The Student Room Group

The Royal Mail Thread

I have my interview next week for 30 mins. What should i expect?:confused:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
just wondering what centre you applied too... i still haven't received any reply from them yet :frown:
Reply 2
Hemel hempstead
Reply 3
anyone tell me what to expect and what documets i have to take? They said they will email me but havent received the email yet:s-smilie:
Anyone apply for Mount Pleasant?

I've got no emails after submitting my form!
Reply 5
tweety bird
Anyone apply for Mount Pleasant?

I've got no emails after submitting my form!

I have and I haven't received any e-mails either. Applied on the 5th Oct, I suspect I wont hear back from them but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Reply 6
yashradia
anyone tell me what to expect and what documets i have to take? They said they will email me but havent received the email yet:s-smilie:

I would assume passport (drivers license is not a guaranteed acceptable form of identification/proof of your right to work in the UK. Best to play it safe and take a passport), National Insurance card, bank details and maybe some ID-card suitable photos (like passport photos).

Also according to other threads, they should email you with 2 documents (bank details form, and a health/safety form) that you're supposed to print out and bring with you as well.
Reply 7
I've got my interview tomorrow.
I was told to bring my original and a photocopy of passport and national insurance card. On my email that said I had an interview there were attachments for bank account details, contract, health/safety form and a checklist of stuff to take.
Reply 8
I've got mine on the 1st November. Anyone applying for the Bristol Mail Centre? Apparantly it's one of the biggest in the UK.
Reply 9
b1505
I've got my interview tomorrow.
I was told to bring my original and a photocopy of passport and national insurance card. On my email that said I had an interview there were attachments for bank account details, contract, health/safety form and a checklist of stuff to take.

Tell me all about it, like how it was and what questions they asked you :wink:

OH i dont have my passport, its back home:mad: BUT i have my liscense and also my NI number:eek:
Reply 10
Last I checked these interviews weren't terribly taxing. They're basically trying to work out:

a) are you basically competent enough to shuffle mail around without losing or damaging it (too much)
b) are you likely to steal, deliberately damage or otherwise tamper with the mail
c) are you in the country legally

If all of the above come out good, the next question will be:

d) what shift you want

Really, it's not a taxing job, the idea is just to add MORE PEOPLE so the company can cope with the massive upswings in volume around Christmas. They just want more basic labour essentially. :p:
Maynia, you're spot on. I went to a registration event yesterday and they didn't even interview me- I was pretty much offered the job on the spot.

Process went a bit like this:
-turn up, man ticks your name
-join queue, have documents checked (and photocopies made, at your expense)
-sit in a room watching a crappy presentation, waiting
-called through for interview

I actually turned up over an hour late (oops) but no-one but the guy ticking my name was aware of this so it had no impact on my interview.

My 'interview' was actually just a guy checking all my documents, asking if I was fine with the shift times etc. then saying 'I want to offer you this job'. I was pretty happy as it's the first job interview I've ever had! Nice bloke as well.

I did hear other people in the same room being asked questions but it didn't seem too taxing - it was just a large room with quite a few tables set out, interviewer on one side, interviewee on the other.

My contract details are 6th - 23rd December at the East London Sorting Office; 6pm - 5am shift (there was a 7pm - 6am available) from Monday night to Saturday morning; £6.50/hour; no uniform, just turn up in something fairly practical. The 'training' is just arriving 20 minutes early for your first shift, presumably to be shown how to throw letters in a bag (the 'presentation' in the conference room displayed that well enough for me)...

My interviewer recommended asking that during the contract you can ask your manage if there's any more work going, as that's how a lot of people get into Royal Mail. I'll definitely be doing so.

It's pure doss. Just turn up sober and you've got a few weeks of menial labour and about £1k in the bag.

Good luck.

(If anyone here's done it before, could you tell me when you got paid? I'm hoping it's before Christmas...)

EDIT: If you've not received an email with the list of stuff you need, here it is:

Step 1 – Ensure that you have printed your application form. If you have not printed you will need to log back onto your application and click on “Print Summary”.

Step 2 – Print out the attached bank details form and complete and bring to the Registration session with you. Royal Mail can only pay you through a bank account.

Step 3 - Print out the attached Health Consent form and complete and bring to the Registration session with you.

Step 4 – Attached is a guide to what you will be required to bring to the Registration session. You will not be offered a job unless you have all of the required documentation.
You will need:
• Proof of Identification
• The correct Right To Work documentation for the UK
• Proof of your current address (must be the same address you have applied on your application form).
• National insurance number (although not mandatory it MUST be supplied if using with a birth certificate to prove your right to work). .

The attached form will detail all the requirements you need. You will be required to bring photocopies of each document as well as the original.

Step 5 – You will also be required to bring a passport-sized photograph (45mm x 35mm) this is for your Identity card when you start work.

REMEMBER – If you do not bring the required documents, you will be turned away from the event and we will be unable to process your application.

Step 6 – Finally, book yourself onto a registration event.
Follow the link below and log onto your application you will see all the available dates and times so you can book your event on-line yourself.

There are a couple of forms attached which I can email to anyone if you've not received it from RM for whatever reason.

My printer ballsed up yesterday morning and printed everything in a sort of red and blue stripe, yet they barely cared.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 12
HumorousGent.
Maynia, you're spot on. I went to a registration event yesterday and they didn't even interview me- I was pretty much offered the job on the spot.

Process went a bit like this:
-turn up, man ticks your name
-join queue, have documents checked (and photocopies made, at your expense)
-sit in a room watching a crappy presentation, waiting
-called through for interview

I actually turned up over an hour late (oops) but no-one but the guy ticking my name was aware of this so it had no impact on my interview.

