The Student Room Group

HMRC Tax Professional Programme

Scroll to see replies

Reply 980
Original post by dj_macky
Oh well done, Jimmy! And how did your E-Tray go?

Not too bad however the last thing i read before i left this morning was not to rush emails what did i do yes rush had 11 mins left however used the time to look over material in prep for written part a girl there spent more time on each one in fact she did not answer 3
I was in the top 1% according to the feedback page and they rejected me. Must be more to it.
I am through! Can't believe it tbh. Commiserations to all those that didn't get through - and good luck with the search! Having said that, It isn't like this is the end - this is just the beginning for both those that got through and those that didn't quite make it.

Keep it up.
Tupov
x
I wanna know how this is done, because on my feedback thing it says I only did better than 51% so I gave up on this months ago. My mate got like over 80% so was rooting for him yet today he got rejected and I got through.

Not complaining, just want to know what I did?!
Hello all!

Hmm... where and how do you find out what percentile you were in?
Original post by dj_macky
Well done, mate. It seems like only yesterday we were willing each other during the online tests! Congrats!!!

Thanks mate! I remember when we were the only two on here.

Best of luck with the civil service assessments. :smile:
Original post by misswilliams
I wanna know how this is done, because on my feedback thing it says I only did better than 51% so I gave up on this months ago. My mate got like over 80% so was rooting for him yet today he got rejected and I got through.

Not complaining, just want to know what I did?!

This. I got 50-ish percent and got through. Hmmm
Reply 987
Hello everyone.
After checking my email bazillion times a day I finally see my answer- got through to stage two.
Good luck to all who did go through- to those who didn't - you may always try next year.And hopefully in a meantime other things will come to fruition. I didn't seriously think I ll get through. Plan was to take next 10 months to prepare for 2013 application tbh.
Off I trot to read everything about kennexa tests i haven't already :smile: I'm using assessment day website but run out of their tests and need some new ones to practice on. So question to all your bunnies in the know- any good websites ,books which you would personally recommend? I'm building a library of online and book version tests as going through them is the only thing which calms me down before taking actual tests...I ve never taken any in my life apart from hmrc ones so its a new thing to me...Will appreciate any advice :smile:
Reply 988
Hi everyone.
Many congratulations to all who got through. I did not, and I am happy to move on. But I would like to know if anyone can tell me what the feedback given for the online tests is meant to signify. I sat all 4 tests and the feedback stated that I had done better than 97% of the test group. Is the feedback given for these tests meaningless?
I'd take the feedback mark with a pinch of salt.

The last questionnaire repeated a few questions and also had a few trick questions (ie have you ever been late) which may have affected the decision for some.

I got to Stage 2, really surprised as I struggled with the numeracy.

Edit: Also your application form will be taken into account, for example you might been in the top 1% but have no previous experience.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 990
Invite to next stage. Anyone have an idea what the analytical part is? Assuming e tray?
Reply 991
Original post by H.JJJ
Invite to next stage. Anyone have an idea what the analytical part is? Assuming e tray?

well done H. me too think the next stage is a test of deduction i.e james is faster than jason but slower than simon. simon can beat john but cant beat richard.

who wins?
who is last? etc

not sure this question works as i just made it up but think it maybe a more difficult version of this can anyone else confirm or correct me?
Original post by H.JJJ

Excuse my ignorance but I have seen the term e-tray come up quite a lot on this thread. Can someone please tell me what this is and should I be aware of it for this graduate job?
Reply 993
Original post by Amigos2222
I was in the top 1% according to the feedback page and they rejected me. Must be more to it.

I emailed them to query this as I was also in the top 1% and didn't get through. This is the response I got:

"The 99% you refer to is based on the HMRC test. The business are only taking through to the next stage of the exercise those applicants that scored over 90 percentile in the Work Style Questionnaire."

So it seems the % mark in the HMRC tests have been ignored (although there was probably a 'pass mark') in selecting the successful applicants in favour of the more subjective workstyle questionnaire!
Reply 994
Original post by nick_bham
Excuse my ignorance but I have seen the term e-tray come up quite a lot on this thread. Can someone please tell me what this is and should I be aware of it for this graduate job?

etray is an electronic version of intray where you are given information in different formats and are given a fictional scenario you then start answering emails as they come in as if you were in your fictional office dont think it is part of this application process however it is a big part of the civil service fast stream scheme i just completed my etray yesterday morning which is why it keeps cropping up on this forum
Reply 995
I've just had a look through the posts from last year, it appears they had to complete some form of in-tray/e-tray exercise. I really wouldn't be surprised if that is what the Analytical Skills assessment is. Hopefully the next e-mail will shed some light on it :smile:
Reply 996
Original post by r2a2c0h6e
I've just had a look through the posts from last year, it appears they had to complete some form of in-tray/e-tray exercise. I really wouldn't be surprised if that is what the Analytical Skills assessment is. Hopefully the next e-mail will shed some light on it :smile:

It maybe part of the assessment centre this further online stage was not there last year i think prob just trying to reduce the numbers further
Original post by markjay1
I emailed them to query this as I was also in the top 1% and didn't get through. This is the response I got:

"The 99% you refer to is based on the HMRC test. The business are only taking through to the next stage of the exercise those applicants that scored over 90 percentile in the Work Style Questionnaire."

So it seems the % mark in the HMRC tests have been ignored (although there was probably a 'pass mark') in selecting the successful applicants in favour of the more subjective workstyle questionnaire!

Wow, if that is true its pretty harsh. Didnt they say that wasnt a test but from how that reads it was the most important part
of the 4?
Original post by jimmy1975
etray is an electronic version of intray where you are given information in different formats and are given a fictional scenario you then start answering emails as they come in as if you were in your fictional office dont think it is part of this application process however it is a big part of the civil service fast stream scheme i just completed my etray yesterday morning which is why it keeps cropping up on this forum

Thanks Jimmy, seems pretty straight forwards and something I have done in real life already but I'll search the net for practice tests to get use to it :smile:
Original post by nick_bham
Wow, if that is true its pretty harsh. Didnt they say that wasnt a test but from how that reads it was the most important part
of the 4?

I think that's very clever and sneaky of them, they didn't attract attention to it but at the same time didn't dismiss it completely. I guess they thought it may attract more honest responses?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending