The Student Room Group

What is your favourite equation? (From any subject)

I knew if I asked this to my friends they would disown me so I thought I would ask it here! What is your favourite equation(s)?

It can be from absolutely anything; maths, physics, chemistry, biology etc...

Personally my favourite at the moment is the Dirac equation. I don't understand it but from what I've read, it predicted the existance of the anit-electron and describes every electron in the universe! Pretty cool :cool:

Scroll to see replies

wikipedia search - the black scholes equation.... I'm about to start trying to prove this and see if it works lol :P
Reply 2
The Schrodinger equation!
Reply 3
inb4
N=(m/M)Na

Helped me so much with questions regarding masses and atoms, we never got given it in physics too.
Reply 5
I'm not even sure if this counts as a equation, but I love English so I would say the PEE rule (Point, Evidence, Explain). Yo cant go wrong with it
Reply 6
Original post by misterb123
wikipedia search - the black scholes equation.... I'm about to start trying to prove this and see if it works lol :P

my fav. eq. :smile:
Original post by kingkhan

my fav. eq. :smile:

Haha you can help me out when I get stuck, When I start it at some point tommorow :biggrin:
Reply 8
The Navier-Stokes Equations.

'Waves follow our boat as we meander across the lake, and turbulent air currents follow our flight in a modern jet. Mathematicians and physicists believe that an explanation for and the prediction of both the breeze and the turbulence can be found through an understanding of solutions to the Navier-Stokes equations. Although these equations were written down in the 19th Century, our understanding of them remains minimal. The challenge is to make substantial progress toward a mathematical theory which will unlock the secrets hidden in the Navier-Stokes equations. '

From http://www.claymath.org/millennium/Navier-Stokes_Equations/
(edited 12 years ago)
s = ut + 1/2 at^2

I just think it sounds so nice... like a poem.
Reply 10
Any of the Maxwell equations.
(y=mx+c) I remember the torture of drawing line graphs...
speed=distance/time. No tricky business -any question involving this is intuitively solveable :biggrin:
a^2 + b^2 = c^2

:h:
Reply 14
I really like Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle equation. Not just aesthetically but for what it represents. It completely destroys the belief that we can know everything.

Now to attempt to use Latex after so long...

ΔρΔx2 \Delta \rho \Delta x \geq \frac{\hbar}{2}
Reply 15
I like stuff like A=12absinCA = \frac{1}{2}ab \sin C and cos(a+b)=cosacosbsinasinb\cos{(a+b)} = \cos{a}\cos{b} - \sin{a}\sin{b}. Mainly because it means I don't have to do any geometry/pissing round with angles and drawings because the result's already there in front of me.
\Delta x \Delta p \approx h

OMG Someone else has posted it already :frown:
E(Δp)22m+k(Δq)22    ()E \geq \frac{(\Delta p)^2}{2m}+\frac{k(\Delta q)^2}{2} ~ ~ ~ ~ (*)
(edited 12 years ago)
tanλ=μ\tan \lambda = \mu, where λ\lambda and μ\mu are the angle and coefficient of static friction respectively.
x=i=0(logx)ii!x = \displaystyle \sum_{i=0}^\infty \dfrac{(\log x)^i}{i!}

I just like the idea that any number can be expressed as an infinite sum of its natural log.

THE POISSON FORMULA = The best formula ever!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending