The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1380
kayn
(i didnt sit my module 9/10 exam lol walked out cba)

Are you sure uni's for you then?

To be honest the C in Maths won't be too much of a problem as long as you're not applying for a mathematical course (that includes sciences, economics, that sort of thing). Otherwise, you'll need to get a high grade in AS Maths to show them that the GCSE doesn't reflect your ability.
Reply 1381
SouthernFreerider
honestly, cambridge will find it really easy to cross you off their list with a C in GCSE maths. however, i know people with Cs at GCSE with oxbridge offers, so its just a case of having a super good application elsewhere too, but dont think the C will do you any favours.

nevertheless, cambridge also dont really want people who "cba" with their exams. its fecking arrogant to walk out like that and wont do you any favours in life... sort it out.

no offence but its not arrogant its just wtf they were GCSE's they didnt even bother me , do they bother anyone?? there are people at my sixth form who thought they were the end of the world or something if you didnt do well. there are people with like 10 A* at gcse , who now we are getting to some difficulty arnt doing so well and im gettin straight A's so i dunno....
To be honest if you're applying for a mathematical course at a good university you should be able to do the GCSE exam in your sleep / in a quarter of the allowed time.

Just make sure you do get the A* in AS or dont apply to a mathematical course.
Reply 1383
kayn
no offence but its not arrogant its just wtf they were GCSE's they didnt even bother me , do they bother anyone?? there are people at my sixth form who thought they were the end of the world or something if you didnt do well. there are people with like 10 A* at gcse , who now we are getting to some difficulty arnt doing so well and im gettin straight A's so i dunno....

everyone has to do gcses so what's the point of walking out because "i couldn't be bothered". everyone goes through the same thing, so i don't see why you would decide to pass iy down and not try hard. if you're good at something, flaunt it and prosper as a result.

have to admit it is pretty arrogant to walk out of an exam. you're not doing yourself any service and tempting fate too - if you screw up your A-level then they definitely won't pick you.

being all 'cba' is not the attitude oxbridge want.
Reply 1384
SouthernFreerider
honestly, cambridge will find it really easy to cross you off their list with a C in GCSE maths.

This, unless you're applying for an arts subject (apart from economics), but even then I think it still might apply.

Ultimately at university you'll be taking exams, don't forget that.
kayn

why the hell are you wanting to apply for oxbridge if you couldnt be assed to sit a few hours of maths gcse exams?

gcses arent the end of the world, and fine, who cares, but it just shows a real lack of maturity to walk out of an exam. dont revise or dont do homework in term time if you really dont care about it. but what else did you use that few hours doing instead of sitting the rest of your gcse? it shows a lack of social intelligence. sure, in 20 years time the C won't matter, but the fact of it is, for unis, gcses do matter. they arent the most important factor, but for the sake of a few hours exams, there are sure worth at least doing...

the rest of your post is a little revealing too. i can that for the first time you've realised you are quite intelligent. gcses dont require intelligence, just effort and exam technique. a-levels however, can require little revision to do extremely well. there is no need to be so arrogant about it though.
If you're passionate about Maths you should enjoy doing Maths exams. :p: Although to me that's quite inconceivable. :lolwut:
Reply 1387
skotch
everyone has to do gcses so what's the point of walking out because "i couldn't be bothered". everyone goes through the same thing, so i don't see why you would decide to pass iy down and not try hard. if you're good at something, flaunt it and prosper as a result.

have to admit it is pretty arrogant to walk out of an exam. you're not doing yourself any service and tempting fate too - if you screw up your A-level then they definitely won't pick you.

being all 'cba' is not the attitude any university/employer wants.

Fix'd
kayn
i got a C in maths at gcse (i didnt sit my module 9/10 exam lol walked out cba) , but i am predicted A* at A level. does this make me look good when applying to cam or worse because my gcse is poor. although i could take it right now and get 100%. :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

could've, would've, should've... in the real world nobody cares unless it's on paper.
Reply 1389
silent ninja
could've, would've, should've... in the real world nobody cares unless it's on paper.

Real talk. :rolleyes:
I have a C in maths. Only as I sat the lower tier paper.
Fiasco
Real talk. :rolleyes:

Your point?
Reply 1392
silent ninja
Your point?

I was quoting you because it was true and I agree.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=real+talk
Fiasco
I was quoting you because it was true and I agree.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=real+talk

I thought you meant something else cos of the sarcastic face :p:
:smile:
Reply 1394
SouthernFreerider
why the hell are you wanting to apply for oxbridge if you couldnt be assed to sit a few hours of maths gcse exams?

gcses arent the end of the world, and fine, who cares, but it just shows a real lack of maturity to walk out of an exam. dont revise or dont do homework in term time if you really dont care about it. but what else did you use that few hours doing instead of sitting the rest of your gcse? it shows a lack of social intelligence. sure, in 20 years time the C won't matter, but the fact of it is, for unis, gcses do matter. they arent the most important factor, but for the sake of a few hours exams, there are sure worth at least doing...

the rest of your post is a little revealing too. i can that for the first time you've realised you are quite intelligent. gcses dont require intelligence, just effort and exam technique. a-levels however, can require little revision to do extremely well. there is no need to be so arrogant about it though.

no , i have been told ever scince i can remember i am alot more inteligent then most people and i couldnt care if i underachieve its just the way i am , most of the smartest people gennerally are not freaks who just sit in worrying about exams ...BUT a levels are actually require a bit of thought , hence i wouldnt mind doing well , and this was only a question im not actually going to apply to cam anyway i just wanted some opinions. i am not to fussed about the whole matter but everyone on this thread seems realy angry and annoyed ...
kayn
no , i have been told ever scince i can remember i am alot more inteligent then most people and i couldnt care if i underachieve its just the way i am , most of the smartest people gennerally are not freaks who just sit in worrying about exams ...BUT a levels are actually require a bit of thought , hence i wouldnt mind doing well , and this was only a question im not actually going to apply to cam anyway i just wanted some opinions. i am not to fussed about the whole matter but everyone on this thread seems realy angry and annoyed ...

Intelligence is not just about IQ. There are plenty people who have got high IQ but get nowhere in their life just because they are too lazy, or they haven't received good education when they were young.

If you underachieve because of your attitude, then you are not so intelligent, since you could have done better. I think people who don't do well but tried their best are more intelligent, they do things in a more mature way. They are more reliable.

It doesn't matter what you claim, people will judge you base on your performance and the way you do things. Base on what you did I think you had been very insensible.
Here's the crack: I've been doing 5 AS levels for my last year, physics, chemistry, biology, maths and philosophy and ethics -- I would appreciate it if any of you could give me my chances of getting interviewed by Cambridge in the following circumstances, based on my AS results (I know it is not as cut and dried as that):

aaaaa, or aaaab, or perhaps aaabb.
Liquid27
Here's the crack: I've been doing 5 AS levels for my last year, physics, chemistry, biology, maths and philosophy and ethics -- I would appreciate it if any of you could give me my chances of getting interviewed by Cambridge in the following circumstances, based on my AS results (I know it is not as cut and dried as that):

aaaaa, or aaaab, or perhaps aaabb.

I'd say, almost certain (since nothing's ever completely certain, right?), almost certain, and very likely respectively. Cambridge interview most of their applicants unless they really have no hope.
So here's the situation. For a variety of reasons, including the fact that was bullied badly at secondary school, was having counselling in yr 11, lacked motivation, didn't work, and really hated some of my teachers and had very disruptive people around me, I kind of f***** up my gcses. I got 4 bs and 5cs, am now at 6th form am studying politics, english lit, and sociology, and have recently finished my exams. I wanted to do economics, politics, history and english, but my petty and small minded 6th form wouldn't let me do history and economics because I only got cs in history and maths, even though everyone knows that history is different at as and a level and economics as and a level requires quite a small amount of maths.

So anyway, am enjoying the subjects am doing at the moment, and am predicted As in all of them. The whole 'predicted grades' thing doesn't apply to me as I don't want to go to university until im 20/21. After I finish year 13, either independently or at private colleges, I intend to study history and economics and try and attain As in both of them. After that, which I think will take until i am 19, I am undecided on what I would do. My main interest, however, still remains History. I read history books in my free time, watch documentaries, and really have a real passion for it. I would very much like to attend cambridge to do history as I feel the environment there would really suit me.

Now, let's say. hypothetically (as I am aware I may not get 5as), that I attained 5 a levels, all graded A, had good references, good Personal statement, expressed a real passion for history, and was an older student.

Would there be any point retaking some gcses to get a*s? as the average cambridge applicant does, or do you think cambridge would be able to look past them?

thanks
Absolutely no point.

Firstly, A Levels are known to be more important to Cambridge and probably most universities and if you're predicted all As then they should offer you an interview at least. Getting As will show the level of improvement as GENERALLY GCSEs are easier than A Levels.

Secondly, you had circumstances during your GCSEs which you may be able to get your teacher to mention. The lack of motivation etc, maybe not, but the bullying and counselling certainly so.

Lastly, there is NO POINT redoing GCSEs just for A* if it might disrupt your grades in the A Levels that you are doing. Your passion for History seems genuine and you are doing lots towards it, which is what they're after. However, it MIGHT be an idea to redo History GCSE but even then I wouldn't REALLY advise it.

This part:

'I read history books in my free time, watch documentaries, and really have a real passion for it. I would very much like to attend cambridge to do history as I feel the environment there would really suit me.

Now, let's say. hypothetically (as I am aware I may not get 5as), that I attained 5 a levels, all graded A, had good references, good Personal statement, expressed a real passion for history, and was an older student'

sounds the most important and they will take your circumstances into account.

Latest

Trending

Trending