The Student Room Group

Northumbria university drama and scriptwriting

Bit of a long post so thanks in advance for sticking with :smile:

So I'm currently studying Ancient History at Swansea uni. Absolutely loving the uni and city but am hating the course with a passion. It's boring, the teaching is in-personal and I can't stand the idea of spending the next three years doing what feels like a useless degree. This, coupled with the fact I only picked it because I felt I should do a "proper degree", has led me to start thinking I should pack it in, a shame because I am realy enjoying the uni experience and have made some great friends.

My original plan was to do a "proper" degree and then use the work experience I have accumulated (plus more I will do) to get a job in radio script writing/editing/producing, perhaps some kind of apprenticeship or runner position. I have been keen on this for a while, and have done local radio as well as written several screenplays/scripts.

However, after a bit of re-evaluation I'm now thinking I should change to a degree I will enjoy and may be more practical to my chosen career. I was thinking about the Northumbria University Drama and Scriptwriting course, as it looks pritty much tailor made to my interests and requirements.

Basically what I'm asking is whether the pros of changing outweigh the cons?

And if anyone has done this course please let me know what it's like!

Massive thanks for any advice :smile:
bump
Reply 2
If you are unhappy with your current degree then it’s a good time to change to a degree you feel is more suited to your interests and skills. It makes no sense to spend three unhappy years of study and graduate with a degree that you won’t benefit from. The Drama and Scriptwriting course at Northumbria is a good idea, however, you will have to start fresh from year 1 (Student Loans Company should allow an extra year of funding).

BA (Hons) Drama and Scriptwriting covers all of the areas you seem interested and experienced in, with modules like Dramatic Story, Reading performance, Film Writing and Writing for Radio and TV. If you are keen on a career in the media the programme also offers modules in Voice, Approaches to Performance and Professional Directions.

The course itself is very hands-on and also has a Professional Development module running through each year, which helps develop your portfolio, has contact with outside agencies and teaches skills which enable you to go straight into a position after graduating.

Northumbria University is right in the heart of the City Centre so you will get the a good feel for the City, as you have done in Swansea, also the city has a large cultural infrastructure which will help you to continue securing work experience in the sector.
Original post by Gilly2787
If you are unhappy with your current degree then it’s a good time to change to a degree you feel is more suited to your interests and skills. It makes no sense to spend three unhappy years of study and graduate with a degree that you won’t benefit from. The Drama and Scriptwriting course at Northumbria is a good idea, however, you will have to start fresh from year 1 (Student Loans Company should allow an extra year of funding).

BA (Hons) Drama and Scriptwriting covers all of the areas you seem interested and experienced in, with modules like Dramatic Story, Reading performance, Film Writing and Writing for Radio and TV. If you are keen on a career in the media the programme also offers modules in Voice, Approaches to Performance and Professional Directions.

The course itself is very hands-on and also has a Professional Development module running through each year, which helps develop your portfolio, has contact with outside agencies and teaches skills which enable you to go straight into a position after graduating.

Northumbria University is right in the heart of the City Centre so you will get the a good feel for the City, as you have done in Swansea, also the city has a large cultural infrastructure which will help you to continue securing work experience in the sector.

Cheers but I've decided to stick with my current course for a number of reasons, cheers for the advice though :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest