The Student Room Group

Further Math SL in one yera

Dear All,

I am currently taking Math HL as part of my IB course. I have recently discovered that most Universities ask for Further Math SL as well for applicants to the Math Courses. Now, as I have one more year ahead of me (1.5 actually) I wanted to ask:

1) Is it feasible to cover the Further Math SL Syllabus in one yera?
2) Can I add it as a seventh SL subject?
3) If that can't be done, can I take it as a single exam and get a certificate which doesn't add up to my IB total?
4) Is FMSL possible as "self-taught"? Is that recommended?

Thanks! :cool:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by max0005
Dear All,

I am currently taking Math HL as part of my IB course. I have recently discovered that most Universities ask for Further Math SL as well for applicants to the Math Courses. Now, as I have one more year ahead of me (1.5 actually) I wanted to ask:

3) If that can't be done, can I take it as a single exam and get a certificate which doesn't add up to my IB total?

1) TOO HARD. its supposidley harder than further maths a levels, and only chinese ppl do it

2) THAT WOULD BE TOO MUCH. either change it for HL maths, but taking 7 subjeccts is too much for anyone

4) dont self teach it to urself unless u belive that ur a genius in maths
Reply 2
Original post by max0005
Dear All,

No, they don't. In fact, no university in the UK asks for Further Maths SL.
Reply 3
Original post by --Butters--
1) TOO HARD. its supposidley harder than further maths a levels, and only chinese ppl do it

2) THAT WOULD BE TOO MUCH. either change it for HL maths, but taking 7 subjeccts is too much for anyone

4) dont self teach it to urself unless u belive that ur a genius in maths

That sounds a little harsh there :P
I thought IB took down further maths this year?

And back to the topic, not recommended, IB Math HL is enough I guess. And no, it's impossible to do the diploma and certificate at the same time, I tried to do that too by taking 5 higher levels but still forced to drop one.
Reply 4
Original post by chrypton
No, they don't. In fact, no university in the UK asks for Further Maths SL.

Oxford:

Candidates are expected to have Mathematics to A-level (A* grade), Advanced Higher (A grade), or Higher Level in the IB (score 7) or another equivalent. Further Mathematics is also highly recommended.

King's College London:

Compulsory subjects
For those offering A2 Further Mathematics: A in A2 Mathematics (with grade A in all four core units: C1, C2, C3 & C4); A in A2 Further Mathematics.

(Plus specifics for IB include level 6 HL Maths)

Original post by Kaiwen
That sounds a little harsh there :P
I thought IB took down further maths this year?

And back to the topic, not recommended, IB Math HL is enough I guess. And no, it's impossible to do the diploma and certificate at the same time, I tried to do that too by taking 5 higher levels but still forced to drop one.

From IB website:

further mathematics standard level which will become a higher level course in 2012 with first examinations in 2014.

And no, it's impossible to do the diploma and certificate at the same time, I tried to do that too by taking 5 higher levels but still forced to drop one.

I understand. Right now I have four HLs and 2 SLs. If I'm not mistaken, the IB allows Four HL/Three SL combinations.

Still, is the syllabus coverable in one year?
Reply 5
Original post by max0005
Oxford:

King's College London:

(Plus specifics for IB include level 6 HL Maths)

From IB website:

I understand. Right now I have four HLs and 2 SLs. If I'm not mistaken, the IB allows Four HL/Three SL combinations.

Still, is the syllabus coverable in one year?

Both Oxford and King's are referring to A level Further Maths.
Reply 6
King does (Had misread), but Oxford seems to be referring to IB.
Can someone help me out? What's the difference between the two? If I took just Further Maths SL, would that be considered better and would universities like this more or Maths HL on its own?

Basically would universities like: a 7 in Maths HL, a 7 in Further Maths SL, or 7 in both, more?
Reply 8
Further Mathematics is a subject you take along with Mathematics HL. It is unlikely that most universities will require it unless you want to study Maths as a subject in top-rank ones. (Eg: Cambridge highly advises it for their Mathematics course, despite it not being unheard of people who didn't do Further having been made an offer.)

Whether or not universities will consider you "better" depends on single institutions; Overall, a 6 or 7 is Math HL is generally considered a sufficient level for most courses in most universities.
Reply 9
Original post by max0005
King does (Had misread), but Oxford seems to be referring to IB.

They aren't referring to IB Further Maths. The HL course on its own is an "equivalent" to A-Level maths+further maths.
Original post by max0005
Further Mathematics is a subject you take along with Mathematics HL. It is unlikely that most universities will require it unless you want to study Maths as a subject in top-rank ones. (Eg: Cambridge highly advises it for their Mathematics course, despite it not being unheard of people who didn't do Further having been made an offer.)

Whether or not universities will consider you "better" depends on single institutions; Overall, a 6 or 7 is Math HL is generally considered a sufficient level for most courses in most universities.

Ah right... so I gather Further Maths is definitely a more difficult course, but is it possible that I do not take Maths HL but ONLY Further Maths SL? Any idea if thats possible? o.O
Reply 11
I'm not sure whether that is possible... I suppose you'd need some of the knowledge from Math HL for Futhers, but you'd have to check with IB.
Reply 12
Further maths is just HL maths core + all options, instead of just HL maths + 1 option, as in regular HL maths.
Hi all, I've just recently found out about Further Maths and its existence because my school doesn't offer it. Would it be possible to take it as a private study rather than the HL math exam as it is taught? I just feel like HL maths is not enough of a challenge and I need something more. Also, is there some sort of course description out there for it? I couldn't find one on the IBO site... Thanks!
Ok thanks a lot! I'll have a look with my school if its possible! :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by Mathsman4Life
Hi all, I've just recently found out about Further Maths and its existence because my school doesn't offer it. Would it be possible to take it as a private study rather than the HL math exam as it is taught? I just feel like HL maths is not enough of a challenge and I need something more. Also, is there some sort of course description out there for it? I couldn't find one on the IBO site... Thanks!

Haha. How far through the IB are you?
Original post by Hypocrism
Haha. How far through the IB are you?

I've just started the IB, I'm about 2 weeks in.
Reply 17

Trust me, Mathematics HL can be quite challenging on its own. :wink:
Reply 18

Then don't say HL maths isn't challenging :wink: Try a past paper.
Original post by Hypocrism
Then don't say HL maths isn't challenging :wink: Try a past paper.

I've tried the past papers before. I got all marks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending