The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
pjtailor
Hi guys,

Just wanted to know whether any of you are going to do the law conversion course after your 3years of history?

....and seeing as though history is my favourite subject, do you believe this is the best route into law?

Any advice would be welcome,

cheers :smile:

a guy at my college going into his third year of history tripos has just got an offer from one of the biggest law firms in london to have his conversion course and LPC paid for and a guaranteed job. He did all the interviews and tests in his second year and worked at a firm in the summer. Nice work if oyu can get it...i'd like to go down that route myself if possible actually.
Reply 2
I plan to do that, it's a long way off for me though!
Reply 3
I think it's quite common, it's better not to do a law degree, spend three years doing something you really love and then one year converting it into something that can take you where you eventually want to get.
Reply 4
Yeah this is exactly what I was thinking, law is where I see myself in the next 10years but during that period I would rather pursue something of real intrest.

With a bit of luck, I will get sponsored as well, as I have heard conversion courses cost alot!!!
Reply 5
i was thinking of doing the conversion course too but i have no idea how to go about it or if i really want to do it in the end lol... i'll stick with history and see where the next coupla years take me!

hmm as u can tell im bored so that's why im online posting loads durin my gap year lol
Reply 6
Yeah, well i cant decide just now between history or law for my degree. Law seems a lot of work though, and a few things put me against the degree although i do see myself much more in a job in that area. I'd probably end up being at uni a long time though if i was doing my history and then a law conversion, and it would cost sooo much, but its always an option. Are law conversion courses regarded as highly as the degree??
pjtailor
Hi guys,

Just wanted to know whether any of you are going to do the law conversion course after your 3years of history?

....and seeing as though history is my favourite subject, do you believe this is the best route into law?

It seems to be a common option for many history grads. I considered it for a while last year but considering my only motivation for law would be money i wouldnt bother.
Reply 8
I'm thinking of doing that. Don't know yet though.
Reply 9
Possibly. I initially wanted to do Law at uni but decided against it.

I'd rather do Journalism than Law afterwards though.
Reply 10
pjtailor
Hi guys,

Well, I'm doing it the other way round (conversion course first, history degree second) :wink: but I believe your way is considered to be very respectable :smile:. History graduates are viewed very positively by law firms.

:smile:
Not me. I don't care about money, and so will stay in History. Is it sad aspiring to be a professor?
Reply 12
Not at all....if history is your passion then you should do that. I might even go down that route as I am going to study history...hopefully!
im thinking of doing that, but will see how these nest 2 years go first!
FadeToBlackout
Not me. I don't care about money, and so will stay in History. Is it sad aspiring to be a professor?

Not at all! I may have had enough after 3 years, but it's something I'd always planned on trying to achieve, although I'm not so sure anymore. Def. not law though! English Heritage all the way for me! (who am I kidding, I'm going to become a teacher, tis in my blood) :p: :smile:
Reply 15
White_redrose
Not at all! I may have had enough after 3 years, but it's something I'd always planned on trying to achieve, although I'm not so sure anymore. Def. not law though! English Heritage all the way for me! (who am I kidding, I'm going to become a teacher, tis in my blood) :p: :smile:

I wonder if i know you?? What papers do you study? I do 18, 9 and 4 myself.
FadeToBlackout
hehe, I wrote on my PS that I wanted to go into academia (because I do!) and my friends thought I was *seriously* weird... My teacher approved though!
But can I carry off tweed? I really don't want to become John Guy ("read my latest book! See my Channel 4 documentary!") and would much rather be Tristram Hunt. Although without the name, looks or Labour affiliation. (Sorry, Rhi!)

Papers 6, 11, and I can't remember which European one! 14xx-> something or other.

My plan is BA, work for a year or so to pay some debts, MPhil, then PhD.

Niccolo: Do I know you? I've probably seen you around, but don't know what you look like. it's all mysterious! I could have walked right past all you peeps in our (rather nice, I think) faculty and not known it was you...
FadeToBlackout
But can I carry off tweed? I really don't want to become John Guy ("read my latest book! See my Channel 4 documentary!") and would much rather be Tristram Hunt. Although without the name, looks or Labour affiliation. (Sorry, Rhi!)

Papers 6, 11, and I can't remember which European one! 14xx-> something or other.

My plan is BA, work for a year or so to pay some debts, MPhil, then PhD.

Niccolo: Do I know you? I've probably seen you around, but don't know what you look like. it's all mysterious! I could have walked right past all you peeps in our (rather nice, I think) faculty and not known it was you...

Erm...our faculty is in the running for most hideous building on the Sidgwick site...
Reply 19
xx_ambellina_xx
Erm...our faculty is in the running for most hideous building on the Sidgwick site...

yeah, but at least the library is nice-ish to work in. The law one, nice though the building is, is hateful to study in-i had to do it the other day as i needed the non-removable law and history journal for an essay. I can just about put up with the vile architecture and drab lecture rooms of the history faculty. What papers do you do? Fadetoblackout: I probably have seen you around, but i dont do your papers, so we probs havent spoken...

Latest

Trending

Trending