The Student Room Group

The Royal Mail Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by yashradia

Got the job. :biggrin:

Is my pay going to be taxed? i am a student though

Christmas RM here we all come :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

If you're a full-time student working only in holiday periods then you may (if the Royal Mail choose to operate the procedure) be able to receive your income without any deduction of Income Tax that might otherwise be payable by completing a form P38(S) and handing this in to the Royal Mail. You can get a copy of the form from here: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/forms/p38s.pdf

Otherwise, depending on the level of your income you may still not have to pay any Income Tax, but you should make sure that you're placed onto the correct 'tax code' (shown on your payslips, and most likely "647L") by either completing a form P46 for the Royal Mail when starting work (http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/forms/p46.pdf), or handing in a form P45 from a previous job that you left since 6 April 2010.
Original post by Einheri
Cool. How old are you? I'm 21 so I'm guessing that would be different than, for instance, an eighteen-year-old. Congrats on getting the job aswell! :smile:

18. Most there were early-mid twenties I reckon, with one woman probably closer to forty. Age/experience doesn't really matter - if you can work legally in the UK and put letters in a bag then you've got a good chance.
Thanks.

Original post by lolimemma
What did people wear for the registration day? Smart/Casual?

Smart for me. No need to go too mad though...
Reply 82
Original post by lolimemma
What did people wear for the registration day? Smart/Casual?

Jeans and a hoody and I got a job. They don't care at all what you wear.

It's basically first come first served when it comes to shifts so long as you have all the correct documents.
Original post by HumorousGent.
18. Most there were early-mid twenties I reckon, with one woman probably closer to forty. Age/experience doesn't really matter - if you can work legally in the UK and put letters in a bag then you've got a good chance.
Thanks.

Smart for me. No need to go too mad though...

Thanks :smile: I was just planning on wearing trousers and shirt/a dress so nothing too over the top really!
Reply 84
Ive got a job here too but thing is i can't work one of the days as i've already brought tickets to a show.
but i dunno whether to just tell them i can't work that day and hope they don't mind too much or whether i should just ring in on the day and say iam ill ? any opinions?
Reply 85
Got the job. :biggrin:

Is my pay going to be taxed? i am a student though

Christmas RM here we all come :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Well done! Are you gonna be working full time? and what hours are you doing? I think I remember you saying before that you might be able to do full time, and i'm in the same situation, so I don't know whether to bother going to the interview :p:
Reply 86
i applied for the farnworth 1 and got the job.its not a interview its a registration event.
Reply 87
I've been invited to the Manchester registration event next Friday. Is it true that all the jobs have already been taken?
Reply 88
Original post by Ryan x
I've been invited to the Manchester registration event next Friday. Is it true that all the jobs have already been taken?

When did you apply?
Reply 89
I applied just like yesterday for Manchester, does that mean i wont get a reply.
Reply 90
Original post by vigilante
When did you apply?

October 1st. Got the reply yesterday.

Does anyone know if there's any jobs left?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 91
Original post by kizzz!
Well done! Are you gonna be working full time? and what hours are you doing? I think I remember you saying before that you might be able to do full time, and i'm in the same situation, so I don't know whether to bother going to the interview :p:

Yes yes they had about 40 vacancies available... you should still try... Mine is 6am - 2pm. they have night shifts for ministral site but God knows where that is.
Reply 92
Original post by Illusionary
If you're a full-time student working only in holiday periods then you may (if the Royal Mail choose to operate the procedure) be able to receive your income without any deduction of Income Tax that might otherwise be payable by completing a form P38(S) and handing this in to the Royal Mail. You can get a copy of the form from here: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/forms/p38s.pdf

Otherwise, depending on the level of your income you may still not have to pay any Income Tax, but you should make sure that you're placed onto the correct 'tax code' (shown on your payslips, and most likely "647L") by either completing a form P46 for the Royal Mail when starting work (http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/forms/p46.pdf), or handing in a form P45 from a previous job that you left since 6 April 2010.

Yes i am a student at uni. well contract starts on 6thdecember and uni shuts on 17th so its like i willbe working on holiday for just a week. My income will be £7.14 per hour and its 40 hours a week.
No its my first job so i have to complete p45 form regardless?:colondollar:

Yes i am a student at uni. well contract starts on 6thdecember and uni shuts on 17th so its like i willbe working on holiday for just a week. My income will be £7.14 per hour and its 40 hours a week.

At that level of income there shouldn't be any need to use the P38(S) procedure if you've not had any other income so far this tax year. I'd suggest completing a form P46 and giving this to HR/your manager, then checking the tax code that's shown on your first payslip.
Reply 94
Yes yes they had about 40 vacancies available... you should still try... Mine is 6am - 2pm. they have night shifts for ministral site but God knows where that is.

Thanks, would you be doing that shift everyday then? I'd only be able to work wednesdays, fridays, saturdays and sundays, until the holidays start, when i'd be able to do full time (i'm at uni too), do you think this is possible? :redface:
Reply 95
how many centres did you guys apply to?

i applied to 5 offices within london and still haven't had a reply :mad: ..i give up.
Reply 96
Original post by kizzz!
Thanks, would you be doing that shift everyday then? I'd only be able to work wednesdays, fridays, saturdays and sundays, until the holidays start, when i'd be able to do full time (i'm at uni too), do you think this is possible? :redface:

Thats the thing they dont allow that.. its strickly mon-fri because i too want a day off:mad:
Reply 97

how long is the contract for ?
Reply 98
Thats the thing they dont allow that.. its strickly mon-fri because i too want a day off:mad:

Guess there's no point going to the registration event then! :frown: such easy money though!!
how are you going to fit it in with your uni timetable?
Someone help me, I keep getting interviews for the wrong place! I live more than 30 miles away from where they require me to work, I put my nearest centre (which is about 5 miles away) but they have made some mistake. :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending