The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Becca
You're officially halfway through the school year at February Half Term! Well done! :rave:

Yup, and it only gets better from now on (well, after Easter, I suppose:frown:) because once the Year 11s and 13s leave, the pressure's off for a bit. Of course, that's when you get everybody shoving in meetings and other annoyances because that's when we've got 'more free time', so watch out for residentials, activities days/weeks, revamping the entire school curriculum, drama festivals, sports days, digging a school pond, rewriting work schemes....
Original post by affinity89
2425 - I keep getting distracted lol. Plus, I'm not convinced what I've written is any good. Oh well. Going to keep going and then try to make sense of it all lol. :smile:

I shall miss Adam Ant:frown:
Original post by carnationlilyrose
Yup, and it only gets better from now on (well, after Easter, I suppose:frown:) because once the Year 11s and 13s leave, the pressure's off for a bit. Of course, that's when you get everybody shoving in meetings and other annoyances because that's when we've got 'more free time', so watch out for residentials, activities days/weeks, revamping the entire school curriculum, drama festivals, sports days, digging a school pond, rewriting work schemes....

:lolz:
Original post by jaime1986
:lolz:

I do not kid. Duckboards and duckweed and (eventually) ducks everywhere for ages. Lunch duty was a nightmare.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by carnationlilyrose
I shall miss Adam Ant:frown:

It felt like time for a change. :smile:
Still love Adam of course lol. :tongue:
Original post by affinity89
It felt like time for a change. :smile:
Still love Adam of course lol. :tongue:

I quite understand.
Reply 986
By the sounds of it, we've all had a productive Sunday and so deserve a pat on the back! (Or a glass of red at the very least...)
I've given myself a weekend off seeing as it's half term. I wish I wasn't off for the week I've got SO much to do :'(
Original post by Becca
You're officially halfway through the school year at February Half Term! Well done! :rave:

:eek:
Making progress with my assignment - well kind of - 490 words and still on the introductory part (not all just "I will write this and this", don't worry! Talking about theoretical stuff/definitions too) (EDIT: make that 800 :biggrin:)

Can't believe we're halfway- frightening! To be honest I can't wait until after Easter to be on full block placement- these 4 days a week as opposed to 3 will be an improvement but largely a hinderance, I just want to be in school now! (did I really just say that??)
(edited 12 years ago)
Hello everyone,

not on a PGCE myself, but a member of my family is, and I am extremely worried about her. She is getting herself into a state about her work placement. The first school she was at was a private school, where she didn't encounter many problems (apart from lesson planning, as the new curriculum for excellence (Scotland) needs good lessons, and the head of her department had just used powerpoints and worksheets (so in effect she had to plan all her own lessons everyday, literally up til midnight everynight and up at 5am the next day to get the train to school. So that was that, she passed, but was exhausted, though she loved the school.

She is now at an urban state school and there has been a rapid decline in enthusiasm. Lesson plans are still a problem, though not as much as they were before. The pupils in class are however very different. I think she is having great difficulty controlling the classes (she is not exactly shy, but is quietly spoken). The school is in a fairly poor area and pupils get suspended regularly She has been crying on and off for the last couple of weeks, saying she wants to drop out, she hates it, she can't do it etc etc. Now this is obviously a concern, as I don't want her to be unhappy. I do however think she could be a great teacher, and just lacks a bit of confidence atm. My parents think this too. We don't want her regretting dropping out for the rest of her life. Both of us (myself and parents) have tried many times to convince her she is not doing as badly as she thinks. (I have used examples of student teachers I had at school that were terrible, told her everyone is in the same boat, she has made good lessons etc). Parents hav had similar chats (and she has been away from home for 5 years, and she would have to move back if she dropped out, which she would HATE). The only reply I get is 'whatever, hate it, defo gona fail my next crit, can't control the class, can't do lessons) :frown:

This is really stressing me out, as I really don't like seeing my sister unhappy (even though we never had a great relationship growing up). I have been having similar experiences (not wanting to do law and wanting to do medicine instead, irrelevant- though I havent applied for postgrad training) so I can empathize with her situation.

I'm basically looking for advice about what I can do to try make her feel better, encourage her, tips to make her more confident? what are the best ways to control a rowdy class? I have suggested being a b***h to them (threatening punishments, etc) at first as I recall that was a technique teachers at my school used and became nicer when they had full control of the class. It seemed to work. I also suggested projecting her voice, not taking any s**t. Not really sure what else to suggest, as it's not my area of expertise. Any advice you could give me to relay back would be much appreciated.

Yours'

A very concerned brother.
(edited 12 years ago)
I think we can all sympathise with it! You can't really help, to be honest. But I do think she would know if she absolutely didn't want to/wasn't meant to be there. It certainly doesn't sound like she's having much worse of a time than anyone else I know with regards to class control in particular!

The best advice I can give regarding behaviour management is consistency- it's absolutely key. And I know that because I can't do it properly! Whatever punishment is used, make sure it's applied appropriately and fairly. Does her school have a clear policy on behaviour management? If so, she needs to stick to it to the letter- the kids will know it inside out.
Reply 992
The whole getting sick in the holidays thing is hitting me with a vengeance. I've got what feels like a stomach bug - so've spent today nursing the toilet - in perfect time to derail my finishing my paper ahead of the deadline tomorrow. Ughh.
There are a lot of tensions on my course. Over 50% of the people were off yesterday and today to do this assignment. I can understand, because the timing has been awful. Three weeks teaching 14 hours per week didn't leave a lot of time [or any, to be honest] for doing a 5,000 word assignment. But, those of us who have been in - from 8.30am until 5pm each day - are getting a bit annoyed. Everything on the course is 100% compulsory, so it seems unfair that they have had more time to work on the essays. :frown:

At the moment, I have an essay. I think it is all referenced correctly, as I focused on that when I got in yesterday. Hopefully, I've just got to make a few tweaks and make sure it flows properly and then it will be done. To be honest, I didn't think I could go from 0-5000 at an MA level in less than 3 days lol, especially when I've been in university for so much of the day lol. Tis crackers lol. :redface:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 994
Am I the only one who is taking the whole week off?
Original post by Bexxxx

I'll be lucky to get an afternoon off!
Original post by Bexxxx

Probably... but I would if I could, so enjoy!
Finished my essay at around midnight. Came to around 5300 words in the end. Hopefully it is okay and gets a reasonable mark [by reasonable, I mean a pass lol]. :smile:

About 65 out of 90 in today. The rest were people who have been off for both Monday and Tuesday but didn't feel ready/finished yet. Crackers really. The rest of us managed to write it and attend class, so I don't see why they couldn't. But, nevermind. It is done.

Now to plan the next one... The formative plan thing is due on Monday lol. :smile:
Oh, and tomorrow we have a phonics conference. I don't really 'get' phonics. I was not taught that way and it doesn't seem to work with a lot of words, especially when you reach a certain level. Maybe the conference will change my mind. :smile:
Reply 998
Original post by Bexxxx

I am :awesome: although my holiday's not til next week and I am qualified so this is irrelevant :p:
Reply 999
Why can't anyone else have a week off? What am I not doing? I handed in my first proper essay after Xmas and the next isn't due for months... finished block practice, don't start again for about 3 weeks. Nothing much to do! IS THERE?!!!

I am ill though. :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending