The Student Room Group

Has anyone volunteered through workaway.info?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Some workaways give you meager food, no clothes washing and restrict electricity and hot water. I was just at one who did that. You need to read the description thoroughly, reviews thoroughly and read between the lines. And remember this, I've just had a bad experience and luckily had a car so was able to drive home. When I got home I had negative feedback, which I expected, for leaving. They had told me they had mice but controlled them. I didn't expect to be sleeping in a small rv with mice running all round above me at night and have mouse traps going off waking me up. I couldn't sleep. So I left. Anyway, I haven't been able to leave feedback now. I believe workaway has blocked me from leaving feedback. They don't charge hosts for their accounts. They need them. They charge workawayers because they're a dime a dozen. So, don't believe the feedback as my experience tells me it's manipulated. Also, it's easy for hosts to manipulate workawayers by threatening to leave them bad feedback, whether subtly or overtly. My host daily teased about it. I was 2 hours from a hospital with spotty cell service and they were gone a lot. There was no car for workawayers who might come from far away. If you had an emergency, such as a rattlesnake bite, good luck. Hospital bill would be outrageous and you can bet no one either the host or workaway would help you one bit. It's also illegal in the U.S. to volunteer/work exchange this way. You are the only one who will be in trouble though. Please rethink this, too much potential for abuse. All the stories of amazing experiences are possibly not the complete picture whatsoever.
Reply 21
Workaway did eventually post my feedback but it took me 3 or 4 emails to get them to accept it. I like helpx.
where are you located?

Original post by elmacri
hello,
i am a host for workaway.info and have found it very rewarding. I have had the same people come back again too so i must be doing something right.lol basically i provide a home and food in return for 5 hours work a day for 5 days a week but if people want to change the hours we are very flexible, we expect people to help muck in with general chores around the house as well. we ask for help with animals, building, general repair and gardening, hope thos helps a little. i find that there are too little hosts around for the people wanting to take the places. good luck with your search and i really hope you take it up, both you and the host family will gain from it. xx:smile:
where are you located?

Emanuel
As a host on the workaway network, and also part of a group of like minded hosts, I would say to anyone considering using the workaway system, just go for it!! If something like this had been available when I was younger I would have jumped at the opportunity.
Yes there are hosts out there who are only interested in getting a lot of labour done for very little. However there are many more hosts who embrace the concept of the workaway. It is not just having someone in the house who does 'some work' it is having someone in the house who can share their experiences and we can share ours, more of a cultural exchange than a simple work for food n bed. I agree with the comments above regarding preliminary research before agreeing to stay with a host - ask them what will be required. As for not answering enquiries, we ALWAYS respond. We treat our workaways with respect, not as someone above described as 'skivvies'. At the end of the day, check out what is required and what is given...It is that simple.
Reply 25
Hi,
I have been looking at workaway volunteering too - where are you hosting?
It seems so cool!

Cheers xxx
Original post by elmacri
hello,
i am a host for workaway.info and have found it very rewarding. I have had the same people come back again too so i must be doing something right.lol basically i provide a home and food in return for 5 hours work a day for 5 days a week but if people want to change the hours we are very flexible, we expect people to help muck in with general chores around the house as well. we ask for help with animals, building, general repair and gardening, hope thos helps a little. i find that there are too little hosts around for the people wanting to take the places. good luck with your search and i really hope you take it up, both you and the host family will gain from it. xx:smile:
Reply 26
Where is it that you host? I would love to try work away!

Original post by Marcusash
As a host on the workaway network, and also part of a group of like minded hosts, I would say to anyone considering using the workaway system, just go for it!! If something like this had been available when I was younger I would have jumped at the opportunity.
Yes there are hosts out there who are only interested in getting a lot of labour done for very little. However there are many more hosts who embrace the concept of the workaway. It is not just having someone in the house who does 'some work' it is having someone in the house who can share their experiences and we can share ours, more of a cultural exchange than a simple work for food n bed. I agree with the comments above regarding preliminary research before agreeing to stay with a host - ask them what will be required. As for not answering enquiries, we ALWAYS respond. We treat our workaways with respect, not as someone above described as 'skivvies'. At the end of the day, check out what is required and what is given...It is that simple.
Original post by AishaAl
Where is it that you host? I would love to try work away!

We are in the South of France. Just South of the medieval city of Carcassonne.
Reply 28
Original post by Marcusash
We are in the South of France. Just South of the medieval city of Carcassonne.

