The Student Room Group

anyone studying in EBS?

I heard EBS get the best placement(and the same for WHU)
wanna confirm this

how about mannheim?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
EBS in Germany has a much better reputation than EBS in London. What is WHU? :P
Mannheim and LMU have the best reputation.
However, St. Gallen > all in the German realm.
Reply 2
Studying in Mannheim myself, I know from recruitment events of BB's that Mannheim and WHU are the main target universities for Investment Banks.

EBS used to be decent but their reputation has suffered in the past and the selection of applicants has become a joke so now its mainly the playground of some spoiled rich kids, who didnt manage to get into WHU (I dont know anyone who had double offers and preferred EBS over WHU).

Personally, I preferred Mannheim as it is atleast on par with WHU in terms of opportunities and while Mannheim is not the most awesome city to live in, it is still much better than living in a village like Vallendar (only 20% girls studying there!) so you get to enjoy a decent student life with nice student towns such as Heidelberg nearby. Beside that you can also save a nice ammount of money due to the cheap tutution fee.

About St. Gallen: it is definitly among the best Universities in Germany/Switzerland (with Mannheim, WHU, LMU, Goetheuni/Frankfurt) but nowdays I wouldn't say it is the number one anymore as they used to be better in the past then they are now.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by mxp804

Original post by mxp804
EBS in Germany has a much better reputation than EBS in London. What is WHU? :P
Mannheim and LMU have the best reputation.
However, St. Gallen > all in the German realm.

thx for your information!

well, r u studying in london? which school do u study?
yes, ebs/whu/mannheim are the 3 schools that are mainly targeted by investment banks in germany....would say about 75% of the analyst classes for fo roles in Frankfurt come from those 3! ....decent grades & cv from one of those will get u ur interviews for fo! after that its (as always up to u)!
Do these universities place well in London?
No offense, but working in IB in Germany is boring. London, New York, Hong Kong...
Reply 6
Ive been accepted in EBS for Master in Finance....what do you guys think about it ? what are the chances fpr getting job out of there ?
Reply 7
Original post by Bacano
About St. Gallen: it is definitly among the best Universities in Germany/Switzerland (with Mannheim, WHU, LMU, Goetheuni/Frankfurt) but nowdays I wouldn't say it is the number one anymore as they used to be better in the past then they are now.

Obviously the difference between all the top schools in the German speaking countries is small, but how did St. Gallen's reputation suffer in the past? Given the fact that German schools got a ****load of trouble with the transition from the old diploma system to Bologna, there is no reason to believe that St. Gallen has anything but strengthened.
Reply 8
I heard that most of bankers of Frankfurt are from EBS.
Reply 9
Original post by oromoyo
I heard that most of bankers of Frankfurt are from EBS.

You heared wrong.
Reply 10
Original post by KLL
You heared wrong.

I heard this from a banker of Frankfurt. You are?
Reply 11
Original post by oromoyo
I heard this from a banker of Frankfurt. You are?

Also working in Frankfurt. EBS doesn't even produce enough graduates to field "most bankers". Its simple maths.
Reply 12
Original post by KLL
Also working in Frankfurt. EBS doesn't even produce enough graduates to field "most bankers". Its simple maths.

Ok then You're right :wink:

I guess than grades are more important than the reputation of the school in Germany, right?
Reply 13
Original post by oromoyo
Ok then You're right :wink:

I guess than grades are more important than the reputation of the school in Germany, right?

Work experience is king. I've seen people from not so great unis with not so great grades get into IB because they got the right kind of and a great amount of work experience.
Networking is also important. Many places will recruit from their networks. Thats how places like EBS place many grads eventho they're not that well regarded.
But yes, reputation doesn't count for much. The place I work doesn't have 2 people coming from the same uni (and nobody from EBS).
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by KLL
Work experience is king. I've seen people from not so great unis with not so great grades get into IB because they got the right kind of and a great amount of work experience.
Networking is also important. Many places will recruit from their networks. Thats how places like EBS place many grads eventho they're not that well regarded.
But yes, reputation doesn't count for much. The place I work doesn't have 2 people coming from the same uni (and nobody from EBS).

Ok thanks, I imagine than German is a compulsory to work in Frankfurt or not? Is there other "financial" city?
Reply 15
Original post by oromoyo
Ok thanks, I imagine than German is a compulsory to work in Frankfurt or not? Is there other "financial" city?

Theres IB/PE/VC in Frankfurt, Munich, Dusseldorf and Hamburg mainly. Also some in Berlin. On the IB side, the majority is in Frankfurt with some big banks having offices in Dusseldorf or Munich rather than Frankfurt. Hamburg you're more likely to find IB arms of private banks and small boutiques. PE and VC Munich and Frankfurt make up the bulk, with Munich probably takign the lead in VC.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by KLL
Theres IB/PE/VC in Frankfurt, Munich, Dusseldorf and Hamburg mainly. Also some in Berlin. On the IB side, the majority is in Frankfurt with some big banks having offices in Dusseldorf or Munich rather than Frankfurt. Hamburg you're more likely to find IB arms of private banks and small boutiques. PE and VC Munich and Frankfurt make up the bulk, with Munich probably takign the lead in VC.

And concerning the sector of the real estate IB? Do you know it?
Reply 17
Original post by oromoyo
And concerning the sector of the real estate IB? Do you know it?

No clue. I know that the large real estate firms and asset managers are pretty much allover the place.
Reply 18
Original post by KLL
No clue. I know that the large real estate firms and asset managers are pretty much allover the place.

ok thanks dude!
Reply 19
Just one thing : What is the minimum grade to have to break into IB (M&A/ECM/DCM) in Germany for a EBS student?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending