The Student Room Group

HMRC Tax Professional Programme

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone else has applied for this? I got through the initial sift and need to take the numerical and verbal reasoning tests. I'm a bit nervous about the numerical one as my maths is a bit rusty! Hopefully it'll be OK though.

So has anyone else applied?

Scroll to see replies

Hi Laced,

I've also applied for this and just submitted the three online tests. According to the email I've just received we should hear our results next week so not long to go!
Reply 2
Glad to hear from someone else :smile:

Yeah I did mine yesterday, thought it went OK. Didn't get all of the maths questions finished but quite confident about the ones I completed. Verbal was fine. How did yours go?

I just want to find out now. Good luck :smile:
Reply 3
hello!

glad to see other people talking about the HMRC scheme! how did you both get on? and what locations did you apply for?

I've done the tests too and got the email today about the assessment centres. pretty surprised as i thought my numeracy test was a total disaster... brushing up on the maths skills are in need methinks
Hi all,

I've applied for the HMRC scheme as well, and just heard this evening about the regional assessment centre stage (although the website still says that my test results are under review...I hope this is just a case of the website not having been updated yet).

Anybody have any idea what the next stage involves? I'm guessing we'll re-take the tests and probably do some sort of e-tray exercise, perhaps. But, this is just a random guess.

@meaowmeaow: I don't remember being asked to specify a location. Was that part of the online application?
Reply 5
I also got an email for the assessment centre :smile: I currently work for HMRC and according to people who have been there before, you retake the tests and do things like presentations etc. I'll post more info up as soon as I know it, my manager knows someone who got through the assessment centre and is going to ask them what kind of things they had to do.
I got an email for the assessment centre aswell :smile: Also, don't remember having to specify a location. I wonder what the numbers are for people getting through to the initial assessment centre. I think it will be very competitive...
Reply 7
Hi guys...

I also got an email for the assessment centre... Did everybody else's email say they'd get back to them closer to the date regarding address, dates and times? The w/c 7th Feb is just over a week away, not a lot of notice to ask for time off work!

On the HMRC website, it says that we will undertake an analysis exercise...wonder what that will be... Any info you can share Laced would be greatly appreciated.
Reply 8
hello,

maybe i'm getting a bit ahead of myself re: locations. there's an interesting thread on wikijobs about the application process, most of the posts were made some time ago (i.e. two years ago) but nonetheless provides a better insight into the selection process than going in blind so would recommend a looksee. What i got from that thread is that those who rank highest in the assessment centre get first preference on location...

I'm pretty committed to sticking north of the Border... what about you guys?
Hey Meaowmeaow,

Glad to see other people on the same boat as myself regarding the assessment process. Regarding the location itself, I do not remember having to pick a preferred location. I am more interested in knowing how this assessment process actual works. I have no idea whatsoever about the half-day regional assessment day and the HMRC recruitment team has not provided me with any further information.

I am hoping to get a place in London and I am pretty certain that the majority of the applicants will be hoping for the same thing. But I am starting to get a bit anxious about the next stage because they stated in the e-mail that the assessments will be taking place w/c 7 Feb to 14 Feb and that is next Monday if I am not mistaken. I hope we get some news soon and lets get it over and done with.
Reply 10
right,

received the email about the assessment centre... date (less than two weeks away) and location provided in email.

All it says in the email is that it will "consist of a Written Analysis Exercise consisting of 4 questions and you will have 75 minutes to complete the exercise." I think you'll all share with me a certain nervousness about how vague this seems... it does say bring a calulator... suspect some serious number crunchage is on the cards... :s
Reply 11
Yup, I got my email also. Is anyone else in Edinburgh?

It did seem very vague. I'm due to speak to my manager's mate on Thursday so will let you know what he tells me/what advice he gives me about it!
Reply 12
Edinburgh?!?! I got Cumbernauld. Actually cannot think of two more contrasting locations, despite being less than 40 miles away from each other.

As for what to expect, i'm really not sure. I'd imagine the exercises are designed to test you in relation to the competencies listed on the HMRC website, but without an indication of how they are going to test us, well, it could be anything. I've been scouring the tinterweb for info but nothing other than the wikijobs thread i mentioned previously.

Any info you get would be muchos appreciated...
Got the email as well. I'll be attending the centre in London.

And, yes, any info would be appreciated.

Good luck to all!
Reply 14
Also got the email... Still no wiser as to what an analysis exercise is!

I'm attending in Manchester w/c 14th.

Good luck all x
Reply 15
Original post by meaowmeaow
Edinburgh?!?! I got Cumbernauld. Actually cannot think of two more contrasting locations, despite being less than 40 miles away from each other.

Well they've got sites in both Cumbernauld (quite a big one as far as I can gather, lots of Tax Credits staff!) and Edinburgh...I'm glad I'm not travelling all the way to Cumbernauld, I'm already going to have to get a 7am train.

OK so I talked to the guy yesterday. His assessment centre was different to this one, as far as I can tell this one was a new addition to this year's cycle, so it could be different to what he told me but it's better than nothing!

He said the written assessment he did gave you different scenarioes where you had to make a decision and justify it based upon the information given.

The full assessment centre (which, from what I can gather, is the next stage) has group and individual role-plays, and presentations.

He said the key was to try and act professional throughout the day, and (easier said than done!) try not to let nerves/how artificial the situation is get the better of you.

Good luck to everyone :smile:
Thanks for the info laced. Having done some research myself I believe that we may be doing a report and like you already stated, they will provide a number of scenarios from where you make your recommendations.

I think they just changed the format this year from previous years where instead of having a one and a half day assessment centre, they just separated the full assessment into a half day and once you have passed they invite you to the one day assessment where I assume there will be role-plays and group exercises.
Reply 17
hello!

thanks for the info guys. So just to make sure I understand this correctly, there isn't going to be any role-plays or group excercises at this regional assessment centre, just a bit of alone time with a few problems, pencil and calculator?
Original post by meaowmeaow
hello!

thanks for the info guys. So just to make sure I understand this correctly, there isn't going to be any role-plays or group excercises at this regional assessment centre, just a bit of alone time with a few problems, pencil and calculator?

The role plays and presentation will be at the one day assessment centre at the end of March.

I am not 100% certain but I think we may have to complete an e-tray/in-tray exercise with a report. They stated in the e-mail that we should allocate half the time to complete item 4 and this may possibly be the report part of the exercise. Again, I am just going off what previous year graduates have stated in these forums but I may be completely wrong. At the end of the day it really does not matter what exercise we get because you can't really prepare a great deal beforehand and it all matters about how you handle the assessment on the day.

I hope this helps and good luck.
Reply 19
Thanks Dwayne,

info is a great help. I'm going to mine on Tuesday, suppose all that's left to say is good luck everyone!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending