The Student Room Group

Please help!

OK, I'm kinda new to TSR. Basically I've got some GCSE exams on the first week of March; it's half term, so I can revise... but before that please answer my questions?

How do I revise? :smile:

How to get an A*

My exams are:
Physics (P1A AND P1B)
Biology (B1B- RESIT)
Maths (MODULE 1- STATISTICS AND NUMBERS, HIGHER!)

I use 'Logon science' for science already, any other way? And I suck at maths!

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Exam Boards are Edexcel for sciences, and AQA for maths.
(edited 13 years ago)
Understand the concepts you need to learn in Science and use past papers to see your weak points. You can't have a lot of weak points if you want an A*. It's also proven that revising using past papers is more efficient because your brain remembers it more clearly or something. Same for maths... Use past papers and if you have it, the MathsWatch CD. That will be your best friend if you want your A* in Maths. Good luck! :smile:
Reply 2
Thank you, Your answer was very friendly. Umm... One more question, MathsWatchCD- is it free? If so where can I obtain it?

Thanks again!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by CupcakeTheif
OK, I'm kinda new to TSR. Basically I've got some GCSE exams on the first week of March; it's half term, so I can revise... but before that please answer my questions?

How do I revise? :smile:

How to get an A*

My exams are:
Physics (P1A AND P1B)
Biology (B1B- RESIT)
Maths (MODULE 1- STATISTICS AND NUMBERS, HIGHER!)

I use 'Logon science' for science already, any other way? And I suck at maths!

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Exam Boards are Edexcel for sciences, and AQA for maths.

I'm afraid I can't help you with the science, but I can with the maths.
This website: www.examsolutions.co.uk has got me throught the first half of my A level maths. It is a website filled with video tutorials that take you through the main topics. Any past paper questions are usually edexcel, but if you know what topics are gonna be on your exam this shouldn't be a problem. As it's maths it's all fairly standard anyway. I would definetely have a look at the topic tutorials though, the website guy is a genius, he often explains things better than my teachers. :biggrin:
Good luck with your revision
Reply 4
Dude, this guy is way better then my teacher, thank you so very much!
Maths teacher(s) suck bad, MY ONE IS JUST RIDICULOUS!!!:angry:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5
Thank you two, TBH I though most people on this board were selfish, impulsive; :smile:
Thank you again!
and again...
and again...
:wink:
Reply 6
BBC bitesize is great for core science p1b etc, but not so good at maths. If you have a login for MyMaths.co.uk thats really good but you might have to steal someones password and username from here
Reply 7
Original post by Plankey
BBC bitesize is great for core science p1b etc, but not so good at maths. If you have a login for MyMaths.co.uk thats really good but you might have to steal someones password and username from here

Yeah I use Bitesize, it's good for science...
And yes I do have MyMaths; and I really, really hate it!

Thanks anyway!
Original post by CupcakeTheif
Thank you, Your answer was very friendly. Umm... One more question, MathsWatchCD- is it free? If so where can I obtain it?

Thanks again!

You can obtain the CD from your school. They normally sell it for £1-3 (Varies for each school) but I think they only supply it to Year 11s. Not entirely sure on that.

It's the half term, so you can't really ask the school right now so I found a website where you can download it off from (I did this before I had the CD but from a different site... but I'm fairly sure it's safe): http://cineclubecovilha.com/torrent/torrent/MathsWatch-Higher-GCSE-Maths-Tutorials/297201/0.html

Just click the 'Download' picture on the right (top one) and download the file in a bittorent. Afterwards just unzip the file elsewhere :smile: But it's better to get the proper CD, because they have worksheets and you can get your teacher to mark them (or ask for the password for the answers since it doesn't come with it :/)
use past papers and make sure you get 100% again and again
read through your specification again and again
work on you weak spots over 1/2 term
work on your exam technique e.g pratise doing the exam at home/library in time conditions
oh and READ the question properly. dont rush, keep calm and good luck
Reply 10
Original post by InadequateJusticex
You can obtain the CD from your school. They normally sell it for £1-3 (Varies for each school) but I think they only supply it to Year 11s. Not entirely sure on that.

It's the half term, so you can't really ask the school right now so I found a website where you can download it off from (I did this before I had the CD but from a different site... but I'm fairly sure it's safe): http://cineclubecovilha.com/torrent/torrent/MathsWatch-Higher-GCSE-Maths-Tutorials/297201/0.html

Just click the 'Download' picture on the right (top one) and download the file in a bittorent. Afterwards just unzip the file elsewhere :smile: But it's better to get the proper CD, because they have worksheets and you can get your teacher to mark them (or ask for the password for the answers since it doesn't come with it :/)

Thanks, their are also many seeders on this one; thank you very, very much :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by The Polar Dude
use past papers and make sure you get 100% again and again
read through your specification again and again
work on you weak spots over 1/2 term
work on your exam technique e.g pratise doing the exam at home/library in time conditions
oh and READ the question properly. dont rush, keep calm and good luck

Good advice, especially about the specifications. Thanks
:smile:
The statistics module for maths is extremely easy!

Just keep revising and make sure you understand the basics.

Very easy to get 100%. :smile:
Reply 13
Hey
Just re-write your notes into smaller ones, and highlight the key info from them, and focus on the exams that come first and remember to do past exam papers !
good luck x :smile:
CGP books for Edexcel 360. Everything that comes up in the 1As and 1Bs are all in there (though you might have to read very closely) - and past papers ofc.

Quick Reply

Latest