The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Choosing electives and clashes

I'm trying to choose 40 credits in electives alongside the English Language & Literature course and was planning on doing 20 credits in Advanced French and 20 in Psychology modules. Only problem is that all the modules in Advanced French clash with my core English modules in either one semester or the other. Does this mean I won't be able to do any French FLTU modules or is there any way to get around the clashes? I'm thinking of waiting until I get there to sort it all out in person but I'm worried that the modules I want to do will have filled up by then.

Any help would be super :yy:
You can email the departments and ask, but of course you have to take your core modules, so it looks like you would have to take a different French class. You can generally only take electives that fit into your timetable.
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
Shyness is nice, but
I'm trying to choose 40 credits in electives alongside the English Language & Literature course and was planning on doing 20 credits in Advanced French and 20 in Psychology modules. Only problem is that all the modules in Advanced French clash with my core English modules in either one semester or the other. Does this mean I won't be able to do any French FLTU modules or is there any way to get around the clashes? I'm thinking of waiting until I get there to sort it all out in person but I'm worried that the modules I want to do will have filled up by then.

lol u dum? :confused:
Shyness is nice, but

I had the same problem, but didn't realise 'til about four days after I thought that I was sorted when my timetable finally decided to update itself. :rolleyes: I emailed the departments that were clashing and got the reply that unless the electives have alternative times (some of mine are repeated one after the other for the first few weeks), then it's just tough- you have to look into other things.

What really got to me though was that history JH students are 'strongly encouraged' to take history electives...which clash with the compulsory modules which we have no choice in taking.

Just try and prioritise which you really want to take/have to take to get you where you want to be, and try and be broad minded with what you could take.

Have a pen and paper handy as well- those timetables are bloody confusing. :o:
Little Jules
x

Pennster
x

Ta for the advice, was just about to email the department when I checked the timetables again and either some of the lecture/seminar times have changed or it proved too confusing for me and I misread them the first time :emo:

So all good :h:
Ivan91
lol u dum? :confused:

Apparently :ashamed2:

but shouldn't you be out 'gettin wasted n bangin hoes'? :angry::angry:
Tip: don't take advanced French if you can take beginners or a lower level of some sort. Unless you're fluent or you really, really want to. One of my friends took advanced German as an elective because she had an AS level in it and really, really struggled with it alongside her English degree. She had lectures and seminars where you weren't allowed to speak any English. Of course, it doesn't mean you'll struggle, but taking beginners is much easier, you'll probably get higher marks and more time on your hands to have a life in first year!
sequinpeach
Tip: don't take advanced French if you can take beginners or a lower level of some sort. Unless you're fluent or you really, really want to. One of my friends took advanced German as an elective because she had an AS level in it and really, really struggled with it alongside her English degree. She had lectures and seminars where you weren't allowed to speak any English. Of course, it doesn't mean you'll struggle, but taking beginners is much easier, you'll probably get higher marks and more time on your hands to have a life in first year!

I'm far from fluent, I'm not even very good at speaking French :frown: But you have to answer some questions when applying for the module and they put you in Advanced French if you've got a grade C or above at A Level, so I don't think I can just get out of it, or whether there's any point doing a lower level anyway. Plus I think you do some sort of test when you get there to determine if you're in the right bracket. Thanks for the tip though :h:
I had to take a test when I got there for them to place me in a language class, and I think that you can request to move down if you wish to.

Latest