The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

from the other thread GCSEs aren't important at all. Sometimes they want the A levels subjects at gcse level to be good ie maths an A and english an A

Knowing cambridge they may well want maths and english As at gcse but look on ucas.com and search for your course then look at grade requirements. But remember that the grade requirements will most likely be directed at students who have no job experience and have just left school, so you are unlikely to be grilled from not having GCSEs after the résumé you have
Only if you're too retarded to get A Levels, A BTEC and/or a Degree.

If you have any of the above, GCSE's don't matter unless you're a snobby Essex person that keeps every achievement on a plaque above the fire in the living room.

Peace out, x
Not really, although doing well in GCSE's generally means that you will also do as well in A-Levels
Original post by Debate
My school says not to apply to oxbridge with less than 8 A*s and 2 As which seems to me to be ridiculous. I have one more exam left and have been predicted:

Maths A*
English Language A*
English Literature A*
Art A*
Chemistry A*
Biology A*
History A*
Physics A
Latin A
French A

My school is pretty academic so would only give the best references to 10 A* candidates, could I still get in if I succeed in AS? (History, maths, English lit, economics)

I got into Oxford for Geography with a Science Scholarship, with 7a*s, 1a and 2bs. Your grades are fine.
It is more important to do well at AS - I got 100% in my geography AS as well as some of my History exams.
And have a good personal statement - I know someone with 12a*s at GCSE, 4A*s predicted at A-level and did not get an interview, because they didn't like her personal statement.
To be honest, I have changed university so that I could change course after Oxford, it is not the only university out there.
Original post by oxfordwarwick
I got into Oxford for Geography with a Science Scholarship, with 7a*s, 1a and 2bs. Your grades are fine.
It is more important to do well at AS - I got 100% in my geography AS as well as some of my History exams.
And have a good personal statement - I know someone with 12a*s at GCSE, 4A*s predicted at A-level and did not get an interview, because they didn't like her personal statement.
To be honest, I have changed university so that I could change course after Oxford, it is not the only university out there.

It is very unusual to be deselected on the basis of personal statement. There can be many other factors such as the reference, wrong subject choice, pre-interview tests at Oxford or very low UMS as Cambridge.

It is very common for academic independent schools to advise against application without a certain number of GCSE A*. I think this comes from a mixture of things such as previous experience (few applicants from that school getting in without very high A* counts) and a mistaken belief in the importance of keeping up the "name of the school" by only fielding the highest quality applicants. Few teachers seem to appreciate the differences between highly competitive and less competitive courses, or the ones where pre-interview tests count or the trend at Cambridge towards valuing UMS scores more than GCSE counts. And (before Mr Z says it) they mistake cause and effect, high quality applicants have often high GCSE scores but it is their intellectual ability that gets the the place not the GCSE score.

I think it is true that fewer candidates from highly academic schools (grammar or private) have dodgy GCSE results that from schools who send fewer candidates to Oxbridge. This is because of the culture at academic schools where there is much more emphasis on the importance of A* at GCSE and so high UMS scorers had usually worked hard and got good GCSE results.
Reply 9145
Original post by Amit1207
Hi there, this question might be asked before in different shape or form. Im in the process of doing my Fast track A levels(Maths, Further Maths, Physics). My question is if i able to achieve good grades(i.e A*A*A or A*AA) will that be enough to get in to engineering degree in Cambridge or Imperial( with my 5 years aviation engineering experience in British Army) or do i need gleaming GCSE with that as well. I did my GCSE Equivalent 12 years ago(Im 29 BTW) from India and get crap grades(BBCCC).

Any reply would be appreciated.

Thanks

As a mature student with work experience and having taken A Levels now (so showing experience of more recent scholarship) your GCSEs should pretty much be entirely discarded - it won't matter how good/hardworking you were twelve years ago, they're worried about now. Good luck with your application.
Original post by LineOfView
x

All they really care about is good grades, intelligence and someone who genuinely seems interested in their subject.

Go for it, you can't lose anything by applying.
It might well depend on the subject but I've heard it directly from dons that they don't give a damn about extracurricular stuff unless there's something that really stands out. What they care about is what illusionz said above me -- they want someone they think would be worthwhile to teach.
Reply 9148
Original post by BIG-DAVE
Well, last time I took the bus from Bury St. Edmunds, but I hear driving's pretty useful too.

Driving? In Cambridge? You must be joking! :P
Reply 9149
Original post by LineOfView
Hello people,

First of all, this is my very first post on TSR, so if I do something wrong, bear with me and notify me!

I am a Dutch student who aspires to study at Cambridge University (Natural Sciences). I looked up what Cambridge expects from Dutch applicants, and I found this: 'Applicants from the Netherlands would be expected to achieve an overall score of 8,0 to 8,5 with scores up to 9 in up to three specified subjects.' Currently, I have a 9 in seven subjects, and the rest are all 8. In my eyes, that is a WHOLE lot better than they ask for. I also have an FCE diploma (A) and next year I'll do my CPE (I'm expected to ace that one too). My high school is in the top 5 in the Netherlands, but I don't know if they have ever sent any students to an Ivy League or to Oxbridge, we have a lot of incredibly gifted students, however, most of them go to Dutch universities, as they aren't bad at all (TU Delft is endorsed by our school, most of you probably haven't heard of it).

My question is, what does Cambridge look at? My grades are good enough, but that can't be the only thing. I heard that Cambridge doesn't look at extracurriculars. Is that true? What DO they look at?

Quite clearly, you seem to have the grades required. However, grades and academic achievements in general aren't everything.
You also need to take into account the passion for your subject and the ability to think critically. These two characteristics are crucial for a successful application at Oxbridge, since (i) you wouldn't probably survive the course if you don't love your subject (because of the really hard work), and (ii) being able to assert the validity and soundness of arguments is essential to (academic) success.

For these reasons, do take extra care of how you write your personal statement and make sure to stand out in order to be invited to the interview.
Interviews compose - say - about 65% of your application: if you have good grades, a good personal statement (along with a good reference), but perform very poorly at the interview, then you basically have no chances left. So be prepared, do some practice and be ready to wrestle questions like: 'How do you know you're in Cambridge?'.

Last but not least, a bit of luck is always welcomed!

Best.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by alphil
do some practice and be ready to wrestle questions like: 'How do you know you're in Cambridge?'

I was interviewed by two colleges and didn't have a single question which wasn't maths/chemistry/physics problem solving. The obscure questions seems to largely be a myth.
Reply 9151
Original post by illusionz
I was interviewed by two colleges and didn't have a single question which wasn't maths/chemistry/physics problem solving. The obscure questions seems to largely be a myth.

Well, your case might have been slightly different, but there can be cases in which they do ask those questions. A friend of mine who applied for medicine was asked: 'Here is a bottle of water. Talk about this bottle for five minutes'.
I myself was asked: 'How do you know that you're in Cambridge?' and 'How do we perceive objects?'.

These are tough questions that may need practice. It would be insensible to waste such a opportunity (of getting into Cambridge) because you weren't prepared enough.

Ps- I applied for Philosophy and got an offer.
Original post by alphil
Ps- I applied for Philosophy and got an offer.

There's the difference. 'How do we percieve objects?' is a philosophical question and you would be a fool not to expect something like that for a philosophy interview. For a natural sciences interview I have not met anyone who was asked anything not directly related to problem solving. The physical sciences admissions only really care about maths/physics/chemistry ability.

Besides, the entire point of an obscure question is that it's something the candidate could not have prepared an answer for, instead of the far too common 'Why do you want to study X' or 'Why do you want to go to university Y?'
(edited 11 years ago)
could i apply with my grades?
GCSE: 8a*'s ,6a's, and 4b's (not including btec or equivilant i have 7a*,2a and b)
AS: (UMS out of 300) maths-273, f.maths-272, physics-271, biology-252 and chemiistry-241, ICT ocr natiionals level 3-pass (pass in this is equivilant to an E at a2 :s-smilie:)
dropped bio and retaking chem unit 1 as i got 53/90 ums (d grade), luckilly i got very high scores in unit 2 and 3 as im usually quite good at chemistry compared with my other subjects.
People who have got in from my school in previous years have had at least 280 in their as ums scores...
My teachers are okay(ish) to predict 4 A*s for me, and i wish to study maths. (i know offers are based on other things like step and ps etc, but do i actually stand a chance with these grades..)
Original post by harryclennell
GCSE: 8a*'s ,6a's, and 4b's (not including btec or equivilant i have 7a*,2a and b)
AS: (UMS out of 300) maths-273, f.maths-272, physics-271, biology-252 and chemiistry-241, ICT ocr natiionals level 3-pass (pass in this is equivilant to an E at a2 :s-smilie:)
dropped bio and retaking chem unit 1 as i got 53/90 ums (d grade), luckilly i got very high scores in unit 2 and 3 as im usually quite good at chemistry compared with my other subjects.
People who have got in from my school in previous years have had at least 280 in their as ums scores...
My teachers are okay(ish) to predict 4 A*s for me, and i wish to study maths. (i know offers are based on other things like step and ps etc, but do i actually stand a chance with these grades..)

Yes, definitely apply. You'll hopefully get an interview and then it's all down to you:biggrin:
Original post by oxfordwarwick

What is an 'AS' ?
Original post by harryclennell

For Maths, the UMS Cambridge are interested in are the UMS for Maths, Further Maths and Physics, your three most relevant subjects. Biology and Chemistry UMS will not be used when calculating averages and they're not exactly low anyway. You should check how these compare against your schools averages as well; as the UMS relative to your schools average performance is arguably as important as the objective UMS score itself. Your UMS distribution across Maths modules is also important - Cambridge require access to each individual modular score and will take note where you lost the marks - if you got a high score in core modules, but were offset by relatively poor performance in applied; for example, then Cambridge would be able to see this and act accordingly.

You've got a 90% average across your three most relevant subjects, which is certainly enough to be considered - however, there will be people with higher UMS, so you'll need to ensure you have a good interview.
Reply 9157
Original post by illusionz
There's the difference. 'How do we percieve objects?' is a philosophical question and you would be a fool not to expect something like that for a philosophy interview. For a natural sciences interview I have not met anyone who was asked anything not directly related to problem solving. The physical sciences especially only really care about maths/physics/chemistry ability.

Besides, the entire point of an obscure question is that it's something the candidate could not have prepared an answer for, instead of the far too common 'Why do you want to study X' or 'Why do you want to go to university Y?'

I partly agree with your second point - namely, 'the entire point of an obscure question' - but i strongly disagree with your first part.

(Physical) sciences - if i'm correct - are about how the world empirically is and how and why things happen. Since these questions reveal highly problematic aspects, it would be foolish to think that problem-solving skills and critical thinking aren't necessary in order to answer them correctly. If such a (wrong) belief is to be had, then i think that there is a deep misunderstanding of what science is, of its objectives and, more importantly, of its methodology.
Original post by DJMayes
For Maths, the UMS Cambridge are interested in are the UMS for Maths, Further Maths and Physics, your three most relevant subjects. Biology and Chemistry UMS will not be used when calculating averages and they're not exactly low anyway. You should check how these compare against your schools averages as well; as the UMS relative to your schools average performance is arguably as important as the objective UMS score itself. Your UMS distribution across Maths modules is also important - Cambridge require access to each individual modular score and will take note where you lost the marks - if you got a high score in core modules, but were offset by relatively poor performance in applied; for example, then Cambridge would be able to see this and act accordingly.

You've got a 90% average across your three most relevant subjects, which is certainly enough to be considered - however, there will be people with higher UMS, so you'll need to ensure you have a good interview.

Thank you so much thats been so helpful! I know most who apply there have better ums so I'm quite worried. Just wondering how do you know they don't use biology and chemistry ums?
And do you know the ratio of applicants to offers, and also offers per place for cambridge maths because I am struggling to find them anywhere?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9159
Original post by alphil
I partly agree with your second point - namely, 'the entire point of an obscure question' - but i strongly disagree with your first part.

(Physical) sciences - if i'm correct - are about how the world empirically is and how and why things happen. Since these questions reveal highly problematic aspects, it would be foolish to think that problem-solving skills and critical thinking aren't necessary in order to answer them correctly. If such a (wrong) belief is to be had, then i think that there is a deep misunderstanding of what science is, of its objectives and, more importantly, of its methodology.

I read the second paragraph three times. I have no idea what it means, or what you're meant to be disagreeing with.

Latest

Trending

Trending