The Student Room Group

Healthcare in the UK as a student?

Hi,

I am a Canadian citizen coming over to the UK to study. Can someone explain how your health care and dental system work for overseas students?

In Canada, healthcare is publically funded for all citizens with some exceptions (drugs, extra treatments, special rooms, some procedures) and dental is NOT covered. When you go to school here, you are generally put on a health-insurance plan through the students union whereby your health and dental extra expenses can be partially covered.

Is this the case in the UK? Is it different from school to school?

I've got to get some wisdom teeth work done, and I was thinking about putting it off until I came to the UK - depending on cost (will cost me 750 pounds here).
Original post by snowballer
Hi,

I am a Canadian citizen coming over to the UK to study. Can someone explain how your health care and dental system work for overseas students?

In Canada, healthcare is publically funded for all citizens with some exceptions (drugs, extra treatments, special rooms, some procedures) and dental is NOT covered. When you go to school here, you are generally put on a health-insurance plan through the students union whereby your health and dental extra expenses can be partially covered.

Is this the case in the UK? Is it different from school to school?

I've got to get some wisdom teeth work done, and I was thinking about putting it off until I came to the UK - depending on cost (will cost me 750 pounds here).

This website seems good: http://www.foreignstudents.com/student-guide/health
Reply 2
NHS is free for doctors appointments, hospital visits, emergency room etc. Prescription charge is about £8 per presecription, no mnatter how big or small the parcel is. It's very difficult to find an NHS dentist though so you may have to go private on that.
Reply 3
Dentists here cost a tonne. Healthcare is free.
Agreed - it is pretty difficult to find an NHS dentist here, even harder to find one that will actually see you. When I was at uni I came home to go to the dentist because it was so difficult. Private dentists are expensive, don't wait until you get here!
Someone know how it works when I stay affiliated to an other EU health care system. I know it's possible and works, but I don't know how it works in practice. Will I have to pay in advance and then be reimbursed or will the NHS advance the money and then ask to my national equivalent of NHS to pay.
Reply 6
I need some wisdom teeth work, about 780 Sterling Pounds here in Can. Looks like it will cost the same in the UK so I might as well get it done now.

Thanks
Reply 7
Check ups are about £16. Descaling costs extra. There is however a maximum charge on dental treatment. I think it's about £170.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending