The Student Room Group

HMRC Tax Professional Programme

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dj_macky
I've just completed the SJT for the TPDP and received a message saying that I passed! From what I can see, HMRC's graduate site implies that everyone is allowed to do all four stage 1 tests, and then find out some time in December.

I don't think this is the case because someone has already been notified that they failed after doing the third test - without the opportunity to do the last test. Also, message that accompanied my invite stated that result will be e-mailed shortly after taking the test!

I suspect that you need to pass each preceeding test before being allowed to progress to the next one. If you pass the initial three tests, you will then be allowed to progress to the 'work style questionnaire' and notified of the final outcome around mid December!

Congrats! I'm doing mine tomorrow morning now, fresh head.

Were the judgements common sense? Any problems?
Thanks mate.

In my opinion the real SJT exercise is actually easier than the practice examples that they provided. They are more or less common sense questions, but you need to make sure that you read the scenarios properly and quickly.

Good luck!

Ahh, was it timed?
Just to clarify, where are the main locations that the assessments are held? And if successful, do candidates get a choice of where they want to be based? I live near Leeds.
Reply 783
I've just completed the SJT for the TPDP and received a message saying that I passed! From what I can see, HMRC's graduate site implies that everyone is allowed to do all four stage 1 tests, and then find out some time in December.

I don't think this is the case because someone has already been notified that they failed after doing the third test - without the opportunity to do the last test. Also, message that accompanied my invite stated that result will be e-mailed shortly after taking the test!

I suspect that you need to pass each preceeding test before being allowed to progress to the next one. If you pass the initial three tests, you will then be allowed to progress to the 'work style questionnaire' and notified of the final outcome around mid December!

Hi, I'm also a bit confused about this and it seems as if we have maybe been given the wrong info... When reading wikijob/the hmrc site it seems as if all 4 tests are graded together and then you find out whether you can progress to stage 2 ... However, like you, I received a message saying I had passed the SJT, then I was invited to take the numerical and verbal reasoning tests and tonight I completed those and received a further message inviting me to take the work style questionnaire. I wonder if you have to pass SJT to get to numerical/verbal tests and then pass those to get to the work style questionnaire...It would be of great help if any other graduates who have been through this can enlighten us? I don't want to get my hopes up thinking I've passed the numerical and verbal tests when, in fact, all 4 tests will be graded at the end!

Thanks! :smile:
Original post by aarae1
Hi, I'm also a bit confused about this and it seems as if we have maybe been given the wrong info... When reading wikijob/the hmrc site it seems as if all 4 tests are graded together and then you find out whether you can progress to stage 2 ... However, like you, I received a message saying I had passed the SJT, then I was invited to take the numerical and verbal reasoning tests and tonight I completed those and received a further message inviting me to take the work style questionnaire. I wonder if you have to pass SJT to get to numerical/verbal tests and then pass those to get to the work style questionnaire...It would be of great help if any other graduates who have been through this can enlighten us? I don't want to get my hopes up thinking I've passed the numerical and verbal tests when, in fact, all 4 tests will be graded at the end!

Thanks! :smile:

Well I did the first three then I got told I was unsuccessful lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ryhardcastle
Just to clarify, where are the main locations that the assessments are held? And if successful, do candidates get a choice of where they want to be based? I live near Leeds.

If you are on about the 2nd stage, all over the country so you pick which ever one is closes to you. I ended up doing mine in Southend

The 3rd stage was at Warwick uni
Original post by bowen22
Yes I've got mine this wednesday! how about you?

what date do you mean the 7/11/12?
Reply 787
Oh well, I guess the road to becoming a tax professional is not just taxing but as complex as the work itself! Should be fun!!!

Do you mind shedding a light on how difficult the actual numerical and verbal reasoning tests are in comparison to the practice tests on Kenexa website that HMRC directed us to? Thanks.

Hi,

I am generally quite good at verbal reasoning tests and found the hmrc test quite easy. I would advise you to do some SHL practice ones as it was of the same level as a practice test. My weakness has been numerical tests - I applied to pwc and failed the numerical reasoning - also find the SHL practice ones quite hard. I was surprised yesterday as the numerical test seemed ok - definitely easier than pwc. Again I'd advise you to do a few free practice tests on the SHL website and if you're getting on ok with them I'd imagine you will pass. The numerical one is difficult time-wise as you have to answer 20 questions in 20 minutes. I ran out of time and guessed the last 3 or 4 questions. I'd advise you to do the same if you only have 60 secs left. It's better to guess than not answer at all. I don't imagine the marking is negative.

Planning on doing the work-style questionnaire today. If anyone has any tips for the test I would appreciate it.

Thanks.
Passed situational judgement test, doing the numerical (arghh!) and verbal reasoning tests next week!
Well done!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

You said you were doing the e-tray for civil service? So am I. :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 790
I have an interview for the tax compliance officer, could anyone please give me a little information about what sort of questions to expect etc thankyouuuu xxx laura
Reply 791
Original post by communist_grad
what date do you mean the 7/11/12?

Yes tomorrow!
Yeah, saw your post on the Fast Stream thread! When do you have your E-Tray? Mine is on the 27th in London.

Ahh, I haven't booked mine yet.
Reply 793
Anybody done the 3 tests that follow the situational judgement test? I have yet to do mine having passed the first one??
Original post by ShabzM
Anybody done the 3 tests that follow the situational judgement test? I have yet to do mine having passed the first one??

Passed numerical failed verbal so got rejected
Reply 795
Original post by daindian
Passed numerical failed verbal so got rejected

Do you do all tests and then hear of the outcome or do you complete one and then can progress to the next depending on the outcome?
Original post by ShabzM
Do you do all tests and then hear of the outcome or do you complete one and then can progress to the next depending on the outcome?

One by one and then the results decide whether you progress
Original post by daindian
One by one and then the results decide whether you progress

I did the Verbal and Numerical practice tests on Kenexa. Are they of similar standard to the real thing? I got 11/12 in both of them...
Original post by kinetic2012
I did the Verbal and Numerical practice tests on Kenexa. Are they of similar standard to the real thing? I got 11/12 in both of them...

similar standard yes, but still harder than capita and shl
Ive still got verbal to do! But does that mean I passed numerical then!?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending