The Student Room Group

I think my "mate" fancies my boyfriend...

OK well basically I've been with my boyfriend on and off for three years. We've had two break ups but are now at a point where we are moving in together and stuff. But I can't help but feel a bit anxious about a friend of mine.

I started university last year and I made friends with this girl, I then met up with my boyfriend who I'd not seen for over a year and we got back together. She was always included and he treated her like one of his own friends and she was always saying how jealous she was, how she wished she had a boyfriend like that etc.

Anyway we had a really bad break up and I obviously was in a bad state and probably over exagerrated the situation and she told me that she thought we were wrong with each other and that our fights were brutal and we were a train wreck waiting to happen. Which was bizarre because any arguments or disagreements we had were always quickly sorted and never ebbed out to my other areas of my life.

Anyway after a few months and a lot of space my boyfriend and I got to talking and decided that we had a few disagreements but we should give it another go.

My friend was furious, she said she never wanted to hear his name mentioned and that I was "F'cking stupid, I deserve to end up hurt blah blah blah" and then randomly when I don't even mention him starts shouting at me in public places. Saying that he "bought me back" and all this.

He thinks it's funny and still considers her to be a friend but I'm ever so slightly suspicious of her motives. Most friends even if they don't agree should still support your desicions. I am very happy and I am very in love but I am still realistic about the whole thing. She can be very.....flakey with her moods and once when I was ill and couldn't come out she threw a strop and didn't talk to me for a month.

Also when we split up I went away to Thailand and me and my bf talked whilst we were away and she had invited him to go clubbing with her. They text each other and they are still friends.

I trust my boyfriend implicity, he considers her to be a friend and nothing else but I cannot help but feel ever so slightly ambiguous about her feelings towards him. She's had a really bad time with blokes before allowing them to use her and abuse her and he is one of the only blokes in my experience that treats her as a friend and not like a piece of meat.

I know nothing will happen between them but I just want to gauge other people's ideas on the situation as to how I can resolve it and she can stop bloody shouting at me and making me feel bad for getting back together with someone I love so much, who has been my best friend for longer than I've known her.

Thanks.
Reply 1
Seriously. When I broke up with my boyfriend my so called 'mate' took him on holiday with her to blackpool, the *****!!! She didn't tell me I found out a few days after she had come back...

But it takes two to tango! I think they are both as bad as one another, and if you trust your bf you should leave him to fend her off. But if I were you I'd talk to her about the shouting! I wouldn't take that!

As for my 'mate' we no longer speak. I hate them both! Don't let this happen, talk to her before anything ever happens!
Reply 2
To be honest I think I'll leave it. The next time she has a go at me I'll tell her to shut the f**k up. I don't care about losing her as a friend re-reading that. She's been nothing but hassle and grief to me and for her to be slagging off one of the best things in my life. Someone who has been around and been more dedicated to me in the last week than she has been in over a year then it's not worth it.

If I'm happy she should be happy for me.

Thanks dude
--------------
Oh they didn't actually go clubbing I found out because he told me and she suddenly "cancelled". Hmmm
Reply 3
i love the saying "it takes two to tango"
Reply 4
elbow drop her.
Reply 5
grace
elbow drop her.
Haha I love it.
--------------
The issue is that my boyfriend has a severe lack of tact and diplomacy. When I told him about what she had said about us and said that she didn't like him any more (Which she did say) he text her saying "Why don't you like me anymore :frown:" in a jokey way. Which she quickly buffered and said I was talking pants and had a major go at me.

It's rather annoying because he finds the whole situation amusing grr
Reply 6
Thanks guys. She's very manipulative I've actually found myself APOLOGISING to her when she's shouting at me. It's stupid.
Reply 7
The Fluff
OK well basically I've been with my boyfriend on and off for three years. We've had two break ups but are now at a point where we are moving in together and stuff. But I can't help but feel a bit anxious about a friend of mine.

I started university last year and I made friends with this girl, I then met up with my boyfriend who I'd not seen for over a year and we got back together. She was always included and he treated her like one of his own friends and she was always saying how jealous she was, how she wished she had a boyfriend like that etc.

Anyway we had a really bad break up and I obviously was in a bad state and probably over exagerrated the situation and she told me that she thought we were wrong with each other and that our fights were brutal and we were a train wreck waiting to happen. Which was bizarre because any arguments or disagreements we had were always quickly sorted and never ebbed out to my other areas of my life.

