The Student Room Group

Unrelated Gap Year

Hi guys
I intend to apply for chemical engineering and I'm also planning to do a gap year, but not related to engineering - I want go abroad (presumably Japan) and teach English there. Would it be an advantage or a disadvantage when it comes to the uni making me an offer? I know that such gap years like the year in the industry can help a lot in getting into an engineering course, but what about something like this?
Thx for help
Original post by jacuch
Hi guys
I intend to apply for chemical engineering and I'm also planning to do a gap year, but not related to engineering - I want go abroad (presumably Japan) and teach English there. Would it be an advantage or a disadvantage when it comes to the uni making me an offer? I know that such gap years like the year in the industry can help a lot in getting into an engineering course, but what about something like this?
Thx for help

Personally I chose not to do an engineering related gap year. What I was advised was as long as you had a plan and could show commitment to said plan, then that was fine, didn't have to be engineering related. (Personally I am currently working in accountancy and then spending 6 months sailing)

Quick Reply

Latest