The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

just a quick question. do you have to tell Cam what modules you intend to retake?

and if so, when you fill in the SAQ do you get brownie points for saying you will retake a module which you did cack in?

For example I got 85 in C2 and know Cam like 90+ but tbh it doesn't matter cos i got an a?

Also what's your opinion on my grades AAABB

with B in french (4 ums off will go for a remark) and B in CT :lol:

I plan to do Economics (got 100 and 97)

do you think french won't affect the application as much because it isn't as related as my other subjects

Maths (91, 85, 92)
History (Scrape with 80, 84)

Thanks!
SmellyCat16
just a quick question. do you have to tell Cam what modules you intend to retake?

You did when I applied, yes.

SmellyCat16
and if so, when you fill in the SAQ do you get brownie points for saying you will retake a module which you did cack in?

Don't know.

SmellyCat16
For example I got 85 in C2 and know Cam like 90+ but tbh it doesn't matter cos i got an a?

Well, your Maths UMS does matter a lot for Economics, but as I said, I don't know if stating you intend to retake will make up for it.

SmellyCat16
Also what's your opinion on my grades AAABB

with B in french (4 ums off will go for a remark) and B in CT :lol:

I plan to do Economics (got 100 and 97)

do you think french won't affect the application as much because it isn't as related as my other subjects

Maths (91, 85, 92)
History (Scrape with 80, 84)

Your grades will be below average for an Economics applicant, and your lack of Further Maths is likely to work against you. However you should get an interview at which you will really need to excel. Good luck.
alex_hk90

Well, your Maths UMS does matter a lot for Economics, but as I said, I don't know if stating you intend to retake will make up for it.

Your grades will be below average for an Economics applicant, and your lack of Further Maths is likely to work against you. However you should get an interview at which you will really need to excel. Good luck.

well i forgot to mention that im self teaching AS further maths this year so hopefully that will boost my app. thanks for the advice buddy.
SmellyCat16
really maths doesn't matter that much? :eek: . well i forgot to mention that im self teaching AS further maths this year so hopefully that will boost my app. thanks for the advice buddy.

He said maths matters a lot? :confused:
Economics is very mathematical at degree level hence the desire for further maths by most colleges.
bob9001
He said maths matters a lot? :confused:

woops my bad :hubba:
I have a little question. I did well in A2 results, securing a 95.6% average and a's in all a level modules. However, my A2 subjects were history, theology, and drama, the latter being a generally blacklisted subject for cambridge. I also got a distinction in AEA critical thinking. Do you think that might 'make up' for the fact that one of my A levels is 'soft' (although I dont think it is, and I got pretty much 100% in it). By the way, im applying for anth and arch at Queens.
T-o dore
I have a little question. I did well in A2 results, securing a 95.6% average and a's in all a level modules. However, my A2 subjects were history, theology, and drama, the latter being a generally blacklisted subject for cambridge. I also got a distinction in AEA critical thinking. Do you think that might 'make up' for the fact that one of my A levels is 'soft' (although I dont think it is, and I got pretty much 100% in it). By the way, im applying for anth and arch at Queens.

They don't mind if you do one blacklisted subject, your grades will put you in a good position applying.
T-o dore

That is very good UMS marks that you achieved. However, as you have said drama is counted as a soft subject. Also, since you are only applying, you must be taking a gap year? Maybe you should consider doing an A-level in one year to make up for the fact that you have dramas as one of your A-levels. Critical thinking is also widely discredited, or so I am made to beleive.

EDIT: seems I am wrong according to The West Wing
Okay I posted this before I didn't get much of a response so.....

Do I still have a chance for Cambridge? I am applying for Linguistics.

These are my AS grades:
History: A (over 90%)
Art & Design: A (80%)
General Studies: A (85%)
English: B (70%) (over 90% in Coursework)
Sociology: B (75%)

I got 11A*s, an A and B at GCSE. I also have a ridiculous amount of extra curricular/volunteer stuff.

I got 3 As, but two are in things not considered 'proper' subjects (although apparently having a third subject be less academic is okay, such as Art? A boy from a school near me got an Oxford offer with Performing Arts as one of his subjects). I should have got an A in English, but the AQA exam marks seemed to have been messed up across the country and my teacher is getting them remarked, but the remark won't arrive until after the application deadline. If I explain this in my application somewhere, will it become irrelevant?
Rosie0914

These are my AS grades:

I got 11A*s, an A and B at GCSE. I also have a ridiculous amount of extra curricular/volunteer stuff.

I got 3 As, but two are in things not considered 'proper' subjects (although apparently having a third subject be less academic is okay, such as Art? A boy from a school near me got an Oxford offer with Performing Arts as one of his subjects). I should have got an A in English, but the AQA exam marks seemed to have been messed up across the country and my teacher is getting them remarked, but the remark won't arrive until after the application deadline. If I explain this in my application somewhere, will it become irrelevant?

Your subject choices should be fine. Your grades aren't very good though, so if anything that's what would be your biggest disadvantage, but you should apply anyway and see how it goes.
It could be lupus
That is very good UMS marks that you achieved. However, as you have said drama is counted as a soft subject. Also, since you are only applying, you must be taking a gap year? Maybe you should consider doing an A-level in one year to make up for the fact that you have dramas as one of your A-levels. Critical thinking is also widely discredited, or so I am made to beleive.
EDIT: seems I am wrong according to The West Wing

Yeah critical thinking isnt counted as an A level by many unis because it takes no work - its like an IQ or an LNAT test. But it does show evidence of the ability to think logically and argue well. Im thinking of doing an extra A level, but ive already got 2 jobs and am going travelling from march... so its not likely i'll be able to do it... I also think drama can be linked quite well to anthropology, and in any case I got the draa scholarship, so had no choice but to do it.

Ahh well, i'll just apply and see what happens!
Rosie0914

These are my AS grades:

Your GCSEs are good but your AS grades might let you down. You scraped a B in English which isn't great since you want to do linguistics. Also, general studies doesn't count.
However if I were you and really liked Cambridge and your course, apply. It's one of your five choices and you'll probably get an interview. Do your best at the interview and see what happens. At least then you know you tried your best. :smile:

Edit in bold: Although this has some merit to it, Cambridge aren't too concerned about your ECA's or volunteering particularly. I would also advise some resits perhaps? Considering the offer will be A*AA if you didn't do any resits you are no eligible to get an A* in english or sociology since you need an A at AS.
T-o dore
Yeah critical thinking isnt counted as an A level by many unis because it takes no work - its like an IQ or an LNAT test. But it does show evidence of the ability to think logically and argue well. Im thinking of doing an extra A level, but ive already got 2 jobs and am going travelling from march... so its not likely i'll be able to do it... I also think drama can be linked quite well to anthropology, and in any case I got the draa scholarship, so had no choice but to do it.

Ahh well, i'll just apply and see what happens!

In Northern Ireland you cant do Critical Thinking or General Studies as an A-level option. If you have things arranged for your gap year, then don't bother with an extra A-level, though it could help your application. If they ask you about doing drama at interview, make sure you can argue how it can be well linked.

You may as well apply, and if you get to an interview then it is all a matter to how you perform, there and then.
bob9001
Your GCSEs are good but your AS grades might let you down. You scraped a B in English which isn't great since you want to do linguistics. Also, general studies doesn't count.
However if I were you and really liked Cambridge and your course, apply. It's one of your five choices and you'll probably get an interview. Do your best at the interview and see what happens. At least then you know you tried your best. :smile:

Edit in bold: Although this has some merit to it, Cambridge aren't too concerned about your ECA's or volunteering particularly. I would also advise some resits perhaps? Considering the offer will be A*AA if you didn't do any resits you are no eligible to get an A* in english or sociology since you need an A at AS.

I am resitting a sociology module (I got 92% in one, but a C in the other, so if I resit I should get it up to an A).

The English is the one I am concerned about because there seem to have been problems with AQA English being really low up and down the country, so I am resitting, but my teacher is getting a remark because she thinks it is inaccurate. She's also the one writing my reference - if she were to mention that she thinks my grade, along with everyone else at my school and at others, apparently, seemed like an anomaly, would this help?

I think I can write a strong PS as I am currently reading a lot of Linguistics books and finding them fascinating, and I think I can relate some of the volunteer stuff, which doesn't carry much weight at Cambridge, to the course, which might help. Hopefully if I were to be interviewed I could get a place, but with my grades I don't know if I'll even get that far...
Rosie0914
I am resitting a sociology module (I got 92% in one, but a C in the other, so if I resit I should get it up to an A).

The English is the one I am concerned about because there seem to have been problems with AQA English being really low up and down the country, so I am resitting, but my teacher is getting a remark because she thinks it is inaccurate. She's also the one writing my reference - if she were to mention that she thinks my grade, along with everyone else at my school and at others, apparently, seemed like an anomaly, would this help?

I think I can write a strong PS as I am currently reading a lot of Linguistics books and finding them fascinating, and I think I can relate some of the volunteer stuff, which doesn't carry much weight at Cambridge, to the course, which might help. Hopefully if I were to be interviewed I could get a place, but with my grades I don't know if I'll even get that far...

I see. Your reference might help as to shed some light onto your grade but they might ask at interview.

Cambridge interview 90% of applicants so in my opinion you would probably get an interview. :smile:
bob9001
I see. Your reference might help as to shed some light onto your grade but they might ask at interview.

Cambridge interview 90% of applicants so in my opinion you would probably get an interview. :smile:

Brilliant - thanks for the help :smile: Hopefully I'll get one. There's a chance by the interview the result of the remark will be through, as well... so if it's gone up that'll hopefully help with the offer.

Does anyone know if Jesus do any tests at interview?
Rosie0914

Does anyone know if Jesus do any tests at interview?

What subject?
http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/apply/tests.html
If you click on your subject it shows what colleges test (:
_lynx_
I'm considering studying medicine at Cambridge or Oxford and I'm aware that Cambridge is strict about UMS. Do I have a realistic chance of getting an interview and being accepted?

Biology- 278/300 A
Chemistry- 273/300 A
Maths- 261/300 A
Economics- 164/200 A
GS- C

Would they only consider the UMS of the three most relevant subjects, or would they just calculate the average UMS of all of the subjets? At the moment, I feel that I have a higher chance of at least getting to the interview stage at Oxford because I have 8A* and 2A at GCSE.

Okay so I don't go to Cambridge... but from what everyone else is saying it would appear that Cambridge aren't actually that strict about UMS. They prefer above 90% but I doubt it'll stop you getting an interview.

Don't you have over 90% in three of yours anyway?
Rosie0914
Okay so I don't go to Cambridge... but from what everyone else is saying it would appear that Cambridge aren't actually that strict about UMS. They prefer above 90% but I doubt it'll stop you getting an interview.

Finally someone who actually reads the replies. :smile:

They should set up a script for posts on this thread which automatically informs users intending to post of this.
alex_hk90
Finally someone who actually reads the replies. :smile:

They should set up a script for posts on this thread which automatically informs users intending to post of this.

:yep:

Latest

Trending

Trending