Anyway after a few months and a lot of space my boyfriend and I got to talking and decided that we had a few disagreements but we should give it another go.

My friend was furious, she said she never wanted to hear his name mentioned and that I was "F'cking stupid, I deserve to end up hurt blah blah blah" and then randomly when I don't even mention him starts shouting at me in public places. Saying that he "bought me back" and all this.

He thinks it's funny and still considers her to be a friend but I'm ever so slightly suspicious of her motives. Most friends even if they don't agree should still support your desicions. I am very happy and I am very in love but I am still realistic about the whole thing. She can be very.....flakey with her moods and once when I was ill and couldn't come out she threw a strop and didn't talk to me for a month.

Also when we split up I went away to Thailand and me and my bf talked whilst we were away and she had invited him to go clubbing with her. They text each other and they are still friends.

I trust my boyfriend implicity, he considers her to be a friend and nothing else but I cannot help but feel ever so slightly ambiguous about her feelings towards him. She's had a really bad time with blokes before allowing them to use her and abuse her and he is one of the only blokes in my experience that treats her as a friend and not like a piece of meat.

I know nothing will happen between them but I just want to gauge other people's ideas on the situation as to how I can resolve it and she can stop bloody shouting at me and making me feel bad for getting back together with someone I love so much, who has been my best friend for longer than I've known her.

Thanks.

If your so sure your boyfriend wont do anything with her then whats the big panic????
Only option is to have words with her or wait until you catch her red handed.
Reply 8
If 'twere my girlfriend in the same situation, I'd STOP talking and texting the psycho, if only for my girl's peace of mind.

Since he isn't doing that, you have to think there's at least SOMETHING going on. Of course there's no way of knowing how naked or seminal that 'thing' is.
Reply 9
-TMG-
If 'twere my girlfriend in the same situation, I'd STOP talking and texting the psycho, if only for my girl's peace of mind.

Since he isn't doing that, you have to think there's at least SOMETHING going on. Of course there's no way of knowing how naked or seminal that 'thing' is.

I know nothing is going on. Like for fact. My boyfriend a)isn't the type and b) wouldn't touch her with a barge pole (she's too high matienance).
Reply 10
your so called friend is lame.
the green eyed monster has come out to play it seems.
she prob is after your boyfriend but it would seem you have nothing to worry about since you and your boyfriend always work things out.
id just leave her to it and the next time she gets all lame just tell her to **** off or just ignore her
Reply 11
drop both of them! why is ur bf still texting her after the fact that both of u arent on speaking terms? why did he text her with what u had said??
He is enjoying being the centre of attention, what guy wouldnt like having two girls fight over him! dont give him nor her the satisfaction of making a FOOL out of u. DROP THEM BOTH!!!
Reply 12
she was always saying how jealous she was
Well, she's definitely not lying there...

One word was going through my mind as I read that - "psycho"...as has already been said (both by yourself and by others who have replied), friends should be there to support you; telling you that you're "****ing stupid" and that you "deserve to end up hurt" is anything BUT supportive. Horrendous.

He thinks it's funny and still considers her to be a friend but I'm ever so slightly suspicious of her motives
I'm not one to stir things up (usually), but you're right to be suspicious of her. You're lucky to have a boyfriend you trust so much, but even so, it may be an idea to ask him to maybe try to distance himself from her (limit or even stop the texting, for example) - so long as she's anywhere in the picture, she's going to be a thorn in the side.

once when I was ill and couldn't come out she threw a strop and didn't talk to me for a month
Bloody...hell......

The next time she has a go at me I'll tell her to shut the f**k up
Good on ya, hun :smile:

The issue is that my boyfriend has a severe lack of tact and diplomacy. When I told him about what she had said about us and said that she didn't like him any more (Which she did say) he text her saying "Why don't you like me anymore :frown:" in a jokey way. Which she quickly buffered and said I was talking pants and had a major go at me.

It's rather annoying because he finds the whole situation amusing grr
Talk to him. He's got to know how much she's getting to you, then you can hope that he'll take it a bit more seriously.

wouldn't touch her with a barge pole
The way you've described her, I'm surprised anyone would :rolleyes:

The whole ordeal revolves around her. Separate yourself and your boyfriend from her and you'll be separating yourself from the problem...and don't be afraid to tell her to **** off if she gets stroppy. Good luck, hun :hugs:

Latest

Trending

Trending