The Student Room Group

Is having sex or a relationship with your housemate totally forbidden?

I REALLY fancy my new housemate and I have no idea whether or not he likes me back. I have that feeling about him that makes me sure that I'd be upset if I saw him with another girl, or even worse, if he brought a girl back to the house one night. I don't want this "does he or doesn't he" worry hanging over me all the time. I really want something to happen between us, even if at first it's just a kiss so that I know he likes me back.
Even though I'm not looking for a boyfriend, if he asked me out I'm pretty sure I'd say yes.

BUT everyone I've spoken to says nothing can ever happen between us because it could get "really awkward", and people in these kinds of relationships say that it always turns into arguments and bad feelings.
Does this HAVE to be the case? If we give each other plenty of space, why do there have to be problems any more than for other couples? And surely at some point couples move in together anyway. Or should I make it very clear that we can't be serious like that, but keep it at casual occasional sex or something?

I really can't see any way of getting over him without something happening between us first. Help appreciated! x

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You do whatever the **** you want.
Your mum battled Jin now SHE'S an ALCOHOLIC!
Reply 3
It's against the law.
Now She's An Alcoholic!
Reply 5
forbidden seems to be wrong word to use, I was thinking you were asking if it was against Uni policies or something.

They have a point, if it doesn't work out and you have to live with each other it could get very very awkward, but you seem to really have a thing for him, you may as well try.
Reply 6
Instincts_2012
Now She's An Alcoholic!

What??

joey11223
forbidden seems to be wrong word to use, I was thinking you were asking if it was against Uni policies or something.

They have a point, if it doesn't work out and you have to live with each other it could get very very awkward, but you seem to really have a thing for him, you may as well try.

No, sorry, we're going to be living off-campus in a house anyway.
The thing is, I get on well with most of my exes, I'm best friends with one of them and would feel entirely comfortable living with him. But people seem to be so against the idea...like they just assume it's going to go wrong.
Reply 7
I went out with my flatmate just after the end of freshers... still going four years later...

Go for it OP, you only live once.
Reply 8
LOL, do I know you IRL.
I swear my friend is having this exact same problem.
Reply 9
js374
I went out with my flatmate just after the end of freshers... still going four years later...

Go for it OP, you only live once.

Omg, that's so good to know! Thank you!

Wanischa
LOL, do I know you IRL.
I swear my friend is having this exact same problem.

Nope, no one knows I like him apart from one of the other housemates and some of my best friends (UCAS 2010).
Reply 10
As much as I hate to admit this, my ex of almost 2 years is dating her flatmate. They've been together for about half a year now so I suppose it could work. I wouldn't recommend it though.
Reply 11
Where do all these silly questions come from?
Reply 12
It'd be pretty daft to have a relationship with someone you have to live with for a year but if you two screw knowing that nothing is gonna come out of it except a really good night then there's no harm in that.
Reply 13
Make sure it's good. Just take all your clothes off and get into his bed in the middle of the night.
Reply 14
Make sure it's good. Just take all your clothes off and get into his bed in the middle of the night.

LOL. That would actually be the funniest thing ever. It would be worth it just for his face, even if he said gtfo of my bed.
Reply 15
Anonymous
Or should I make it very clear that we can't be serious like that, but keep it at casual occasional sex or something

Don't say this if what you REALLY want is a LTR with the guy.

Once a guy knows a girl is a spunk bucket it's hard for him to take her seriously as a girlfriend because he figures "if she does this with me, she'll be doing it with a bunch of other guys".

If you want serious you need to get serious.

Don't think there is anything wrong with dating your flatmate.
Living together puts pressure on the relationship.

Normally if you wanted to meet up with your romantic interest, they are going to be living in another flat / area where if they fancy some time to themselves or to spend just with mates then they can easily tell you that or make up an excuse. Same applies vice versa. However if you are in the same house/flat then you may be literally a door away in which case both of you are going to be on top of each other (in all senses of that phrase) a great deal more and things can very quickly get irksome if one of you are not in the mood or just want to "me-time".

It sounds like you could come to some arrangement where you give each other time, but it will always hurt if the other says "sorry I don't want to see you tonight".
Reply 17
Anonymous
Omg, that's so good to know! Thank you!

Nope, no one knows I like him apart from one of the other housemates and some of my best friends (UCAS 2010).

I was in Ucas 2010 :wink:
But I don't think you are the only one with that problem.
Uni tends to put people that they think will get on well together anyway :tongue:
Reply 18
Walk into his shower and have some passionate sex. This clearly is a sexual and not a love thing lol
It will turn sour, I witnessed exactly this happening, the ending was not nice...., and they still hate each other.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending