The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by im so academic
How do they know they both had the opportunity to play the flute? Where is this addressed on the UCAS forms?

I believe you may have missed this link: http://www.history.ox.ac.uk/prosundergrad/applying/selection_criteria.htm

General Selection Criteria
Intellectual curiosity
Conceptual clarity
Flexibility - the capacity to engage with alternative perspectives and/or new information
Accuracy and attention to detail
Critical engagement
Capacity for hard work
Enthusiasm for History
Evidence of historical imagination and understanding, in particular, the ability to speculate and compare, alongside the possession of appropriate historical knowledge and the capacity to deploy it.

Candidates will be assessed against these criteria on the basis of information derived from the following sources:
UCAS forms, including, in particular, personal statements, school reports, qualifications achieved and qualifications predicted
Relevant additional information supplied on, or with, the Oxford application form (for example, concerning candidates’ special circumstances)
Performance in the History Aptitude Test (HAT)
Written work submitted by candidates
Performance in interviews
Comparison, in all these areas, with other candidates

I, in fact, didn't realise you had to submit written work for History... It is such a statistical anomaly for two applicants to have EXACTLY the same "ability" in all areas of the application + achieved all areas of the general selection criteria.

If that were the case, technically they would take them both as they are the same.

Since when is an Oxbridge applicant assessed on "taking opportunities irrelevant to their proposed subject"? WTF?

I have given evidence - where is your evidence to back up your claim?

They largely wouldn't, but there are circumstances where they might know both had the opportunity: went to the same school and one of them discussed learning the flute through the school on their PS, for example, or the candidates are siblings.

I'm not arguing that they would take ECs into account, mainly because two identical candidates aren't going to come along with nothing to distinguish them apart from musical instruments. I'm a mixture between enjoying watching you get quite so wound up about this and wondering how this thread took this direction.

That said, since when did any organisation (we agreed that unis are organisations, I believe, just differed on business?) publish everything they take into consideration?
Original post by Bubblyjubbly
Facile nonsense - I'd like you to find me these tutors because I know many of them personally and that is the last thing they would say and for a number of very obvious reasons.

Claims of personal connections don't bode well on here.
i would advise cambridge. put manchester as your backup. the reason being that a cambridge degree is really second to none in the UK and even though the work will be hard you will be top of the pile in the jobs market when you leave regardless of the degree you get because the work is soo much more rigorous and the exams so much harder. You are one of a lucky few to get a place and i really think that you would regret it if you gave it up. Plus it's not ALL about work. One of the reasons you were probably given an offer was because you possess the ability to keep on top of things - you're bright enough for the work but have a personality that will mesh well with others there. Plus you will meet all sorts of incredible people (of course you would at any uni) but cambridge really is special. why not do a post-grad at manchester?

it's up to you though... no one on here can change you're mind- only you can do that. Good luck any way
Original post by nulli tertius
"Do them for yourself" means do the activity for its own sake not superficially as CV packing. It doesn't mean they ignore genuine interests,

What? They're saying do ECs for yourself, not for Oxford - because of the fact it won't exactly help their application, would it?

No-one doubts this (even if I don't agree with it). Oxbridge no longer takes thick rugby players for the XV or rowers for the VIII or even oboists for the orchestras. That is not the point. We are looking at candidates where there is no significant difference in academic ability.

That is why they introduced entrance tests/interview/written work and God knows what else.
Written work + interview.

That isn't an answer

They look at applications holistically.

Cambridge has a score sheet
Original post by TheSownRose
They largely wouldn't, but there are circumstances where they might know both had the opportunity: went to the same school and one of them discussed learning the flute through the school on their PS, for example, or the candidates are siblings.

Jesus - do you know how RARE that situation that would occur?

So you're saying two applicants, same school, same opportunities, same "interview level", same choice of college, same written work, same HAT - you are joking right?

Candidates are siblings? :lolwut: And they somehow applied for the same course, same abilities and the like.

Very, very rare situation.

I'm not arguing that they would take ECs into account, mainly because two identical candidates aren't going to come along with nothing to distinguish them apart from musical instruments. I'm a mixture between enjoying watching you get quite so wound up about this and wondering how this thread took this direction.

They differentiate students between the interview/HAT/written work.

That said, since when did any organisation (we agreed that unis are organisations, I believe, just differed on business?) publish everything they take into consideration?

