subject. Geography I didnt notice any gap and did better in my A2 exams compared to my AS ones.
Maths however I've just started, and it doesnt look to be easier then the AS, not by some distance.
Reply 11
there isn't much of a gap as mentioned above. In certain subjects (lets take Biology for example) there is a shift in emphasis between knowing the subject matter and data interpretation/apply knowledge (How Science Works). If you can handle this you will be fine, the gap is nowhere near the size of GCSE -> AS
Reply 12
Depends on the subject, for Maths there's no gap. For French there's a huge gap. I can't vouch for anything else.
Reply 13
AshDonson
Depends on the subject, for Maths there's no gap. For French there's a huge gap. I can't vouch for anything else.

There's no gap for maths?? C1 was basically GCSE.......

Maybe it depends on the exam board too
Reply 14
Zezzy

Well I did P1, P2 and M1 in year 12, then P3, P4 and M2. For me M1 was about the same difficulty as P3.

This is AQA I'm talking about.
Reply 15
Zezzy

omgg samee! i found C1 sooo easy, but i only got a B on the exam, 1 mark off an A. C2 i got an A even though i thought it was kinda hard

im on AQA btw
its about 6-8 weeks usually.
Reply 17
casiogeek
Just finished my AS year..got BBCD, now im wondering how harder A2 gets. I've got a weekend job and i dont want it to affect my grades...

It is extremely harder. The study wise and everything you might not really see a difference. But when it comes to the exams, trust me my whole school and some other 6f colleges around me really messed it up. Exams seem as easy as AS, but they still somehow manage to fail you. BBCD is not too bad, but I would really reccommend either giving up that job, or really working EXTREMELY hard after school, during free lessons, before school, on holidays, whenever you have time basically. If you take it EXACTLY like AS you might end up with CCDD or something similar to that. So you need to step up extremely, especially with a weekend job.
casiogeek
Just finished my AS year..got BBCD, now im wondering how harder A2 gets. I've got a weekend job and i dont want it to affect my grades...

depends on the subject. i found it the same/easier for some subjects for A2. :smile:
Reply 19
FFS, there is no sudden jump or gap. It's all a natural transition.

If you found that there was a gap between the two, you found AS hard and so the content and skills that A2 builds on is obviously going to confuse you.

Latest