The Student Room Group

The Oxford UNIQ Summer Schools Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Samrina786
Hey,

I recently found out about the UNIQ Summer School at Oxford University, which runs in August ever year. As a student keen to study Medicine, I thought it'd be great if I was able to take part in this summer programme in August 2011. However, part of the application process requires the candidate to write a 2000 character personal statement. And they tell you to prepare this before the applications actually open. So, calling to those who have attended the UNIQSS in the past, or to students who are also looking to apply for it; what tips can you give for writing the personal statement?

Thank you for your time guys?
Any help would be appreciated! :biggrin:

I went to a similar one at Cambridge one 3 years ago and then to the reunion the year after. It was amazing and I still speak to lots of the people I went there with it was a great experience! I choose not to write as much about my academic achievements and wrote more about me as a person and what I wanted out of the experience as a whole. I guess I wanted to be different as I knew everybody else would go on and on about all the things they had done in the past that makes them amazing. You need to include it but just don’t let it dominate the majority of the statement. Let your personality shine though as there’s going to be thousands of students who have high predictions and great GSCE’s and do volunteer work etc..
Original post by Lexi C
Just completed the application :biggrin: Anyone applying for German?

i really wanted to but i'm busy the week it's on! doing a language at oxbridge sounds amazing (plus it has a higher success rate aha..). I applied for lit instead.
Reply 382
Original post by TheatreLovely
I applied for German, but I don't think my personal statement was very good, so I probably won't get in. I spent ages on it, and couldn't think of anything else that I could do, but I'm still really worried.

You're the only other person who I've seen applying for German. What sort of stuff did you write about?

Yeah I wrote that because I didn't know anyone applying for it either!
Yeah mine was so rushed, I doubt I've got it. I wrote about why I wanted to go to Oxford, why the course.. And then German stuff I do in my free time: watch German films, follow German politics and economics, go to Germany.. When I look back it wasn't that good!!

What did you write about?
Reply 383
Original post by doloroushazy
i really wanted to but i'm busy the week it's on! doing a language at oxbridge sounds amazing (plus it has a higher success rate aha..). I applied for lit instead.

Yeah it did look easy enough to get into ha! I know and it'd be soo useful. Oh well good luck for lit!
Original post by Lexi C
Yeah I wrote that because I didn't know anyone applying for it either!
Yeah mine was so rushed, I doubt I've got it. I wrote about why I wanted to go to Oxford, why the course.. And then German stuff I do in my free time: watch German films, follow German politics and economics, go to Germany.. When I look back it wasn't that good!!

What did you write about?

I wrote about a compeition I came as a runner up in, some books I'd read, going to Germany and then about why I wanted to go to the summer school. Yours sounds so impressive compared to mine. :frown:
Reply 385
Original post by TheatreLovely
I wrote about a compeition I came as a runner up in, some books I'd read, going to Germany and then about why I wanted to go to the summer school. Yours sounds so impressive compared to mine. :frown:

Ha you sound like someone who underestimates themself! No honestly mine's no good, and you came 2nd in a competition? That shows talent! I hope we both get on :biggrin: I really really want to! :biggrin:
I'm in year13 and planning on taking a gap year, can I apply to this summer school?
Original post by CrystalArtemis
I'm in year13 and planning on taking a gap year, can I apply to this summer school?

Nope, it's for Year 12s only. And the closing date was Thursday anyway :frown:
anyone heard of Oxford Royale Academy which helds summer school in oxford university?i'm considering to apply for it but since the organization is a company, i'm not sure about that and wanna see if anyone has participated in any of its programme before? thank you! :smile:
thanks! :smile: havae you joined this program before?
Original post by thefrustrated
thanks! :smile: havae you joined this program before?

Never had anything to do with them - I'm not a big fan of these courses really but that's on judgement rather than direct experience.
Well guys, I applied for Spanish last week - any fellow Spanish applicants out there? I found it really hard to write the personal statement especially with only 2000 characters to sell myself to them. Does anyone know when they'll start getting back to people? I know that the Sutton Trust start contacting people in April?
I have 7A*'s 4A's and a B so I've got the fingers crossed haha :smile:
Thanks in advance.
Original post by brogan7812
Well guys, I applied for Spanish last week - any fellow Spanish applicants out there? I found it really hard to write the personal statement especially with only 2000 characters to sell myself to them. Does anyone know when they'll start getting back to people? I know that the Sutton Trust start contacting people in April?
Thanks in advance.

I'm applying for Literature :biggrin:

GL
Original post by Threepigs
I'm applying for Literature :biggrin:

GL

Aww thanks :smile:
Good Luck to you too! Do you know anything about when they'll start announcing places?
Original post by brogan7812
Thanks in advance.

22nd April will be for the Oxford UNIQ - best of luck :smile:
Original post by The.Night.Watch.Woman

Original post by The.Night.Watch.Woman
22nd April will be for the Oxford UNIQ - best of luck :smile:

That's too far away...
Original post by fluteflute
That's too far away...

I agree :frown:
Hehe but I'm excited :biggrin:
Hope i get in for medicine

:smile: i go to a school with low gcse achievement, and i get £10 EMA
you all have amazing GCSE grades

oxford uniq compare you against the number of people who got A*'s in my school
i didn't do too badly then
if its up against you guys, you'll win, but if it's just in the context in my school..there might be hope!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending