The Student Room Group

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 980
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
That's...that's me in a nutshell. Thanks. :pierre:

Achievements ruin gaming experiences. They really do. You become too focussed on them, to the point you neglect the experience.

I wouldn't say they ruin the experience, but I do agree they are completely unneeded. I like completing them, but I don't go out of my way to do it, especially some of the stupider ones: like using an ability so many damn times or having a character in your team for a certain length of time (a couple from the ME series).

Sort of glad that Nintendo haven't bought into it. It's just a cheap way to lengthen game time, really.
Original post by Hylean
I wouldn't say they ruin the experience, but I do agree they are completely unneeded. I like completing them, but I don't go out of my way to do it, especially some of the stupider ones: like using an ability so many damn times or having a character in your team for a certain length of time (a couple from the ME series).

Sort of glad that Nintendo haven't bought into it. It's just a cheap way to lengthen game time, really.

I agree with the two you mentioned, "doing something a set amount of times" and either finding all companions or having them along for the ride for X-amount of time. Fallout New Vegas' one for getting all the companions was hard; I'm not sure if you had to do it in one playthrough, but I always ended up accidently killing someone.

For example, the first time I went for Boone, I brought the old gal out in front of Dinky and without realizing it was actually her, I had her shot because she was suspicious. Obviously went for the "Just a hunch" option, and Boone threw a hissy and attacked me. :dry: This happened with Rex when the NCR attacked the Kings; ED-E was shot to **** on the attack on Primm when I played it on Hardcore and so was Roul at Black Mountain and the FotA Doctor guy. :dry:

Wasn't until I saw a mate who'd played it almost as long as I have get it who said that you didn't need to do it on one playthrough.

Finally ****ing got the last one which was, to me, the hardest. Ross of Sharron Cassidy will NOT follow you unless you make a character with skill in Speech/Barter/etc. :dry:

Saying that, ED-E on Lonesome Road was quite tough too.

In any case, those sort of achievements kind'a annoy me. :colondollar:
Reply 982
Original post by DH-Biker
Ahh, I see.

That sounds pretty good, actually. Do you see a lot of people with Platinum Trophies, then? If its anything like Achievements on XBL, you wont see many people with full achievements.

I think out of the 60-70 XB games I've got, there are only several (Oblivion, Fallout 3 and New Vegas) in which I've got full gamer-score. And they aren't even on my most-used account which is my XBL account.

Some achievements are ridiculous, but for the most part they aren't so bad. :dontknow:

I think I prefer, (from the sounds of it), the XB Achievements rather then the Trophy-system. It sounds good, but I don't know about ranking Achievements in level of difficulty, etc. :tongue:

Yeah as someone with both, I don't really have a huge preference. I will say that people tend to have more of an incentive to go for platinum as everyone can see how many you have, but that doesn't really matter.

Which isn't so bad, really. If you think back to Oblivion, you could block a charged attach from a Claymore with a dagger. :dontknow:

At least in this one its more realistic. Also, it stops enemies blocking you with tiny weapons too. :yep:
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
Oh the reviews are already out as is the game in some regions. :tongue:

General consensus is that it is pretty mediocre in overall implementation. It boils down to a mesh of FPS and racing elements with a derivative and repetitive story (or lack thereof). That's not surprising considering the developer though. The game does look absolutely beautiful. Might give it a rent.

Oh of course, its out tomorrow here, isn't it? 7th Oct?

Ahh I completely lost track of the date. :tongue: I may well buy it tomorrow then, or wait till my Birthday next week and ask someone really nicely if they'll fund my gaming. :tongue:

Well, that's a shame. I think I'll still buy it, as it does look flash.

Its a problem a lot of RPGs get bogged down in. With Borderlands, near the end you got stuck in that snowed over area and it just became a run and gun, no more freedom and choice. :no:

Fallout New Vegas sort of had it towards the end game, but not so bad and it gave you the option to postpone the final segment in order to continue the RPG expanse. Fallout 3, wasn't too bad again and Oblivion didn't even get a whiff off it.

I think it may be good for the overall feel, and the enemies, weapons, environments and general backdrop are pretty toned up. I think it'll do well in those regards, but if its being criticized for its lack of any real "oomph" already, I can't see it getting much in the way of very high scores or awards.
Reply 986
Which isn't so bad, really. If you think back to Oblivion, you could block a charged attach from a Claymore with a dagger. :dontknow:

At least in this one its more realistic. Also, it stops enemies blocking you with tiny weapons too. :yep:

They should have made an exception for one handed swords, being unable to parry is weird (but makes sense :tongue:)
Reply 987
Original post by Hylean

Before games started having achievements, some games used to have essentially the same thing but completing it would actually unlock something interesting. A cut scene, a new car, a new weapon, etc. Some games still do, but I wonder if some developers think that they can get away with just making it an achievement.
Reply 988
Original post by Psyk
Before games started having achievements, some games used to have essentially the same thing but completing it would actually unlock something interesting. A cut scene, a new car, a new weapon, etc. Some games still do, but I wonder if some developers think that they can get away with just making it an achievement.

I think unlocking a new item or minor story point, etc. is a decent reward compared to some ****ty "gamer points".
Reply 989
Original post by Hylean
I think unlocking a new item or minor story point, etc. is a decent reward compared to some ****ty "gamer points".

I agree. In the PS2 GTA games finding all the hidden packages would unlock cool stuff. But in GTA4 I'm not sure you get anything other than an achievement for shooting all the pigeons.
Reply 990
Original post by G8D
I have acrobatics level 94 in Oblivion. It's ridiculous.

Nice random info there :tongue: Yeah I'm glad they have got rid of it, such a stupid skill.
Reply 991
Original post by G8D
I can't even walk down long flights of stairs at normal walking/jogging speed or else I take fall damage :sad:

Not very acrobatic that.
Reply 992
MUD CRABS ARE BACK! YES! YES! :woo:

If they don't put in the, "I ran into a couple of Mudcrabs the other day", line it'll be a travesty! :tongue:
Reply 994
MUD CRABS ARE BACK! YES! YES! :woo:

If they don't put in the, "I ran into a couple of Mudcrabs the other day", line it'll be a travesty! :tongue:

Yes, but will they participate in mercantile enterprise? :biggrin:
Reply 995
Original post by tface
It's exactly the same as achievements except that instead of points they are either bronze silver or gold (and you get a platinum for getting every trophy for a game) and as you get more trophies you level up instead of amassing points :smile: Potato potahto :tongue:

Did you get trophies for Oblivion? as many games got updated. I'd check but my PS3 is broken atm LOL :angry:
Reply 996
Original post by Seb
Did you get trophies for Oblivion? as many games got updated. I'd check but my PS3 is broken atm LOL :angry:

No idea I played it on Xbox (and got 1250 points :smug:)
Original post by tface
No idea I played it on Xbox (and got 1250 points :smug:)

I like Oblivion's Achievements. Reasonably easy to get by just doing the Main Faction's quests and the Main Quest-Line.

:colondollar:
Reply 998
Has a list of system requirements been released yet? Couldn't see it on the first post and I don't know if its being updated

Seriously considering buying a rig/laptop for this.
Reply 999
Original post by H.JJJ
Has a list of system requirements been released yet? Couldn't see it on the first post and I don't know if its being updated

Seriously considering buying a rig/laptop for this.

Not yet.

I like Oblivion's Achievements. Reasonably easy to get by just doing the Main Faction's quests and the Main Quest-Line.

:colondollar:

Yeah it's basically just a check box of things you really should do :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest