The Student Room Group

Travelodge - now 57% more killer friendly

Poll

Will you continue to stay at Travelodges in future?

A lovely little story right here and here from TSRs favourite two Tabloid rags :yep: Four esteemed ladies, just moved out of prison and gained employment almost immediately into another one (Although Travelodge would rather be regarded as a "budget hotel" :rolleyes:). I'm going to hold fire on reacting to this myself (do ignore my imflamatory headline), but how do you feel about this?

Hundreds, possibly thousands of unemployed law abiding, non murdering, York residents being rejected in favour of three Rose Wests. Is this fair? :beard:

Should we actually be more left wing, compassionate and greatful for the fact they're working rather than "claiming benefits" and encourage more employers to do away with Criminal Record checks and allow them to also re-intergrate with society with ease? :beard:

Will you see this story as scaremongering of the worse kind and continue to stay at Travelodges, despite it being a toilet even without killer maids, anyway? :beard:
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Im not certain what you are polling.

If they have served their sentence in prison and were the best candidates for those jobs then yes they should be allowed to work.

As you say, i believe this is preferable to them living on tax payers money.
Original post by josh_v
Im not certain what you are polling.

If they have served their sentence in prison and were the best candidates for those jobs then yes they should be allowed to work.

As you say, i believe this is preferable to them living on tax payers money.

It's very simple - has this story affected your decision to stay at Travelodges in future? A lot of families and couples have already said they have cancelled their bookings and will not stay there again on the back of this story, for example.

I see your point but were they really picked because they were the "best candidates"? I highly doubt it. You don't get a lot of housekeeping or reception experiance in prison.
Reply 3
I think this is good.

Chances are in the future i'll be out of prison, probably locked because some sport of sexual assault or robbery.

Soo it's nice to know i'll still have options and opportunities when I get out.
Reply 4
To answer the question in the poll, this wouldn't affect my decision to stay at a Travelodge - I like them :smile: Cheap, convenient, brilliant if you're stopping overnight somewhere for a couple of nights.
I've never stayed at "Travelodge", whatever it is.

Then again, I'm not a peasant :colonhash:
Reply 6
i think its good!
they've served their time so at least they're working now they're out?
better than sitting on their butts all day claiming benefits :smile:
Yes it's fair. They've served their time, why shouldn't they have employment?
I've actually got a Travelodge booking in a months time, only cost £29 :biggrin:
Reply 8
I don't care to be honest. People are less likely to do more murdering if they have employment.
Reply 9
To be fair, that Travelodge does look a bit like a prison. They're just easing them into normal life gently.
Reply 10
I've never stayed in a travelodge, and never intended to either. This has just reaffirmed my decision.
I think what's newsworthy about the story isn't that there is a killer working at Travelodge, it's that there are 3!
Reply 11
Predictably, lots of people want to show that they are able to look at 'both sides' of every case. Well, even police forces 'discriminate' when deciding who to charge with crimes - basically they've decided that there is a reasonable chance of conviction.

So when it comes to who you want to have access to the key to your hotel bedroom, who is able to access it in the cold dead of night if they chose to, call me old fashioned but I'd like it to be in the hands of someone who hasn't killed a human being. In fact, it's a requirement of me like having a continental breakfast option.

There are plenty of jobs where convicted killers can get work. Being in a building full of sleeping members of the public should not be one of them.
I don't care, to be honest.

These women weren't convicted of killing random strangers as they slept, they were convicted of murdering their husbands.

EDIT: I know killing your husband can be considered to be worse, but I think it shows that there was something more personal or there was other reasons behind it, as we don't know the circumstances.
If the women had killed random people in the street or were serial killers or something, I'd be more worried.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 13
I'd love to hear what Alan Partridge has to say on the matter
Reply 14
Thats nothing. I know of a woman who was convicted of killing her 2 children, then managed to get a job working with children in a nursery a few years after her release! :eek:

Its a difficult situation. On one hand I am glad (in a way) that they have managed to get jobs after their release and are able to rebuild their lives and contribute to society again. On the other hand, it frightens me a little. However, how much do we really know about people in general? We could be among all sorts of people every day and know very little about their pasts..........
They sound like lovely ladies. :laugh: But I still prefer Premier Inn.

They should have been executed though. Why are people like this even released into society?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Yawn11
I think this is good.

Chances are in the future i'll be out of prison, probably locked because some sport of sexual assault or robbery.

Soo it's nice to know i'll still have options and opportunities when I get out.

Worrying post you've done there....

Back to the original subject. Isn't it better that they're holding down jobs and contributing to society (through tax and whatnot) than claiming benefits or re-offending and going back to prison?
Knifed! Stabbed! Burned!
Reply 18
Original post by Ultimate_Geek
Worrying post you've done there....

Back to the original subject. Isn't it better that they're holding down jobs and contributing to society (through tax and whatnot) than claiming benefits or re-offending and going back to prison?

Should I have put I will attend counselling sessions to prove I'm a changed man?
Doesn't affect my feelings at all.
As someone else has said, once they have done their time, then they should be free to get jobs. What do you suggest we do with people just out of jail?

Original post by Dude Where's My Username
A lot of families and couples have already said they have cancelled their bookings and will not stay there again on the back of this story, for example.

I'd like to see some evidence of that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending