The Student Room Group

Primary PGCE with Business degree

Hi all

Hope someone can help. I am currently studing for my Ba Hons Business Management degree. I study part time alongside working full time. Primary teaching is something I've always being interested in and spent some time in a school in September getting some experience.

I am hoping to go onto do a PGCE Primary however I'm concerned, especially with competition for places as to whether I will be successful in gaining a place with my degree not being in a national curriculum subject.

I have another 2 years approx until I finish part time degree so I was considering studying an A-Level part time in Psychology or English Language to strengthen my application.

Obviously with working full time as well, this may be quite intense. Do you think I would get onto a PGCE without the A-Level?

Thanks in advance

Rebecca
Some unis say you have to have a national curriculum subject, most don't. My friend did a Law degree and was told by one uni she wouldn't get in anywhere to a primary PGCE cos she didn't do a NC subject degree, so she didn't bother applying. Over a year later she found out that wasn't true!

I'm at oxford brookes, degrees in my group include psychology, sociology, law, HR, sports science, and a number of open university degrees in various subjects. Just check before you apply to places what they want before you apply. I also got an interview at Reading uni, which is a very good one for primary PGCE, with my psychology degree. They are far more interested in your attitude and experience.

Personally I find it bizarre that unis want a NC subject degree. Even if I had a maths degree, that wouldn't make me an expert in teaching maths to 5 year olds, would it? And it certainly wouldn't help me with teaching English, science, PSHE or anything else.
My friend has a law degree and got a PGCE place and then a job at a primary school. I wouldn't burden yourself with additional a-levels. I'd just get practical experience.
Reply 3
I got onto my pgce with a business degree. I agree with t'others though that you concentrate on getting experience rather than more a levels.
Reply 4
I have a lot of friends who have done a PGCE with Business or Law as their degrees. I would go for it, as long as you have experience in schools, show a passion for teaching and have researched current issues in education you'll be fine.
Reply 5
Thanks everyone for your replies, that sounds really encouraging. I had a look on Leeds Met website and they just required the degree whereas Sheffield Hallam said it had to be in a National Curriculum related area. But like you all say if I focus on getting the experience and I have good GCSE results that might be worth more.

I agree modgepodge - I think its the skills more than anything that make a successful primary school teacher as one of my friends is studying Maths at uni and the work she covers is obviously above and beyond anything you would teach 3-11 year olds. Also, like you say there is more than one subject in the national curriculum, so you wouldnt have 'expert knowledge' on the other subjects.

Although it will be a couple of years before I apply for my PGCE I think I will start with some volunteering work as although I will need some in the year before I apply, anything extra I can get would certainly add strength to my application.

Thanks everyone :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending