The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Anyone heard from imperial college Biochemistry yet???

Scroll to see replies

Original post by There will be Particles
Thanks very much for letting us know, even with half the course missing I would rather go to Imperial than anywhere else :rolleyes:

even though they have sacked pretty much everyone who used to teach?:rolleyes:
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 21
Guys, the situation definitely won't turn out to be as bad it's made out to be so don't let that be the sole factor for putting you off coming to Imperial.^^
What the College promised is to make sure the UG teaching (at least) is not affected (as much as possible) by the restructuring. Also, it's not like we're losing all the good staff - we still do have many other awesome lecturers about! =D

As for those of you waiting for an offer, fear not, the next batches of offers will be coming next year (I know someone who got one as late as March/April for my year!).

I just hope you all won't get put off coming by this - it's by all means not ideal but it's not the end of the department either/reputation of the degree either!

Original post by I love shopping
even though they have sacked pretty much everyone who used to teach?:rolleyes:

C'mon, let's cut the exaggeration down a bit~ might be giving the prospective students the wrong idea...
If I remember correctly, aren't they sacking about 5/6 lecturers out of like...50+ in biochem?
Original post by Nimbus
Guys, the situation definitely won't turn out to be as bad it's made out to be so don't let that be the sole factor for putting you off coming to Imperial.^^
What the College promised is to make sure the UG teaching (at least) is not affected (as much as possible) by the restructuring. Also, it's not like we're losing all the good staff - we still do have many other awesome lecturers about! =D

As for those of you waiting for an offer, fear not, the next batches of offers will be coming next year (I know someone who got one as late as March/April for my year!).

I just hope you all won't get put off coming by this - it's by all means not ideal but it's not the end of the department either/reputation of the degree either!

C'mon, let's cut the exaggeration down a bit~ might be giving the prospective students the wrong idea...
If I remember correctly, aren't they sacking about 5/6 lecturers out of like...50+ in biochem?

You have given me hope again! Please I need some advice on whether I should go to UCL or Imperial if I get offers from both.
Reply 23
Original post by Nimbus

Hmmm but aren't 16 teaching staff leaving as a result of the restructure? How exactly did they come to a conclusion that the restructure will not cause any changes in breadth or depth when they haven't even had their teaching review? With 16 teaching staff leaving, how is it possible to keep the current teaching standards for Bio/Biochem/Biotech?

I have been given an offer for Biotechnology, but things don't look so good right now...
Reply 24
has alot of people got an offer?? i saw 2-3 people in tsr
Reply 25
You have given me hope again! Please I need some advice on whether I should go to UCL or Imperial if I get offers from both.

i'd suggest you go for the one you think you'll enjoy the most over the 3 or so years. =]
If it helps, I personally chose Imperial over UCL because of these 3 main reasons:
---the course structure(we've more options here, esp biological ones than UCL, and it's more flexible - i.e. UCL don't really let you choose much' gave me the impression of it being a bit more limiting and they seem to be more "phy chem" orientated, which I didn't reeeaaally fancy.). Plus we get more hands-on practical experience than any other unis. =D
---the location (Kensington is awesome, and the campus is right next to 3 lovely museums, hyde park, music and art colleges, tonnes of shops and attractions - can't get any better for me!XD)
---the societies (Imperial has the most out of any other unis =])

Of course, UCL is awesome too - my friend there doing biochem also enjoys it quite a lot. It's really up to you though - choose the one which you think you'll enjoy, rather than base it on something like this restructuring, which in long terms - a temporary thing. =]

I hope that helped!

Original post by metachrome
Hmmm but aren't 16 teaching staff leaving as a result of the restructure? How exactly did they come to a conclusion that the restructure will not cause any changes in breadth or depth when they haven't even had their teaching review? With 16 teaching staff leaving, how is it possible to keep the current teaching standards for Bio/Biochem/Biotech?

I have been given an offer for Biotechnology, but things don't look so good right now...

Well, it's around that number, but no more than 17 (can't remember exactly but I think it was only just 12 being asked to leave by July next year and a few "retiring early").
They've already planned this many years ago and was planning to let it take place last year but delayed until this year. I'm sure they've thought over this and had those reviews already and they wouldn't risk sacking people hastly.

You must not get the idea that sacking the lecturers = total limitation to the various research happening at Imperial.
What they decided to do was (if you like) "merging" the two affected departments together into a new one. I believe they're still planning to carry out the various cutting-edge research necessary, but just by the name of this "newer/broader" department.
well' that's what they said and it's likely they'll as they wouldn't want to risk losing more from the restsructuring.

The thing is, it's inevitable going to have an affect on the LifeSci department, but however, it's not a HUGE impact that will cause all sorts of serious problems and etc. They did promise to make sure the UG teaching is not affect as much as possible and will still maintain the breadth and quality of teaching here (presumably by letting some other experts to teach us instead then...).
The thing is, it's not like we're losing the major "teaching force" with this restructuring at the moment.

Of course, what they're doing with the restructuring is seriously not ideal and many of us have been to the protests, but let's not think about it as if the entire department is going to go down-hill either - it's not as bad as that!

