The Student Room Group

Who is the most iconic Black character in literature?

I was told in a lecture today that Othello was the most iconic Black character in literature. Is this true? I'm sure he's up there, but are there any others?

I don't want any answers like "Oh, he's been played by a black person before." I want explicitly black. I'm just curious after hearing that statement from the lecturer and I'm not that well read. Help me out :awesome:

Scroll to see replies

No, I am. /thread
Tom Robinson in 'To Kill A Mockingbird' would be amongst them maybe?
Reply 3
Original post by FormerlyHistoryStudent

Agreed. Nice choice.
Reply 4
I would have thought The Green Lantern was up there.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5
I was about to say the guy from To Kill a Mockingbird, but I see someone got there before me.

Him, and yes, as you pointed out, Othello.

I honestly can't think of any others...

No.. he did nothing.
Reply 7
Original post by Colonel Brusnahan
I was told in a lecture today that Othello was the most iconic Black character in literature. Is this true? I'm sure he's up there, but are there any others?

I don't want any answers like "Oh, he's been played by a black person before." I want explicitly black. I'm just curious after hearing that statement from the lecturer and I'm not that well read. Help me out :awesome:

Off-topic but I believe George Osborne was educated in St Pauls not Eton
Reply 8
Not Othello, for sure. There aren't many black characters in fiction, oddly enough. If literature only, I guess Okonkwo. If not - Morpheus for show.

Or Gandalf
Original post by Anonymous-
No.. he did nothing.

Depends on what your definition of iconic is. To me he is iconic, because of all he symbolises. Doesn't matter if he has a rather passive role in the book. The vast majority of people will struggle to think of any Black character more iconic in literature than him and Othello.
Depends on what your definition of iconic is. To me he is iconic, because of all he symbolises. Doesn't matter if he has a rather passive role in the book. The vast majority of people will struggle to think of any Black character more iconic in literature than him and Othello.

Fair point.
Black Beauty :biggrin:
I'd say Othello overall. But depending on what social groups and in which country, I'd say Shaft from Ernest Tidyman's novels could be an option? I mean, he's well-known from the films but he is, essentially, a literary character?
Reply 13
Jesus Christ.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 14
Your mum
Reply 15
Blaise Zabini in Harry Potter. He touched the souls of a country, truly.
to kill a mockingbird dude....

or the great gatsby...It doesn't say he is black....but it is heavily infered
Reply 17
Othello, because at the time everyone was shocked that Shakespeare dared to use a black man in his plays. Back then they wouldn't let black people on the stage, so the character of Othello was played by white men with dark make up on.
Reply 18
Aaron from Titus Andronicus? He was my second thought after Othello.
Okonkwo from Things Fall Apart. Altough I would say Othello is more influential

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending