The Student Room Group

Pre-Recruit Training Course (P-RTC) at RAF Halton (Bleep Test)

Hi everybody, just a few questions regarding Pre-Recruit Training Course (P-RTC) at RAF Halton.

I received my confirmation letter from my AFCO today stating that I will have my P-RTC on the 13th & 14th Jan, Thursday. I am really excited for this as really want to join the RAF with possible start date of March 2nd.

Just a few questions regarding the bleep test, as feel I am comfortable with my sit ups & press ups.

For my age group minimum level is 8.6, so want to be aiming for 9+. I have been practising at my local tennis courts as easier then muddy grass at the moment.

Really looking for any advice from any RAF PTI'S or newish recruits who have done it in the last 6-12 months.

As the bleep test is new to myself I have been out practising, but as I never had done it in strict test conditions. I wanted to know how strict the test is on a few basic points. Obviously two markers 20m a part. Running to each point before the beep goes off, with it getting faster every minute & you get 3 chances to catch back up with the beep if you do miss it.

My main question is as it makes huge difference. When running between each shuttle. You make it back before the beep goes off, do you have to wait behind line with whole body behind the line? Then as soon as the beep goes, then take off for next shuttle or can you run to end of shuttle, put one foot behind line, with whole body stretched out waiting for beep?

Also is it possible to just continue running before the beep has even gone off, as long as your not taking the piss?

I know this may sound stupid to many members and will likely get answers saying that if you cant do it under the strict conditions then you shouldn’t be there in the first place.

The reason I ask these questions is it makes huge difference to myself, my friend who is in the RAF in Odiham for 8 years has told me that when ever he does the test every year or even at recruit training, that is how he does it, instead of waiting behind line with whole body behind the line and also it is possible to run the next shuttle before the beep has gone off and if your getting to ahead of yourself your told to slow down.

I hope this had made sence to yourselves.

If anyone can confirm these questions, I would appreciate it. Answers from people that have done the Pre-Recruit Training Course (P-RTC) at RAF Halton recently would be ideal.

Thanks for your help.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
One foot on the line is sufficient to have 'reached' the line.
You must wait until the beep to move off, though. If you're waiting at the line too long you're going too quickly and wasting energy. It's easier with others around you as you can follow their pace.
Don't aim for any number, just keep running until your lungs are about to burst. Then go a little further [the mind tires before the body].

You will, however, be given a brief by the PTIs there as it happens.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
Ok thanks drewski.

So no running before the beep has been played, but it is possible to stick one foot on line stretched out.

Ok thanks that answers my question.

As i never heard the RAF beep test cd, is it just a single beep played after each shuttle. As on my iphone app it plays 3 beeps, then the main beep and also tells you which level your on every minute!! I dealt that will be the case with the RAF one!!

Will turn that feature off and get practising over the next 5 days!

Like you say with others beside me, will be easier then doing it by yourself as you can pace yourself accordingly. i think im worrying over nothing, just dont want to mess up this chance.

Thankyou
Reply 3
It is avaliable for download on the raf website. I put it on my ipod and had a go down the gym. Have to say, I really struggled doing it on my own.

It plays 3 beeps to start, and then 1 beep. And a voice says "Level X" when you get to the level.
Reply 4
ok thanks is that the one they use at holton then?
Reply 5
I wouldn't know. Theres a few kicking about, but I would guess its pretty close/ the one they use, being as it is the one they provide you with...
Reply 6
Hey, I've heard that everything chrissy has said is true as someone I know did it in august and it sounds very similar!
I'll be there on Thursday too doing my prtc, and then starting march 2nd too!
What trade are you going for?
Reply 7
Just to add to this, I passed my prtc :smile:
The bleep test was ok as the PTIs were good!
The whole 2 days gave a good insight too and can't wait to start on the 2nd of march... After passing my final interview of course!
If anyone has anything to ask then just post it! And good luck!
Reply 8
Theres ANOTHER interview to do between PRTC and RT?
Reply 9
Yea but it's only to ensure that you definitely want to do it, and it involves alot of paperwork being filled in... Or so I've been told!
They still want to see that you have the knowledge as before and that shows commitment and drive! It also means that they can answer any final questions in a more personal 1-1 situation!
Are you in the process of applying At the moment f35?
Reply 10
Ah i see, so they arn't looking to fail you at that point then lol.

Yeah im applying for WSOp, going to Cranwell on Weds for my aptitude tests! Abit annoyed that it sounds like a 9 month wait till the rest of OASC can be taken :frown:.
Reply 11
Well at least it's all starting to roll on now!
It will fly by and yourll soon be getting your start date if you put in enough hard work!
Good luck for wednesday!
Original post by F35-LII
Theres ANOTHER interview to do between PRTC and RT?

Yes, its your final interview, as Mangibs said, involves reading and signing lots of papers. You get you own personal service number then too. My final interview was with a WO, but some of my friends got cpls and sgts.

As for the Bleep Test, don't worry, as long as you touch the line thats ok.

RT is very different from PRTC, but it is fun and stick with it (unlike some).
Reply 13
Original post by ajm888
Ok thanks drewski.

So no running before the beep has been played, but it is possible to stick one foot on line stretched out.

Ok thanks that answers my question.

As i never heard the RAF beep test cd, is it just a single beep played after each shuttle. As on my iphone app it plays 3 beeps, then the main beep and also tells you which level your on every minute!! I dealt that will be the case with the RAF one!!

Will turn that feature off and get practising over the next 5 days!

Like you say with others beside me, will be easier then doing it by yourself as you can pace yourself accordingly. i think im worrying over nothing, just dont want to mess up this chance.

Thankyou

My initial start day should be 2nd march aswell ajm888 see you there hopefully. really looking forward to it. If anybody wants any tips and advice on apptitude test, interview questions, medical or anything just ask i found some forums quite useful while going through the selection process but some did over complicate things and make it sound alot more complicated than it actually is. any one needs a questions answering il be happy to help
Reply 14
Aps1986, were you on the prtc in January?
I've got my final interview this afternoon and should have my start date, 2nd march, confirmed then!
Reply 15
orite magibs no i wasnt on the course in january iv got mine next week on the 10th feb and then fingers crossed they said my start up date could be the 2nd of march. how was the course orite? really looking forward to it!!
Reply 16
Oh fair enough! Yea the biggest worry is not passing the fitness but as long as you've put the work in before yourll be fine! I had a pretty good laugh with some of my lot too but when your with the staff just listen to what they say becaus you could get failed at anytime not just the fitness!
I'm starting on the 2nd for definite now really can't wait! What trade are you going for?
Good luck as well for your prtc!
Reply 17
hey guys i got my letter for PRTC saying it's on the 24th of Febuary, bit worried about the fitness - i was basicly put on a massive waiting list for a year since passing the other parts of the application, and slipped out of my routinely exercising, so i'm not as fit as i could be but 10 days hard work should get my fitness levels high enough (hopefully - i really want to pass).
I have a couple of questions about the actual PRTC though, being pretty nervous now. I've been reading through the PRTC programme, and just a few things i don't understand. I gather you do the fitness assessment in the afternoon.

What does the 'Medical Brief for FA Standard achieved Personnel' mean? Is this another medical? What exactly do they check for in the medical? I'm most worried about my medical health as it's not always been the best, and this may be where i miss out... Do they do a blood test for drugs? (i'm a bit of a needle-phobic... man the **** up right..?) I'd just like to know as MUCH as possible before I go down so i'm as ready as possible.

Just thought i'd ask seeing as you're on the subject of PRTC. Any answers to these questions would be GREAT!

Cheers guys!
Reply 18
Original post by joglesby
What does the 'Medical Brief for FA Standard achieved Personnel' mean? Is this another medical? What exactly do they check for in the medical? I'm most worried about my medical health as it's not always been the best, and this may be where i miss out... Do they do a blood test for drugs? (i'm a bit of a needle-phobic... man the **** up right..?) I'd just like to know as MUCH as possible before I go down so i'm as ready as possible.

Just thought i'd ask seeing as you're on the subject of PRTC. Any answers to these questions would be GREAT!

Cheers guys!

You don't do another medical, no. The briefs are just little talk/presentation things and nothing to worry about at all.

Make sure your cardio fitness is up to scratch and that you can do lots of pushups and situps and stop worrying so much.
Reply 19
ahh that's great news - i was worried it'd just be another hurdle to potentially catch me out! i'm gonna hit the gym tonight and most nights until thursday 24th, with a day or two of rest before the prtc of course.
thanks a lot for the speedy reply!

Latest