The Student Room Group

Need help with A-Level options?

Hi, I made this thread to seek advice from people on what A-Level subjects to take. Currently I'm predicted straight A*'s at GCSE's and I will try my hardest to achieve those hopefully. We have to give suggestions on what subjects we would like to take in AS and A-Level's by January.

Subjects that interest me :

Maths
Physics
Chemistry
Economics
English

The minimum requirement in our school is four AS Level and 3 full A-Levels

I want to take on 5 or maybe even 6

I want to chose : Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Economics, English Lang or Literature

The reason I want to take English is because I want my English to further improve so I can communicate in essays on other subjects better.

Also, in the future I might be going to study in America rather than the UK. Is it better to take an IB or AP course instead of A-Levels instead?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I would personally stick with A Levels, but thats my own preference.

Id say choose lit over lang as in most situations its more respected and will aid you in your essay writing skills far more.

Its good to have a combo of science/humanities I think you've got it nailed. Wouldnt do more than 5 though, its just too much.
Reply 2
Lit over Lang definitely, but Lit probably takes more time+effort so only if you can handle it (u are taking 5/6 subjects). I think 6 subjects may be a little too much.....

From what i heard, US uni prefer IB as it is closer to their system, but u should go for the one you can score good grades in as that is more important :smile:

Congrats 4 ur GCSEs
Reply 3
Well, Lit is more highly regarded than lang but it's quite hard (closed book exams aren't fun!)
Also,I did 5 ASs last year and it was hard because I was trying to have a bit of a life too...if you do 6, unless you're insanely clever (I'm not saying you're not btw) you won't really be able to do much other than study
But all your options are good academic options :smile:
Good luck in your gcses :smile:
Reply 4
Thanks for the replies.

If I manage to score A* in all my A-Levels and do a lot of work experience and other stuff then how good of a chance do I have to getting into Cambridge or Oxford?

Also, how many people who have done A-Levels get into top universities in America such as the Ivy League schools?
Reply 5
Original post by aliakhtar

If I manage to score A* in all my A-Levels and do a lot of work experience and other stuff then how good of a chance do I have to getting into Cambridge or Oxford?

Don't bother doing 6, untill you've started them it's easy to underestimate how much take they're gonna take up. Oh and i'm sure you can answer that question yourself really :P but then again don't assume just because you have great grades/experience whatever you'll get because loadsssss of other people do too :smile:
Reply 6
guys sorry about interrupting..bt how do i make a thread?
Reply 7
Original post by Coolkat
guys sorry about interrupting..bt how do i make a thread?

Click on "start new thread" in the forum you want to post in.
Reply 8
Original post by emma363
Don't bother doing 6, untill you've started them it's easy to underestimate how much take they're gonna take up. Oh and i'm sure you can answer that question yourself really :P but then again don't assume just because you have great grades/experience whatever you'll get because loadsssss of other people do too :smile:

Well I've looked at the courses and discussed the courses of all the subjects with my teachers. I think I can handle the workload as I'm giving some AS Units of Maths this year to make life easier next year. What do you think? I believe I can handle it as I understand concepts fairly quick
Reply 9

Well I've looked at the courses and discussed the courses of all the subjects with my teachers. I think I can handle the workload as I'm giving some AS Units of Maths this year to make life easier next year. What do you think? I believe I can handle it as I understand concepts fairly quick

Hmm well at the end of the day only you know how much work you can cope with but even if you can cope okay you're not going to have the best social life ever! Though it depends on what's most important and what you want to sacrifice...

On another note how do you even timetable six subjects, at my school if you take five you have one free a fortnight :lol:
Reply 10
Original post by emma363
Hmm well at the end of the day only you know how much work you can cope with but even if you can cope okay you're not going to have the best social life ever! Though it depends on what's most important and what you want to sacrifice...

On another note how do you even timetable six subjects, at my school if you take five you have one free a fortnight :lol:

I don't think so - the social life part. Like I said I manage to do understand stuff quickly so I think that I would have to put the same amount of time into 6 AS as people would put into 4 AS. I will self study one AS Level :smile:
Reply 11
I'd say
Maths
F Maths
Chemistry
Physics
English Lit
Reply 12

I would have to put the same amount of time into 6 AS as people would put into 4 AS

don't be cocky :biggrin:
Reply 13
I'm not. I'm just saying I have confidence in myself and I think I can do 5/6 AS

Thanks for the advice BookWormShanti. I was thinking of cutting back Economics and going for Science only aswell.
You sound pretty confident, but there's plenty of time to decide. Believe me don't take 6, 4 is bad enough, you'll struggle a bit no matter how clever you are. I thought 4 was bad, but when i got to A2 and only had to do 3 i was like yes plenty of free's but the workload only serves to increase. Plus self studying an A level is not good, you need the teachers there, a text book may be good for revision but it can't replace teacher.
I don't think so - the social life part. Like I said I manage to do understand stuff quickly so I think that I would have to put the same amount of time into 6 AS as people would put into 4 AS. I will self study one AS Level :smile:

Well sooory smartass but you really are underetimating A levels :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by swiftylol
Well sooory smartass but you really are underetimating A levels :smile:

Maybe I am I guess. I'll take all of your advice into account but how does this sound

For AS Level :

Option 1

English Lang
Maths
Further Maths
Chemistry
Physics

Option 2

Maths
Further Maths
Chemistry
Physics
Biology

For A-Level :

Maths
Further Maths
Chemistry
Physics
Maybe I am I guess. I'll take all of your advice into account but how does this sound

For AS Level :

Option 1

English Lang
Maths
Further Maths
Chemistry
Physics

Option 2

Maths
Further Maths
Chemistry
Physics
Biology

For A-Level :

Maths
Further Maths
Chemistry
Physics

That should be fine if you can handle it, just remember good GCSE results do not mean you will get good A level reults, it just means you did well at GCSE.

Tho', you do sound cockey enough to put the effort in but just dont expect any free time
Reply 18
Original post by swiftylol
That should be fine if you can handle it, just remember good GCSE results do not mean you will get good A level results, it just means you did well at GCSE.

Tho', you do sound cocky enough to put the effort in but just don't expect any free time

Thanks and yes I can be cocky sometimes but I have high confidence in myself because I know I'm hardworking. I don't think anyone can expect free time in A-Levels. At least if they want decent grades so thanks again ! :smile:
Reply 19
Hi, I made this thread to seek advice from people on what A-Level subjects to take. Currently I'm predicted straight A*'s at GCSE's and I will try my hardest to achieve those hopefully. We have to give suggestions on what subjects we would like to take in AS and A-Level's by January.

Subjects that interest me :

Maths
Physics
Chemistry
Economics
English

The minimum requirement in our school is four AS Level and 3 full A-Levels

I want to take on 5 or maybe even 6

I want to chose : Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Economics, English Lang or Literature

The reason I want to take English is because I want my English to further improve so I can communicate in essays on other subjects better.

Also, in the future I might be going to study in America rather than the UK. Is it better to take an IB or AP course instead of A-Levels instead?

Unless you're doing further maths as an extra AS/A level then I wouldn't bother taking any extra A levels - can I make it clear that Universities don't care whether you have 5 or 6 a levels... They want 3 a levels at the end of the day.

Trust me finish with 3 good a levels rather than 5 averagely graded a levels.

Quick Reply

Latest