Yeah, they might prefer summer born students over winter born applicants. They might prefer if your clothes were colour-coordinated on the day of the exam.

Sorry, but I trust the official Oxford/Cambridge websites then some hypothetical "hmm, playing the trumpet will get me into Oxford History".

They've stated this so many times it's unbelievable.
Original post by goofy-blues
i would advise cambridge. put manchester as your backup. the reason being that a cambridge degree is really second to none in the UK and even though the work will be hard you will be top of the pile in the jobs market when you leave regardless of the degree you get because the work is soo much more rigorous and the exams so much harder. You are one of a lucky few to get a place and i really think that you would regret it if you gave it up. Plus it's not ALL about work. One of the reasons you were probably given an offer was because you possess the ability to keep on top of things - you're bright enough for the work but have a personality that will mesh well with others there. Plus you will meet all sorts of incredible people (of course you would at any uni) but cambridge really is special. why not do a post-grad at manchester?

it's up to you though... no one on here can change you're mind- only you can do that. Good luck any way

What good is that if you don't have the drive to do all that hard work, therefore fail or get a low classification?

What good is that if you don't have the drive to do all that hard work, therefore fail or get a low classification?

You could easily get a fail/low classification at Manchester. In addition, Cambridge offers the supervision system which helps students gain a better understanding of their subjects (simplifying this) and you could even argue that said person would do better at Cambridge due to its competitive academic atmosphere.

You can't just generalise like that.

That isn't an answer

Cambridge has a score sheet

1) Yes it is
2) Watch the Cambridge admissions videos - it is true, they look at applications holistically.
Jesus - do you know how RARE that situation that would occur?

So you're saying two applicants, same school, same opportunities, same "interview level", same choice of college, same written work, same HAT - you are joking right?

Candidates are siblings? :lolwut: And they somehow applied for the same course, same abilities and the like.

Very, very rare situation.

Rare, yes. Impossible? No.

They differentiate students between the interview/HAT/written work.

That isn't even an answer.

Yeah, they might prefer summer born students over winter born applicants. They might prefer if your clothes were colour-coordinated on the day of the exam.

Sorry, but I trust the official Oxford/Cambridge websites then some hypothetical "hmm, playing the trumpet will get me into Oxford History".

Again and again, you are missing the point: no one has said that playing a trumpet will get you into a history degree at Oxford, just that ECs and what they demonstrate are something tutors can use between otherwise similar candidates, alongside other criteria.
Original post by Blackspur
Yesterday I received an offer from Cambridge to study Natural Sciences. I wasn't really expecting to get an offer (though obviously I'm happy that I have done) and I was already really looking forward to doing Physics at Manchester.

I loved Manchester when I went there for my interview and knew that it would be one of my final two choices, but now I have to choose between there (A*AA offer) and Cambridge (A*AAA).

I know to some people it would seem like a clear cut choice and a lot of people wouldn't even think about rejecting an offer from Cambridge. However the only reason I can think of going to there is just because "it's Cambridge". I prefer the course at Manchester, the city, the department...
The very high pressure/intensity working environment doesn't really appeal to me and I think I'd have more fun at Manchester. Would it be a stupid move to turn down Cambridge's offer and put Manchester as my firm? Would I be wasting what is potentially the chance to get an education that will hold me in much better stead later in life?

EDIT - I should have made this clearer: I am NOT just thinking about my social life being better at Manchester. I am not trying to imply that i wouldn't have a social life at Cambridge. I was basically asking if it's worth doing a course I don't like as much at a city I don't like as much in order to have potentially better opportunities later in life,

i think you need to go to the uni your happiest at, because its really hard to focus if your miserable where you are. My friend turned down his oxford offer to go to birmingham and thinks its one of the best decisions hes ever made, not everyone will do best at oxbridge. Unis about becoming an alrounded person so if you think you can do that better at manchester you should go there, but at the end of the day everyone on here can only give you advice, you need to choose what is right for you
Rare, yes. Impossible? No.

It's not even rare. It is such an outlier that it is just insignificant.

That isn't even an answer.

Yes it is.

Again and again, you are missing the point: no one has said that playing a trumpet will get you into a history degree at Oxford, just that ECs and what they demonstrate are something tutors can use between otherwise similar candidates, alongside other criteria.

