The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Is Durham really as boring as some people say?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by angelmxxx
monday - academy/studio
tuesday - jimmy allen's & then studio 50p night / klute
weds - ebony champagne bar student night (half price cocktails) or lloyd's & then loveshack wednesdays
thursday - studio / klute
friday - slug & lettuce 2 for 1 cocktails & then planet of sound (student union, 1000 students) / klute
saturday - revolver (student union) - or film soc shows films a couple of months after they were released into cinemas for £2 (£1 for film soc members), or college bar crawls - saturday night is mainly locals night in town so not many students go out then.
sunday - klute

Also there are 14 college bars in Durham (£1.50 a pint) + the debating society's bar, so bar crawls are really popular any night of the week.

Add in house parties (with 2nd and 3rd years), corridor parties (in college), formals in college which usually have free bops after them, the occasional night out in newcastle....YOU WILL NEVER BE BORED UNLESS YOU'RE A REALLY REALLY BORING PERSON!

Klute 4 times a week! Are you a Hatfield girl?

Anyway, I agree that Durham is great fun, there's always stuff going on in the colleges and various venues in the city. The city doesn't need to be big to be exciting, I didn't go to Newcastle very often and even when I did, I was just to have a bit of variety, it wasn't necessarily any "better"
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by Chwirkytheappleboy
Klute 4 times a week! Are you a Hatfield girl?

Anyway, I agree that Durham is great fun, there's always stuff going on in the colleges and various venues in the city. The city doesn't need to be big to be exciting, I didn't go to Newcastle very often and even when I did, I was just to have a bit of variety, it wasn't necessarily any "better"

I didn't mean I go out every night of the week! Just that those are the options.

Haha, I'm not in Hatfield, did go to Klute 4 times in a week last year though, but never managed 7 nights out in a row :frown:
Reply 22
A place is only as boring as you make it. The typical "good night out" is in my opinion a refuge for boring people doing repetitive boring things.

All that said if you do enjoy clubs, based on my limited experience Durham is just like everywhere else only smaller. However theres a lot of student only stuff that makes up for it imo, its smaller but all the people there are people you can engage blah blah blah
Reply 23
Boring= good anyway.

Boring= higher degree class.
Reply 24

I didn't mean I go out every night of the week! Just that those are the options.

Haha, I'm not in Hatfield, did go to Klute 4 times in a week last year though, but never managed 7 nights out in a row :frown:

I know people who did Klute 7 nights in a row last year. Might even have been 8, I don't remember. I was quite impressed.
Original post by JakeNielen
Yeah, i loved the uni and the town so much. Just worried that i might end up twiddling my thumbs on a friday night if i end up going :smile: You have put my mind at ease :smile:

ive lived here all my life if you dont think durham is bouncing enough (it not as lively as Newcastle but still a good night out) then try sunderland taxi back will be around £15 so split between 4 of you is perfectly managable
Reply 26
I live in Durham (well, near) and the nightlife is terrible. It's got a few clubs (drinks are around £3+ each) and it's full of old men that prey on 18 year old girls. Beware of loveshack -.-.

Newcastle is only a train away, but the train also stops at 11pm, so you would be forking back for a taxi home every time you went, and they cost an absolute bomb.

Sunderland is around the same distance from Durham as Newcastle too; but student nights are now overrun by 14-16 year olds due to the bouncers not caring how goes in or out. You'd need to get a bus there or two taxi's which would be about £80.
It's pretty ridiculous.
Reply 27
People talking about going to Newcastle, the first train in the morning is at 4am ive heard, so people just get that train back.
The train is pretty cheap too, I think I paid about £4.50 for an anytime return when I went to the football the other week.
The nightlife is pretty good actually, im not a big clubbing kinda guy but (some of) the college bars are good and a lot of people stay til closing and then go home, bar crawls are popular too. Locals can be annoying though, especially if youre a girl, ive seen locals try and dance with girls for about half an hour before theyve got the hint and moved onto another girl.
Original post by A-pologies
I live in Durham (well, near) and the nightlife is terrible. It's got a few clubs (drinks are around £3+ each) and it's full of old men that prey on 18 year old girls. Beware of loveshack -.-.

Newcastle is only a train away, but the train also stops at 11pm, so you would be forking back for a taxi home every time you went, and they cost an absolute bomb.

Sunderland is around the same distance from Durham as Newcastle too; but student nights are now overrun by 14-16 year olds due to the bouncers not caring how goes in or out. You'd need to get a bus there or two taxi's which would be about £80.
It's pretty ridiculous.

I take it you've only been out on non-student nights?
Student night drinks are £1 or £2 and only students are allowed in - so no old men at all!!
Reply 30
I went clubbing 4 or 5 times a week on average last year and never got bored of it - you're only in Durham for 9 weeks at a time (I know you all year but most students go home in the holidays, especially Freshers!) so no time to get bored!

I don't deny that people can go out a number of times, going to the same few clubs, and not get bored. But I did say if you want a large number and a range of clubs, Durham may not suit. It's just the case that not everyone needs, or wants, such variety.

Original post by A-pologies

There's a bus service during the weekend (running throughout the early hours of the morning) and some people wait until the early morning train anyway.

THroughout the week then you'd need to rely on a taxi or train, yes. Taxis can be more manageable if you share with four or five people. That would make the fare about the same as a return train fee but, even so, £5 is still a large amount for me and some other students. That's a fifth of my entire social-life weekly budget :p:
Reply 31
Every college has a bar.

Depending on your definition of the word parties in college accomodation will be prohibited

But most students really aren't sitting in, twiddling their thumbs, needing to have their own parties. Most take advantage of the college bars, the pubs (Durham still offers a decent few good pubs, despite its lack of a huge number of clubs) and the few clubs it does offer. As some others have said, they're able to go out six times a week, to clubs as well as the SU, (so Planet of Sound, Jazz Cafe, Revolver, Jimmy Allens, Loveshack, Klute, Studio) and don't get bored.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 32
Not that ive experienced so far; a lot of people will drink in the kitchens with their flatmates or in someones bedroom in a corridor and have pre-drinks before they go out anywhere just to save money although I prefer going to the bar. I think so far weve been on a Bailey bar crawl once every two weeks and people in the societies do it a lot more so you dont have to stay in your own colleges bar although I cant say ive ever gone to another colleges bar unless its been part of a crawl.

To be honest im pretty bored of most of the clubs now, most people only really go to Studio or Klute. Live Lounge is one of my favourites places, you could actually move on the dancefloor there and the music was good, I dont know anyone whos actually gone back to Loft since Freshers Week though. Once youre here though you kind of pick up on the student nights everywhere, on a Monday its Klute for me because im in Cuths, Tuesday is always Studio, Wednesday is Loveshack and then I dont know any others :redface:
Reply 33
Depends on what you mean by harder, really......I found my first year easier than A-levels (from an academic point of view it was comparable, from a personal point of view easier).

I'm not saying I did this, just a few on this thread have and these are usually first years. You certainly won't be able to go out five or six times a week as a finalist!

Quick Reply

Latest