Scroll to see replies

Reply 9040
Original post by Archengsculp
hiya yeah I was just thinking about it these few days -

I think on GCSE results day I'll be changing my AS options to either:
Art, Physics, Maths, Geography
or
Art, Physics, Maths, Chemistry

Not further maths because apparently it's not regarded as a 'desirable' subject by some Unis according to my physics teacher who took FM, Maths, Physics and went into Mechanical Engineering but flunked the degree and did physics.

But the problem is that I'm struggling to hit high exam scores for geography.. and there's a lot of stuff to remember for it - case study detail.. but according to 6th formers who took geography in previous years, they've said that Unis are regarding geography to be a science? and that it's not a lot different to GCSE

I'm doing OK in Chemistry compared to Physics.. I feel like I struggle in lessons but do OK in exams

^^Considering Chemistry/Geography for AS

Wait what what what? If you're talking about Engineering; then your teacher doesn't know what he's on about. Maths/Further Maths/Physics <--- THE big three for Maths/Engineering/Physics at the top top Universities. I don't know about Architecture -and if you decide on that, then Further Maths probably won't be that relevant- but for Engineering, PLEASE don't disregard Further Maths because of some bad advice your physics teacher gave you.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by GrantG
His ECs are:

Oz work abroad
Trek America
Charity work
Fundraising
Paralympic reporting
Teaching English in China

...so? :s-smilie: Pretty darn useless unless he can apply them to show passion for his subject. UK universities don't take anywhere near as much interest in ECs compared to their American counterparts.
Reply 9042
Original post by HeyyImRyan
...so? :s-smilie: Pretty darn useless unless he can apply them to show passion for his subject. UK universities don't take anywhere near as much interest in ECs compared to their American counterparts.

So he traveled to Vancouver to report on paralympians, stood in the rain collecting for a dog charity, taught English in a Chinese village, etc for no reason...
Please stop making this up. The grades you posted are so odd that I'd say they were impossible. Doing A level music without the GCSE is not believable. Then, these were your grades, then these were your brother's grades. Your brother achieved A*A*A*a, didn't go to uni, took a gap year, hasn't applied/ gone to uni again, is taking another gap year and plans to apply next year?

Edit: now he's been to Vancouver (which clashes with the time he should have been doing so well in his A levels)?

Is there a question or reason behind these posts or are you just enjoying this?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by GrantG
So he traveled to Vancouver to report on paralympians, stood in the rain collecting for a dog charity, taught English in a Chinese village, etc for no reason...

Well I wouldn't say there was no reason, he did it to raise money for a dog charity, teach Chinese children English and increase public awareness about paralympians... At the end of the day should that not be the main reason for doing them in the first place?
Reply 9045
Original post by Llewellyn
Please stop making this up. The grades you posted are so odd that I'd say they were impossible. Doing A level music without the GCSE is not believable. Then, these were your grades, then these were your brother's grades. Your brother achieved A*A*A*a, didn't go to uni, took a gap year, hasn't applied/ gone to uni again, is taking another gap year and plans to apply next year?

Is there a question or reason behind these posts or are you just enjoying this?

I never said they were my grades.

He is grade 8 rockschool trained.

He has a 2yr gap (family issue).
Original post by GrantG
I never said they were my grades.

Really?
Original post by GrantG
Yes, I worked hard over the 9 week summer holidays by revising via CGP books :smile:

I got all those grades, currently on a GAP teaching English in Cambodia to orphaned giraffes :wink:

No in all seriousness I am on a gap doing odd jobs down under.

I am worried about applying. I am not the stereotypical Cambodian orphaned giraffe teaching toff :P

He is grade 8 rockschool trained.

He has a 2yr gap (family issue).

So there was a family issue that stopped him from going to university or applying... yet he had time to do all of these Extra circulars, some of them abroad...

What is the point of this?
"there is no correlation between GCSE grades and 1st year, second year, or third year results. " - Senior tutor for a college at cambridge.

Another point he made, we do not care about your fourth A level if it is unrelated - if you fail, we will ask why, if the result stands out, we might ask. If it is related, it may be part of your offer.

EDIT: obviously you have to fend off the competition, but you can do that just with your A levels.

And he cared more about grades than extra curricular, its the interview that matters, thats where they ask you abstract questions and you can apply your knowledge, to out perform other applicants
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9048
Original post by Llewellyn
Really?
So there was a family issue that stopped him from going to university or applying... yet he had time to do all of these Extra circulars, some of them abroad...

What is the point of this?

I wrote it in first person because I didn't realise people would look at my grades.

Family issue was a break-up. His living arrangements were messed up and he didn't have a permanent address, etc.
Original post by SParm
Wait what what what? If you're talking about Engineering; then your teacher doesn't know what he's on about. Maths/Further Maths/Physics <--- THE big three for Maths/Engineering/Physics at the top top Universities. I don't know about Architecture -and if you decide on that, then Further Maths probably won't be that relevant- but for Engineering, PLEASE don't disregard Further Maths because of some bad advice your physics teacher gave you.

yeah I suppose >.<

just had a brief look through your profile - I see why you're super keen on maths now! thanks for the advice!
Original post by GrantG
I wrote it in first person because I didn't realise people would look at my grades.

Family issue was a break-up. His living arrangements were messed up and he didn't have a permanent address, etc.

So you posted your grades in the first person because you didn't realise people would look at your grades? Eh?
I am looking at getting 93-95% average across my other 3 subjects but my fourth AS level I just have no interest in and I am looking at a standard A or maybe even a B, will this affect my Cambridge application?
hmmm no idea since im only yr 12, but your average sounds great. i have no idea about my averages or anything... a standard 'a' in a fourth subject sounds pretty good, it depends if you're dropping it... they want As in relevant subjects (science) and they take the top three (arts)... i think!
Original post by deano0417
I am looking at getting 93-95% average across my other 3 subjects but my fourth AS level I just have no interest in and I am looking at a standard A or maybe even a B, will this affect my Cambridge application?

What subject are you applying for and what are the AS levels?
Dropping Physics if you are applying for Classics is different to dropping it and applying for NatSci for example!
My GCSE results were 2a* 6a 2b 1c
My predicted A levels are A* maths A* econ A psychol A further maths

would these be good enough to study maths+econ at oxbridge ?
Original post by jameshewitt
My GCSE results were 2a* 6a 2b 1c
My predicted A levels are A* maths A* econ A psychol A further maths

would these be good enough to study maths+econ at oxbridge ?

The GCSE's are not the strongest and are usually fairly negligible in the grand scheme of things, although due to the high competitiveness of the Cambridge economics course you might be slightly disadvantaged compared to other candidates. You have good A Level predictions, but nearly everyone will have similar ones - providing some sort of feedback with regards to UMS performance would greatly help to judge, as there can be a big difference between two candidates who on paper both have A grades. The subject choice seems appropriate for the course you want to do, so that's fine.

I would say that your application will hinge greatly on the UMS, so providing some examples of that would be useful. Based on the information available though I certainly wouldn't discount you.
Applying for Law and doing History, Psychology, Law and Sociology (dropping)
I know, not exactly respected cept history and semi-psychology but I can't go back now so :biggrin:
Original post by DJMayes
The GCSE's are not the strongest and are usually fairly negligible in the grand scheme of things, although due to the high competitiveness of the Cambridge economics course you might be slightly disadvantaged compared to other candidates. You have good A Level predictions, but nearly everyone will have similar ones - providing some sort of feedback with regards to UMS performance would greatly help to judge, as there can be a big difference between two candidates who on paper both have A grades. The subject choice seems appropriate for the course you want to do, so that's fine.

I would say that your application will hinge greatly on the UMS, so providing some examples of that would be useful. Based on the information available though I certainly wouldn't discount you.

bronze/silver/gold DofE completed, county rower, youngest briton to climb highest mountain in europe (Mt Elbrus), walked across england in 3 days and raised £2.5k for cancer research doing so, great north run in sept raising ~£1.5k, massive amount of experience with public speaking

haha i'm basically listing extracts from my personal statement :wink:
bronze/silver/gold DofE completed, county rower, youngest briton to climb highest mountain in europe (Mt Elbrus), walked across england in 3 days and raised £2.5k for cancer research doing so, great north run in sept raising ~£1.5k, massive amount of experience with public speaking

That's great for you but my questions were what UMS scores you've achieved in any modules taken so far? Extra-curriculars never damage your application but they're fairly irrelevant to Cambridge without sufficient academics to back it up, especially in Economics which is one of the most competitive courses.

Your A*A*AA is fine-GCSEs are a little downside. But be careful in your PS. Cambridge will care very little about any of these things you mentioned compared to academia, and you will be better off if you ensure you put showing that you're passionate about economics and maths at a higher priority than describing these great things you've done.

Latest

Trending

Trending