Read the selection criteria again.
You could easily get a fail/low classification at Manchester. In addition, Cambridge offers the supervision system which helps students gain a better understanding of their subjects (simplifying this) and you could even argue that said person would do better at Cambridge due to its competitive academic atmosphere.

You can't just generalise like that.

You could, yes. My point was that there is no point choosing to go a university where you think the workload is too high for you, especially when you prefer somewhere else and therefore your motivating is going to be low anyway, because a good degree from there might be better than a good degree somewhere else. Because, realistically, you're not going to get a good degree there; highly motivated people prepared for the workload don't get good Cambridge degrees.

And not everyone responds well to academic competition. It motivates some people, but I've seen others shut down in response to it.

Exactly, and the admissions history reflects that. You can't prove that the sporty/musical undergraduates got in partly because of those hobbies, but you can prove that the undergraduates with no hobbies got in based on merit alone. Oxbridge isn't there to catch people out by misleading them.
Reply 394
I would say go to Manchester if you're really not sure if you want to go anywhere else.

If you don't like a place= unhappy you = poor end result.
That's not to say you'll do brilliantly at Manchester, mind.

I would actually have thought the "social" life was better at Cambridge though. I mean, there's a bar where the people you live with go that's literally less than 2 minutes away, the colligiate system probably unites you with your fellow undergraduates to a stronger degree than most universities, ect.

That being said, my friend goes to Manchester and he loves it, and he always has some interesting stories regarding social activities. Worries me a little that they all seem to be driven by alcohol, but that's students I guess.
Reply 395
I feel like you also need to think about "getting out of uni" not just the fact of "getting in". The way of assessment in Cambridge is a little bit different along with the teaching method. A big test at the end of your 3 or however many years of study determines whether or you get your diploma or not - in other words there is no continuous assessment, you fail the end of 3 year exam = no diploma. Trust me it is not cool to say "I went to Cambridge... but never really got a diploma" because without a diploma Cambridge means nothing. On the other hand from what I know (my dad is a manchester engineering department alumni), Manchester does continuous assessment, and their teaching method gives you more of the feeling of what university should be like. Also like you mentioned if you just "felt like you belonged" at Manchester, don't change that for another school just for the "name". Diploma gets you only so far - my cousin's neighbor in a small town in Harrow, London is a Cambridge graduate, he lives in a house that is below average with no concrete job, whereas my father, graduated from Manchester prob has one of the best jobs an engineer could ever hope for. Also, you can still go to Cambridge for masters if you really wanted to see what the Camb. experience is like, hope this kinda helps =))
You could, yes. My point was that there is no point choosing to go a university where you think the workload is too high for you, especially when you prefer somewhere else and therefore your motivating is going to be low anyway, because a good degree from there might be better than a good degree somewhere else. Because, realistically, you're not going to get a good degree there; highly motivated people prepared for the workload don't get good Cambridge degrees.

And not everyone responds well to academic competition. It motivates some people, but I've seen others shut down in response to it.

Again, it begs the question - why apply in the first place?
Original post by alicebytemperley
Exactly, and the admissions history reflects that. You can't prove that the sporty/musical undergraduates got in partly because of those hobbies, but you can prove that the undergraduates with no hobbies got in based on merit alone. Oxbridge isn't there to catch people out by misleading them.

They clearly state they judge on academic ability alone + subject specific criteria.
Original post by Mann18
I would say go to Manchester if you're really not sure if you want to go anywhere else.

If you don't like a place= unhappy you = poor end result.
That's not to say you'll do brilliantly at Manchester, mind.

I would actually have thought the "social" life was better at Cambridge though. I mean, there's a bar where the people you live with go that's literally less than 2 minutes away, the colligiate system probably unites you with your fellow undergraduates to a stronger degree than most universities, ect.

That being said, my friend goes to Manchester and he loves it, and he always has some interesting stories regarding social activities. Worries me a little that they all seem to be driven by alcohol, but that's students I guess.

I'd rather go to a university where there are a certain proportion of students driven by academia, rather than alcohol per se.

If I were driven by alcohol, it begs the question, why not just stay in the freakin' pub? Why bother paying all those fees just to "get drunk"?
Again, it begs the question - why apply in the first place?

Because it's just another uni and, regardless of how you see it, you can apply whilst unsure and make a decision later? :dontknow:

Latest

Trending

Trending