Original post by wcs
has alot of people got an offer?? i saw 2-3 people in tsr

I wouldn't judge it by the numbers on TSR - there isn't really a "general" ratio of people getting offers on here to the total given (for all subjects). I'd imagine quite a few have got one already. If it helps, when I got my offer and went to the open day (was sometime around this time I think), they've already given out half of the offers already so other batches are definitely coming soon. =]
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Nimbus
i'd suggest you go for the one you think you'll enjoy the most over the 3 or so years. =]
If it helps, I personally chose Imperial over UCL because of these 3 main reasons:
---the course structure(we've more options here, esp biological ones than UCL, and it's more flexible - i.e. UCL don't really let you choose much' gave me the impression of it being a bit more limiting and they seem to be more "phy chem" orientated, which I didn't reeeaaally fancy.). Plus we get more hands-on practical experience than any other unis. =D
---the location (Kensington is awesome, and the campus is right next to 3 lovely museums, hyde park, music and art colleges, tonnes of shops and attractions - can't get any better for me!XD)
---the societies (Imperial has the most out of any other unis =])

Of course, UCL is awesome too - my friend there doing biochem also enjoys it quite a lot. It's really up to you though - choose the one which you think you'll enjoy, rather than base it on something like this restructuring, which in long terms - a temporary thing. =]

I hope that helped!

Well, it's around that number, but no more than 17 (can't remember exactly but I think it was only just 12 being asked to leave by July next year and a few "retiring early").
They've already planned this many years ago and was planning to let it take place last year but delayed until this year. I'm sure they've thought over this and had those reviews already and they wouldn't risk sacking people hastly.

You must not get the idea that sacking the lecturers = total limitation to the various research happening at Imperial.
What they decided to do was (if you like) "merging" the two affected departments together into a new one. I believe they're still planning to carry out the various cutting-edge research necessary, but just by the name of this "newer/broader" department.
well' that's what they said and it's likely they'll as they wouldn't want to risk losing more from the restsructuring.

The thing is, it's inevitable going to have an affect on the LifeSci department, but however, it's not a HUGE impact that will cause all sorts of serious problems and etc. They did promise to make sure the UG teaching is not affect as much as possible and will still maintain the breadth and quality of teaching here (presumably by letting some other experts to teach us instead then...).
The thing is, it's not like we're losing the major "teaching force" with this restructuring at the moment.

Of course, what they're doing with the restructuring is seriously not ideal and many of us have been to the protests, but let's not think about it as if the entire department is going to go down-hill either - it's not as bad as that!

I wouldn't judge it by the numbers on TSR - there isn't really a "general" ratio of people getting offers on here to the total given (for all subjects). I'd imagine quite a few have got one already. If it helps, when I got my offer and went to the open day (was sometime around this time I think), they've already given out half of the offers already so other batches are definitely coming soon. =]

Thanks very much for the info, I really hope I get in! :biggrin:

What was your offer? ABB? AAB?
Reply 27
Original post by Nimbus

thanks so much for the information! can i know what UG course are you in? hmmm i'm still waiting for their reply on my application for Biomedical Science, really want it a lot and hope it won't be too severely affected by the restructuring!
Reply 28
Thanks very much for the info, I really hope I get in! :biggrin:

What was your offer? ABB? AAB?

No problem.^^ Mine was the standard AAB. XD
Don't worry, Imperial is usually fairly generous with the offers. =]

Original post by metachrome
thanks so much for the information! can i know what UG course are you in? hmmm i'm still waiting for their reply on my application for Biomedical Science, really want it a lot and hope it won't be too severely affected by the restructuring!

No problem~ I'm a first year doing biochemistry(yes, the "affected" course, but we're surviving fine at the moment!XD).
It's going to affect things a bit like all sorts of good or bad changes, but I re-assure you that's it's not going to get severely affected as much as people make it out to be. =]
Original post by Nimbus
No problem.^^ Mine was the standard AAB. XD
Don't worry, Imperial is usually fairly generous with the offers. =]

No problem~ I'm a first year doing biochemistry(yes, the "affected" course, but we're surviving fine at the moment!XD).
It's going to affect things a bit like all sorts of good or bad changes, but I re-assure you that's it's not going to get severely affected as much as people make it out to be. =]

what aspects of the course are actually affected?
Reply 30
what aspects of the course are actually affected?

The thing is, we don't know yet as the lecturers won't be leaving until july next year. Some of those who will be leaving teach us a bit from here and there so you can't really quantify.

And remember it's not like we'll get no lecturers for those aspects of the course after those lecturers leave - we'll probably just get other experts to teach those parts to us.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 31
Hi I'm from Malaysia and i've heard from all my choices except Imperial. I really hope I'm not alone here :tongue: i do hope they do not remove the course altogether that really would suck.
Original post by Nesh17
Hi I'm from Malaysia and i've heard from all my choices except Imperial. I really hope I'm not alone here :tongue: i do hope they do not remove the course altogether that really would suck.

I am in the same situation as you are...
Reply 33
Received my offer some time back on 21 Nov, AAB, still waiting to hear from them for Biomedical Sciences though! That's the one I really want

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending