The Student Room Group
Reply 1
i applied last moth, i havent heard nothin yet :mad: lol
sweetie999
i applied last moth, i havent heard nothin yet :mad: lol

same here, but got another job now - god i hate working :frown:
Reply 3
ive got a marks and spencer interview on wed. im scared they will rject me cos they mite ask me to do hours or days im not available n apparently they reject u if u cnt, even if u pass the assesment
well i worked for boots opticians, last year and i have to say they were really good, the pay was exceltent for someone who was 16 turning 17 at £6.22 an hour in the cambridge store i eart about £1,200 over the christmas period. which was pretty good, i an not sure what the wages are like for the other branches of boots, but i know if you want to do adminastration for the opticians then there is good money there for you.
Reply 5
daniel_williams
well i worked for boots opticians, last year and i have to say they were really good, the pay was exceltent for someone who was 16 turning 17 at £6.22 an hour in the cambridge store i eart about £1,200 over the christmas period. which was pretty good, i an not sure what the wages are like for the other branches of boots, but i know if you want to do adminastration for the opticians then there is good money there for you.

#

Thanks for the reply. :smile:
Is there much difference in wages if you worked as an operations assistant or sales assistant in comparison to the opticians?
Reply 6
daniel_williams

What kind of dates are we talking about for the "christmas period"? because I have a term time job which finishes on the 9th of December, is that too late to get a Christmas temp job?
Rachel
What kind of dates are we talking about for the "christmas period"? because I have a term time job which finishes on the 9th of December, is that too late to get a Christmas temp job?

Most places recruiting now would want you to be available earlier than that. Any way of fitting it in or leaving the term time job early?
my friends work in boots. sundays is 1 and a half pay. so pay is pretty good
Reply 9
Tarts_n_Vicars
Most places recruiting now would want you to be available earlier than that. Any way of fitting it in or leaving the term time job early?

Not really, unless I quit the said term time job which tbh i'm considering as I'm not enjoying it much at all.
Reply 10
At 17 you'll probably start off low - I started at £3.51 an hour. Thena fter 6 months it went up, then when I turned 18 it went up and then when I got my qualification it went up again and I finished at a good hourly rate. Xmas temps won't be getting the good pay, in general.
i worked as an ops assistant at boots over xmas once. never again. the pay was good but the working conditions were rock bottom...
elmmebs
#

Thanks for the reply. :smile:
Is there much difference in wages if you worked as an operations assistant or sales assistant in comparison to the opticians?

i'm not eintirely sure but it depends where abouts in the country the boots store is as wages vary from place to place, see cambridge is in the south east which pay higher wages than the north east becasue cost of living here is much higher. and again with sales assitants or operations assistants it depends on which department it is, because they have pharmacy, beauty, home and a few other departments inside boots, working in the opticians around christmas is a slow period, so i got paid a fair emmount for not doing much, because people don't want to spend the extra money around christmas. but working in the store a bit of advice would be to say you can work certain days and get paid for those, but ask if they need help on other days and get overtime because over time at boots is time and a half wages so you cna make even more money.

best of luck with getting a job with them, they are a good company to work for. also if you work for them part time after the festive period you can get a discount card for you and another member of your family which is really good
Rachel

the christmas period i am talking about was forking from the end of october on saturdays through to second week of january, but i did over time on a lot of days and got time and a half for it and working for 7 and a half hours a day on £6.22 and 3 out of every 5 days getting time and a half, plus recieving a christmas bonus for the whole optics department for reaching targets through the last year, it came to about £1,200 from the end of october through to january.
Reply 14
davesstones
i worked as an ops assistant at boots over xmas once. never again. the pay was good but the working conditions were rock bottom...

Was it really that bad??
Reply 15
How did u guys go abt applying for the boots xmas temps jobs? Did u ask instore?
AnGeLeYeS
How did u guys go abt applying for the boots xmas temps jobs? Did u ask instore?

well mine was kond of co-incidental, they were sesperate in the opticians at the cambridge branchj for someone to do admin work and my cousin was one of the dispensers at the time, and they asked her is she had a younger brother/ssiter who could come in over christmas and help out, so she suggested me and it was a case of a phone call to the manager and i had a job, i didn't even have to fill out an application form or send off a cv so it was jsut chance really that i managed to get e job there.
Reply 17
daniel_williams
well mine was kond of co-incidental, they were sesperate in the opticians at the cambridge branchj for someone to do admin work and my cousin was one of the dispensers at the time, and they asked her is she had a younger brother/ssiter who could come in over christmas and help out, so she suggested me and it was a case of a phone call to the manager and i had a job, i didn't even have to fill out an application form or send off a cv so it was jsut chance really that i managed to get e job there.

Wow, thats real lucky!
elmmebs
Has anyone ever worked for Boots? What is it like?

I was wondering what the wages were for xmas temps?

Any replies will be greatly appreciated. :smile:

I thought you meant working, to buy a pair of boots then! Was gonna say, materialistic cow! :wink:
Reply 19
yeah i was an xmas temp for boots last year - really wouldnt recommend it though, was on £4 an hour as one of the operations assistants but they messed up all my wages and i didnt get paid until the end of january so was broke all over xmas anyway! oh yeah and the store i worked in was soooo busy on xmas eve/when the sale started it really wasnt that great.....!

Latest

Trending

Trending