The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
I always wanted to go to Cambridge University (applying for Medicine). Although I am only in year 12, I feel like I won't have a chance when I do apply; I kicked up 5A* for my GCSEs and was very :mad: at myself because the lowest GCSE grades I've seen a person receive at GCSE and get into Medicine at Cambridge (in the last few years) was 7A* . . . I know I have a year to choose my university choices, but I like setting myself realistic goals. If I do pull off AAAA (and get decent UMS marks) do I still have a decent chance of getting in? Do you know of any people got a place with similar GCSEs? (in the last year or 2).

I realise it's a different uni, but I do have a friend at Oxford doing medicine who got 5A*, if that makes you feel any better.

You have to remember they take in other factors; work experience, personal statement, reference, AS grades, predicted grades, BMAT etc.
Reply 782
Witty Username
I realise it's a different uni, but I do have a friend at Oxford doing medicine who got 5A*, if that makes you feel any better.

You have to remember they take in other factors; work experience, personal statement, reference, AS grades, predicted grades, BMAT etc.

When did your friend get accepted? (When did he/she start university)?
Nobody has a decent chance of getting in, statistically.
Reply 784
From what I've heard Oxford is the one that isn't as so academically focused, i.e will look at all the extra curric and stuff. However Cambridge cares more about the academic side and rarely bothers to look at extra stuff etc.

But what were the other GCSE results like, were they all A's??
Also if your wanting medicine try and do as much work experience as possible, this may not matter for Oxbrdige but will help you with other university choices.

Good Luck
:biggrin:
Reply 785
fraternité
Nobody has a decent chance of getting in, statistically.

You know what I mean!

Witty Username:// I <3 Your Username
Reply 786
also, my friends just applying to cambridge and really really get decent AS levels. They ask for your UMS points for all your AS levels
Reply 787
rdu11
From what I've heard Oxford is the one that isn't as so academically focused, i.e will look at all the extra curric and stuff. However Cambridge cares more about the academic side and rarely bothers to look at extra stuff etc.

But what were the other GCSE results like, were they all A's??
Also if your wanting medicine try and do as much work experience as possible, this may not matter for Oxbrdige but will help you with other university choices.

Good Luck
:biggrin:

Thanks and yes, Oxbridge don't care about work experience compared to other universities . . . and yes, I achieved As for the rest of my GCSEs.
AS module results count more than GCSEs anyway, so rock it this year. Also, for medicine, it's all about the experience, so make sure you get plenty.
Reply 789
notepad
I always wanted to go to Cambridge University (applying for Medicine). Although I am only in year 12, I feel like I won't have a chance when I do apply; I kicked up 5A* for my GCSEs and was very :mad: at myself because I the lowest GCSE grades I've seen a person receive at GCSE and get into Medicine at Cambridge (in the last few years) was 7A* . . . I know I have a year to choose my university choices, but I like setting myself realistic goals. If I do pull off AAAA (and get decent UMS marks) do I still have a decent chance of getting in? Do you know of any people got a place with similar GCSEs? (in the last year or 2).

First of all, your GCSE's are great.

Second, they play only a part in the admissions process. If you get all A*'s at AS, that will surpass anything you got at GCSE. Remember, you will be interviewed too, it'll be a chance for your interviewer to see how determined you are and how talented you really are.

Seriously, don't rule Cambridge out just because you got 5A*'s, there good results and they only play a part in the admissions process.
Reply 790
notepad

Thanks and yes, Oxbridge don't care about work experience compared to other universities . . . and yes, I achieved As for the rest of my GCSEs.

Ah ok. Then, yes you should definatley go for it, it's worth a shot as nearly everyone gets an interview.
Reply 791
rdu11
also, my friends just applying to cambridge and really really get decent AS levels. They ask for your UMS points for all your AS levels

I understand. That's one of the reasons why I didn't choose to do more AS levels.
Reply 792
T kay
First of all, your GCSE's are great.

Second, they play only a part in the admissions process. If you get all A*'s at AS, that will surpass anything you got at GCSE. Remember, you will be interviewed too, it'll be a chance for your interviewer to see how determined you are and how talented you really are.

Seriously, don't rule Cambridge out just because you got 5A*'s, there good results and they only play a part in the admissions process.

Thanks for the advice, I think I would do well at uni interviews; I get awfully nervous though :o:
Reply 793
To answer your question: Yes, you are being realistic. All you need is AAAA+, a good personal statement, some medical work experience and your all good to go. :smile:
notepad

When did your friend get accepted? (When did he/she start university)?

She applied in the 2006 cycle and started in september 2007. So she's now a 2nd year.
Reply 795
Witty Username
She applied in the 2006 cycle and started in september 2007. So she's now a 2nd year.

Thanks for the information. I guess I really want to see some examples.
Your GCSEs on your own shouldn't prevent you from getting an interview - Cambridge have a comprehensive application process and from what I have heard AS level module marks, interview, reference, personal statement and relevant work experience are probably more important. Are there any reasons why you didn't achieve the GCSE grades you hoped to? If yes, they might take that into account when considering you for an offer
Reply 797
I'm applying with 5 :smile:
Reply 798
notepad

Thanks for the advice, I think I would do well at uni interviews; I get awfully nervous though :o:

Some mock interviews would help settle that. Plus the things with interviews is not to make them sound robotic, monotone etc. Try and make it out as if your having a conversation about something you really love.
Reply 799
Economist1
Your GCSEs on your own shouldn't prevent you from getting an interview - Cambridge have a comprehensive application process and from what I have heard AS level module marks, interview, reference, personal statement and relevant work experience are probably more important. Are there any reasons why you didn't achieve the GCSE grades you hoped to? If yes, they might take that into account when considering you for an offer

There were a few things going on in my life, but nothing that actually stopped me from studying. I was also just lazy - I didn't revise at all; I regret that now.

Latest

Trending

Trending