My 'interview' was actually just a guy checking all my documents, asking if I was fine with the shift times etc. then saying 'I want to offer you this job'. I was pretty happy as it's the first job interview I've ever had! Nice bloke as well.

I did hear other people in the same room being asked questions but it didn't seem too taxing - it was just a large room with quite a few tables set out, interviewer on one side, interviewee on the other.

My contract details are 6th - 23rd December at the East London Sorting Office; 6pm - 5am shift (there was a 7pm - 6am available) from Monday night to Saturday morning; £6.50/hour; no uniform, just turn up in something fairly practical. The 'training' is just arriving 20 minutes early for your first shift, presumably to be shown how to throw letters in a bag (the 'presentation' in the conference room displayed that well enough for me)...

My interviewer recommended asking that during the contract you can ask your manage if there's any more work going, as that's how a lot of people get into Royal Mail. I'll definitely be doing so.

It's pure doss. Just turn up sober and you've got a few weeks of menial labour and about £1k in the bag.

Good luck.

(If anyone here's done it before, could you tell me when you got paid? I'm hoping it's before Christmas...)

EDIT: If you've not received an email with the list of stuff you need, here it is:

Step 1 Ensure that you have printed your application form. If you have not printed you will need to log back onto your application and click on “Print Summary”.

Step 2 Print out the attached bank details form and complete and bring to the Registration session with you. Royal Mail can only pay you through a bank account.

Step 3 - Print out the attached Health Consent form and complete and bring to the Registration session with you.

Step 4 Attached is a guide to what you will be required to bring to the Registration session. You will not be offered a job unless you have all of the required documentation.
You will need:
Proof of Identification
The correct Right To Work documentation for the UK
Proof of your current address (must be the same address you have applied on your application form).
National insurance number (although not mandatory it MUST be supplied if using with a birth certificate to prove your right to work). .

The attached form will detail all the requirements you need. You will be required to bring photocopies of each document as well as the original.

Step 5 You will also be required to bring a passport-sized photograph (45mm x 35mm) this is for your Identity card when you start work.

REMEMBER If you do not bring the required documents, you will be turned away from the event and we will be unable to process your application.

Step 6 Finally, book yourself onto a registration event.
Follow the link below and log onto your application you will see all the available dates and times so you can book your event on-line yourself.

There are a couple of forms attached which I can email to anyone if you've not received it from RM for whatever reason.

My printer ballsed up yesterday morning and printed everything in a sort of red and blue stripe, yet they barely cared.

I've just got my email through but was wondering if you could choose your hours? I'm only going to be able to do friday, saturday and sundays until the 18th and then full time after that... do you think that would be possible?
kizzz!
I've just got my email through but was wondering if you could choose your hours? I'm only going to be able to do friday, saturday and sundays until the 18th and then full time after that... do you think that would be possible?

Nope, it's full time, 55 hours a week. The only choice you get is between the two shift patterns (assuming one isn't already full).

If you can't fill all the time available I don't think they'll offer you anything I'm afraid.
Reply 14
HumorousGent.
Nope, it's full time, 55 hours a week. The only choice you get is between the two shift patterns (assuming one isn't already full).

If you can't fill all the time available I don't think they'll offer you anything I'm afraid.

Oh noooooo, don't tell me that! :p:
kizzz!
Oh noooooo, don't tell me that! :p:

Well the declaration I've signed says 5 night week with my start and end dates, duty times etc.

At the bottom it says 'Please note that we will NOT be in a position to change your start date/shift time at a later date.'
I'm not sure if that's supposed to imply you can change it beforehand, but I doubt it. They want people to do the max no. of hours possible so asking for flexibility is unlikely to get you anywhere.

It may be worth a try but then again turning up just to ask may be a waste of time.

Good luck either way. :smile:
Reply 16
HumorousGent.
Well the declaration I've signed says 5 night week with my start and end dates, duty times etc.

At the bottom it says 'Please note that we will NOT be in a position to change your start date/shift time at a later date.'
I'm not sure if that's supposed to imply you can change it beforehand, but I doubt it. They want people to do the max no. of hours possible so asking for flexibility is unlikely to get you anywhere.

It may be worth a try but then again turning up just to ask may be a waste of time.

Good luck either way. :smile:

Well, when I applied, it stated that there were 3 shifts, 6am - 2pm, 2pm - 10pm and 10pm to 6am so i guess i was being a bit ambitious applying in the first place, seen as i have uni to fit in :p:
I've got my interview tomorrow, but I'm not really sure what to wear. It says it's casual, so should I just go in smart jeans and a t shirt, or actually full on interview wear lol?
kizzz!
Well, when I applied, it stated that there were 3 shifts, 6am - 2pm, 2pm - 10pm and 10pm to 6am so i guess i was being a bit ambitious applying in the first place, seen as i have uni to fit in :p:

When I applied it was clear there was only a night shift available, although it was 10-6, not the 6-5 I've now got! Which centre are you applying for?

It'll probably be very tiring doing 11 hours a day AND uni work! Luckily I'm on a gap year so I can sleep for 13 hours a day if I so wish :cool:

bringitonhome
I've got my interview tomorrow, but I'm not really sure what to wear. It says it's casual, so should I just go in smart jeans and a t shirt, or actually full on interview wear lol?

I thought mine said 'smart', so I went in shoes, shirt and trousers. No-one else looked quite as smart but most were wearing trousers and shoes.
Reply 19
Okay i dont have my passport here with me as i am a uni student, So is there a point in me going? Although i do have my license and its got my address as well.

And there is no way i can do full time:s It doesnt mention full time or part time though so i am confused.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending