The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Harrifer
That would be a logical assumption, but is it not true?

No - all it does is interfere with the process of heating up the inside of the duvet with your body heat for the first 10 minutes, and then interfere with that heat keeping you warm for the rest of the night. It amazes me the number of people don't seem to understand how duvets work.
I'm looking forward to Winter. I want to see the snow!
Ah, winter. That time of year where I can see my breath when I'm laying in bed trying to sleep.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 43
I love the cold. There's nothing better than waking up in the morning with frozen balls, followed by a warm shower.
Reply 44
Anoodles
Bwahahah my bills are all included in my termly accomodation fee - so I'll be turning my electric heater up nice & high.

PLANET KILLER!! do you go round stabbing seals with swords made from a rhinos horn?!

I love the winter for it's gloomy and dark feel it has :biggrin: ahhhhh I LOVE the UK
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 45
4TSR
PLANET KILLER!! do you go round stabbing seals with swords made from a rhinos horn?!

No no that would be evil! ...Just Narwhale horns :ninja:

Ahahah whoopsie I meant my er...eletric solar powered heater of course :p: .
Crazy Paving
Will you keep me warm? :colone:

Will you keep me warm?
rainbowbex
Will you keep me warm?

I asked you first.
Reply 48
Get a good hot water bottle, and wear a hat and tshirt to bed if it is too cold.
Maybe you will be lucky and can afford to switch the heating on !
Reply 49
I quite like cold winters - I can take the cold, but not the heat of summer.
Thermals, and sleeping in pyjamas.
Hot water bottles.
Central heating.
Close windows.

etc
Yay! I love the cold.

As for keeping warm, layering is the answer, both in your clothes and on the bed. A few thinner layers under a coat will keep you warmer than just a top and a huge coat and similarly a few thinner blankets will keep you warmer than one big duvet. Changing the bed sheets can be a pain in the arse though.

If your house is drafty, use some brown parcel tape to tape up gaps in and around windows and buy some draft excluders to put in front of doors. Or make some by stuffing the leg of a pair of tights with cotton wool/bits of cut up old clothes.

Good god, I sound more like my mother everyday.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 52
I pray to god that there's no ice again. :frown:
Beska
Are your houses/rooms really cold enough to have to invest in an emergency foil blanket? :zomg:

YES!! :frown:

Many of the flats I have previously stayed in had draughty windows, no central heating and really high ceilings. In winter, walking on the tiled floors was like walking on sheet ice and it was too cold to sit in the flat unless you were either in bed sleeping or cooking with the oven on.

Still, I thought last winter was great - we had deep snow for like 2 months :smile:
dhr90
Wrong. Initially the world warms up, then the ice caps melt and the current of warm water that keeps the UK warm in the winter (relatively) stops and suddenly we will get winters similar to other countires on our latitudes, like Northern USA, Canada and Poland...

The odds of this happening are not very good, actually.

It could happen, but it probably won't.

Latest

Trending

Trending