I visited Carcassonne once and loved it! What kind of volunteering would you require, as I would really like to participate?
Reply 29
Agreed with you
I've been a workaway host for four years now and judging by my reviews, most people I host love it...and that's our goal, because happy guests generally means happy hosts...why would we want to share our home with people who are clearly having a terrible time? If you want to do your best to get a good place, I concur with what's been said above, but I would also emphasise the following:Read the profile carefully - is there much information? If not, ask the host once they have replied to you.If you can, talk to the host by Skype or FaceTime - they can interview you and vice versaREVIEWS, REVIEWS, REVIEWS!!! New hosts won't have any, but experienced hosts should...what do they say? If you're really keen, make a host account so you can contact people they've hosted (I've paid for a workaway account in the past so I can contact hosts!)Make a good profile for yourself, listing your skills with relevant photos (it's nice that you've gone skiing or been out with your friends, but generally doesn't speak to your skill set; pics of you doing carpentry or painting do)Write personalised emails to hosts, check their calendars before sending and don't be afraid to politely nudge them if you receive no reply.Make your requests 4-6 weeks in advance (at least, that works for me). Don't be surprised if you apply in July for August and get no response. The fantastic host you have selected is getting dozens of emails and week and can't keep up!Finally if you do a workaway, make sure you get a good reference.they count for a lot with hosts.Good luck!
(edited 6 years ago)
Hi Elmacri

After reading your message, I find this enlightening. I am a accommodation manager working for Berlitz College in Manchester and we have many students looking to stay with a family like your good self. We offer the students volunteer work placement whereby the student lives in the family home and work 15 to 20 hours per week. We have some new arrivals in January and I'm wondering if you would be interested in supporting this? contact number 0161 288 3607 regardsSuzie
(edited 6 years ago)
It seems like those who have been able to find a gig are pretty happy. I applied to several hosts posting they needed help and only one got back to me within a week. Another after I specifically asked him to let me know. That was after I noticed he had been online but didn't bother to respond. Still have yet to hear back from the other and it's been weeks. I haven't given up on it completely, but for this last trip, it was worthless.
Reply 33
I did. My first experience, last year, was very good. The hosts I contacted wrote me back and I could chose and had a very nice three weeks.
In october last year I wanted to go to Italy and contacted 10 hosts; only one bothered to write me back. Also after two nice emails in which I explained how important it is for a volunteer to get an answer back. it's like you apply for a job: you make a good profile, with pictures and you send a personal email in which you tell your host how and when you can be of use for them. So I don't think it's an excuse: we get so many emails form volunteers. Be glad, but write back.
One host in Italy contacted me herself, to ask if I could work for her. I did and replied how and when. She didn't write me back after that! Not after two more mails from me!
This year looks to be the same: I wrote six hosts in France and nobody wrote me back so far....
I contacted Workaway about this, but they told me they cannot do anything about it....
I stay optimistic but it's frustrating!
Me and my wife did workaway to avoid to be homeless. We were lucky, and miss it. It was a great experience as we went to a wedding venue in Georgia.I guess if you do your research first and see what other people say about the place it is great.

http://itsacharminglife.com/index.php/2018/05/23/springtime-in-the-blue-ridge-mountains/
(edited 5 years ago)
Hello there, yes. I would say please do not support this organisation who is set up as a charity but it is a business. I paid money and then for no reason was locked out of the account. When I posted it on facebook they blocked me. I know of others who have had terrrible experiences with hosts. If you report a host to them they immediately lock your account. so do not believe all that they write to make you think that they give a ****. I think you can have good experiences but there are just as many bad experiences and they are not reported or publicly not known. A lot of the time one is used literally just for free work and there really is no interest by the host to teach you or exchange anything, it is often in the west, families who are too miserly to pay workers, or those who are genuine and do not have the money , fair eough but this is rarely the case and in fact in germanY I heard this kind of work is in fact illegal. So the idea that it should be for travellers when there are families, hosts that use workaways for years on end, so you can build their dreams for free, or say childcare, avoid having to pay for it is not really what it is about. Some hosts are downright dishonourable. Also you pay to get there and they can just change their midn at a drop of a hat and then what. I think the old fashioned woofing, which originated from australia is okay but they kept my money and I still had 6 months, and refuse to tell me why.
Original post by ibizasunrise
Hello there, yes. I would say please do not support this organisation who is set up as a charity but it is a business. I paid money and then for no reason was locked out of the account. When I posted it on facebook they blocked me. I know of others who have had terrrible experiences with hosts. If you report a host to them they immediately lock your account. so do not believe all that they write to make you think that they give a ****. I think you can have good experiences but there are just as many bad experiences and they are not reported or publicly not known. A lot of the time one is used literally just for free work and there really is no interest by the host to teach you or exchange anything, it is often in the west, families who are too miserly to pay workers, or those who are genuine and do not have the money , fair eough but this is rarely the case and in fact in germanY I heard this kind of work is in fact illegal. So the idea that it should be for travellers when there are families, hosts that use workaways for years on end, so you can build their dreams for free, or say childcare, avoid having to pay for it is not really what it is about. Some hosts are downright dishonourable. Also you pay to get there and they can just change their midn at a drop of a hat and then what. I think the old fashioned woofing, which originated from australia is okay but they kept my money and I still had 6 months, and refuse to tell me why.
It is a SCAM
Would it be taboo to ask to see pictures of the accommodations before hand?
I wanna go to Panama
yes, do not use them, they are crooks. plenty bad hosts, have had hosts steal from me, be abusive and they do nothing and sometimes the account has not worked and they have not refunded. it is promoting GLOBAL COMMUNISM. WORKING FOR FREE.

Quick Reply

Latest