The Student Room Group

I'm stuck... I want to change my career prospects and do music?

Hey,
So I'm actually doing my A-Levels because I want to study Filmmaking at Uni, but lately I've found myself wanting to change my career prospects completely and really dedicate myself to music. I don't really know what exactly, but I know I want to go to uni to study music.

However, none of my A Levels are music related and I don't have proper music qualifications at the moment. I'm thinking of dropping out of college and applying for a music school in september, but to do a foundation degree, they pretty much all ask for at least a few a levels. So I'm kinda stuck... How can I get my way into uni (or conservatoire, or a prestigious music school, but probably uni) in my situation?

Basically I guess I'm looking for the kind of qualifications you need to study Music at Uni, apart from A levels or BTEC. Are there schools that offer a Foundation degree without A Levels as entry requirements?

I'm 18 btw, and I already own 3 guitars (well I only use one of them really) so I'm pretty familiar with the instrument. That's to say I'm not a complete beginner.

Thanks in advance if some have been in similar situations :wink:
Reply 1
I thin the best advice i can give you is to speak to the colleges you are interested in and also speak to your tutors perhaps? Sometimes with it comes to creative courses, qualificaiton is not the only thing that matters, in fact, it's probably the least important thing. The most important thing is your work / portfolio. Have you made any music? Can you make some music and build up some sort of portfolio? Does your college and other places where you are offer short courses in music during weekends / evenings you can do? Finally, if time and money isn't too big of an issue, can you retake your A-level in some music related subjects? I know some colleges offer fast track A-levels for adults students meaning they complete their A-level in one year instead of two, would this be a possibility?

Quick Reply

Latest