The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2380
I know a mathematician who got an A in Maths.

Also, there are many many threads about this. OP's question boils down to "Are GCSEs important?" which I'm sure has been dealt with. If OP wants specific advice about grades, go to the "All questions about grades!" thread.
123banana123
Yes before I begin I am VERY sorry that you all must suffer another paranoid teenager worrying about Cambridge and GCSE grades...

Anyway, I shall commence!

Would you say that how tolerant the admissions tutors are of poor GCSEs is proportionate to how competitive the course is?

For instance, is it easier to get into something less competitive, such as ASNAC, than to get into something like PPS with poor GCSEs (e.g. less than 5A*).

P.s. sorry to annoy everyone sick to death of these threads! I am VERY sorry. :p:

they go for students who get straight A* mainly if u cant get them maybe Cambridge isnt for u mate. Sorry.
Priority
they go for students who get straight A* mainly if u cant get them maybe Cambridge isnt for u mate. Sorry.

Although it'll look a lot better if you have straight A*s than if you don't, plenty of people get in each year with much less. So I'd say it's worth a shot.
123banana123
Yes before I begin I am VERY sorry that you all must suffer another paranoid teenager worrying about Cambridge and GCSE grades...

Anyway, I shall commence!

Would you say that how tolerant the admissions tutors are of poor GCSEs is proportionate to how competitive the course is?

For instance, is it easier to get into something less competitive, such as ASNAC, than to get into something like PPS with poor GCSEs (e.g. less than 5A*).

P.s. sorry to annoy everyone sick to death of these threads! I am VERY sorry. :p:

I have a friend who got 1A* at GCSE 6 As and 2 Bs and a C who got interviewed to english lit at cambridge.

this is because she got 95% ish in all modules in eng lit, classics, eng history and film studies and was predicted 4 A*s at a level. her old school was an average comprehensive, where few people got lots of A*s.

I also know someone with 5A*s rest As at GCSE. AAAB physics, maths, history and chem (b in chem) get an interview for chem enginneering. she got a B in the subject most prevealant to ehr course choice.

basically, what i'm trying to say is stop worrying. and AS levels are much more important. If you get 90% ish in most modules then go for camrbidge. and if rekcon you can get at least 1 A* at A2 level.
Jonty99
Although it'll look a lot better if you have straight A*s than if you don't, plenty of people get in each year with much less. So I'd say it's worth a shot.

that's right.
hazzypants
I have a friend who got 1A* at GCSE 6 As and 2 Bs and a C who got interviewed to english lit at cambridge.

this is because she got 95% ish in all modules in eng lit, classics, eng history and film studies and was predicted 4 A*s at a level. her old school was an average comprehensive, where few people got lots of A*s.

I also know someone with 5A*s rest As at GCSE. AAAB physics, maths, history and chem (b in chem) get an interview for chem enginneering. she got a B in the subject most prevealant to ehr course choice.

basically, what i'm trying to say is stop worrying. and AS levels are much more important. If you get 90% ish in most modules then go for camrbidge. and if rekcon you can get at least 1 A* at A2 level.

Cambridge interview 90% of applicants though. You'd have to be REALLY poor not to get an interview for most subjects. After interview they'll still consider grades and everything.

But I agree with your general sentiment. Just apply and see what happens. Sure, 12 A*s looks better than 1 A*, but people will get in with a wide range of GCSE grades, and AS module marks.
I only have 4A* and 6As so if I get an offer I guess it will buck the trend a little bit. My A2s were 96% average tho...
Reply 2387
T-o dore
I only have 4A* and 6As so if I get an offer I guess it will buck the trend a little bit. My A2s were 96% average tho...

Your UMS definitely make up for you 'below average' GCSEs for a Cambridge applicant.

On the open day, one of the main talks referred to why they prefer applicants with high UMS, as opposed to straight A*s. From the talk, it seemed to me as if Cambridge thought that GCSE grades are very dependant on the school, it goes without saying considering they have a point system, and extra points are given to applicants from below average schools. In the same respect, they think more independent work is needed with A-Levels, and it shows true potential. The only reason I deduced this is from the example the woman at the talk gave; she said that someone with straight A*s, but then mediocre AS results shows someone who doesn't have as much potential. Whereas someone with mediocre GCSEs, but then fantastic AS results, shows someone who has more potential.
Noble.
Your UMS definitely make up for you 'below average' GCSEs for a Cambridge applicant.

On the open day, one of the main talks referred to why they prefer applicants with high UMS, as opposed to straight A*s. From the talk, it seemed to me as if Cambridge thought that GCSE grades are very dependant on the school, it goes without saying considering they have a point system, and extra points are given to applicants from below average schools. In the same respect, they think more independent work is needed with A-Levels, and it shows true potential. The only reason I deduced this is from the example the woman at the talk gave; she said that someone with straight A*s, but then mediocre AS results shows someone who doesn't have as much potential. Whereas someone with mediocre GCSEs, but then fantastic AS results, shows someone who has more potential.

I completely agree. I have a friend studying biology in cambridge, and from what she has heard talking to other people studying with her and the tutors, they actually RANK candidates according to their UMS scores initially. Which explains the huge correlation between UMS scores and getting in (google "oxbridge-admissions profiles").

It really makes sense too. GCSEs have little to do with university level study; when again are you going to have to study 9+ subjects at once, in little detail, half of which you hate?
I got an offer for economics having got 5 As, 1 A*, 5Bs and a C at GCSE. AS I got 4 As, all at 95%+ and I'm predicted 2 A*s 1 A (don't even get me started on that). My cousin in 2004 had straight A*s then some huge marks at A level and didn't get in for economics. He was a pretty good rower too. He's now worth £5 million. Unlucky Cambridge if you ask me.

Having said that I don't know if I will go now. I hate to say it on a Cambridge forum, but the university really seems far to up itself.
revisionnightmare
I got an offer for economics having got 5 As, 1 A*, 5Bs and a C at GCSE. AS I got 4 As, all at 95%+ and I'm predicted 2 A*s 1 A (don't even get me started on that). My cousin in 2004 had straight A*s then some huge marks at A level and didn't get in for economics. He was a pretty good rower too. He's now worth £5 million. Unlucky Cambridge if you ask me.

Having said that I don't know if I will go now. I hate to say it on a Cambridge forum, but the university really seems far to up itself.

How could you have an offer so early? :s-smilie:
Where can you find the capped average GCSE scores for your school which is used by Cam?
And also what would you suggest is a reasonable score to realistically benefit your application?
If it helps at all, the school I did my GCSE's at is 'Thomas Bennett Community College'.
Thanks in advance.
anyone..?
I'm not sure about the ratings system.....but do tell us your GCSE results, the pass rate at your school and how you compared to the rest of student population taking GCSEs.

It is my belief that Oxbridge and Durham look at how far your results deviate away from the mean set of results.
My APS was 7.5; I've been told that will be beneficial, but I know in myself that that isn't a particularly 'stand-out-from-the-crowd' result. The mean score at my high school was 5.3 or something like that.
u_dun_noe
I'm not sure about the ratings system.....but do tell us your GCSE results, the pass rate at your school and how you compared to the rest of student population taking GCSEs.

It is my belief that Oxbridge and Durham look at how far your results deviate away from the mean set of results.

yh sure, since the website suggests that the calculation only involves A's and A*'s, i'll just provide those :smile:
I got 3A*'s and 6A's, my schools pass rate is 28% and I got the second highest grades in my year.
2 A* and 2 A. As long as the ratio is ok right.....
Farhan.Hanif93
yh sure, since the website suggests that the calculation only involves A's and A*'s, i'll just provide those :smile:
I got 3A*'s and 6A's, my schools pass rate is 28% and I got the second highest grades in my year.

Sounds good to me Farhan....Cambridge will most definitely take into account the school you went to - and should not hold it against you. You just need to make sure that you get 90+ UMS at AS.

Just out of Curiosity, what subject are you thinking of reading at university?

This is where I got the idea of the system from but the website suggested to hold information about average point scores for each school appears to have calculated the average without capping it. therefore I have no idea how many points to add to my score based purely on my gcses. :s-smilie:

Latest

Trending

Trending