The Student Room Group

revocation of offer

Dear all,

may i ask if revocation of third parties is permissible by law? if yes, how can the 'reliability' of third parties be determined? via the objective test? how do you determine the objectivity? i.e what is being considered in the objective test?

I have another question too.. are there any past cases whereby the offeree is intent on claiming that it is the offeror who revoke the offer? and not the offeror who wants to revoke the offer. In this case, the offeror wants to enforce the offer which has been accepted but the offeree claims that the offeror has revoked the offer.

Sincere thanks for helping me out in this
Read your textbook?

Sorry, but it should all be in there.
Reply 2
actually i did.. and have been looking through many others too.. i do know that offers can be impliedly revoked, but they are still some gray areas on revocation by third parties.. how 'reliable' the third parties are.. they didn't give any thing about objective tests though
Reply 3
I'm not sure if i understand your question. Revocation of what by a third party? Of an offer to enter a contract?
Reply 4
yjlouisa
Dear all,

may i ask if revocation of third parties is permissible by law? if yes, how can the 'reliability' of third parties be determined? via the objective test? how do you determine the objectivity? i.e what is being considered in the objective test?

I have another question too.. are there any past cases whereby the offeree is intent on claiming that it is the offeror who revoke the offer? and not the offeror who wants to revoke the offer. In this case, the offeror wants to enforce the offer which has been accepted but the offeree claims that the offeror has revoked the offer.

Sincere thanks for helping me out in this

How should one 'revoke' a third party? Even as a remedy to breach of contract, it seems a little - how shall we put it - harsh. :rolleyes:

Also, for reference: 'impliedly' should be implicitly; 'offeror' and 'offeree' should be promissor and promissee, respectively. Unless I misconstrue (which, given the decidedly esoteric nature of your inquiry, would not come as any great surprise).
Reply 5
Hello,

Dickinson v Dodds is authority that communication of the withdrawal of an offer may come from a third party. As for the reliability of the third party I would imagine that is would be a question of fact, not law. Your not the only one to think that the law in this area is unclear- Treital (10th Ed. p.40) argues the same. If you have some sort of problem/essay question to answer on this I think you must try and argue it both ways, then come to a settled conclusion.

As for your the second question I guess it would depend on what evidence of withdrawal there is. You might find the answer here:http://lawresourc.superihost.com/contract/agreement.html

How should one 'revoke' a third party? Even as a remedy to breach of contract, it seems a little - how shall we put it - harsh.

Also, for reference: 'impliedly' should be implicitly; 'offeror' and 'offeree' should be promissor and promissee, respectively. Unless I misconstrue (which, given the decidedly esoteric nature of your inquiry, would not come as any great surprise).

You should listen to yourself; you sound so pompous! I think what she was trying to say was clear enough.
Offeror and offeree are perfectly acceptable - don't listen to Profesh! However, you would do best to go with the terminology used by your lecturer. Both sets of labels are used widely in cases, but in the wider common-law world offeror and offeree are much more common...

Also - don't get too caught up on questions of fact such as the reliability of a third party... It will be enough for you to raise the issue, discuss the relevant case law and say that it is, at the end of the day, a question to be answered in court. If you want to, come down on one side, but the questions of law are where you'll need to focus your efforts.

Remember - questions of fact are usually never in doubt, and the deepest analysis you will have to offer is whether the facts fall into a legal framework. In this case they do, but the framework is simple and uncomplicated, even if it is a little underdeveloped.
Reply 7
Profesh

For goodness sake, don't listen to him. In legal textbooks and essays, it is not only acceptable, but EXPECTED that you stick to legal terminology. Offeror makes an offer to an offeree. Some things can be conveyed expressly or impliedly. This IS the terminology used in English contract law!
Reply 8
lawgrad
For goodness sake, don't listen to him. In legal textbooks and essays, it is not only acceptable, but EXPECTED that you stick to legal terminology. Offeror makes an offer to an offeree. Some things can be conveyed expressly or impliedly. This IS the terminology used in English contract law!

Then I misconstrue.

(Still waiting for the all-but inevitable 'pwned', courtesy of Addict.) :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending