Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
pikaboo
Stop being food snobs :eek:

I'm choosing my 3rd year house mainly on the basis of its proximity to Tesco. Woo yeah. Sod Waitrose, I'll need a second overdraft to shop there.

--------------

Edit: I'd like to hear what the locals have to say about it :biggrin:
Ok so our house is turning into a food heaven but apart from thet we're ok and yeah it is expensive I can't afford to spend this much regularlly (though it's not much more than I spent at tesco)

+ There are lots of rich locals who'll love it, there seems to be no shortage the last few times I've been in
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 61
I'm not being a food snob, just a general snob in saying this.

The new Waitrose seems to attract a group of locals somehow more kindred to the student community than the dirty people that used to bump into me at Morissons.

Seriously, I am no RAH, but the people who shop at waitrose, whether it be money or good taste are far more respectful.

How strange.

So for anyone that shops at iceland or tescos where the old people push in queues because they think by some inverse logic that being a student is a bad thing...

SHOULD HAVE GONE TO WAITROSE!!!
Reply 62
I am a snob and those people who shop at Waitrose are far more elite and superior to those who shop at Tescos. Full stop.

Iceland is full of old people or teenagers with babies.

Tescos is full of people who have been lost there for months as the place is so big they cant find the exits. Though you can drive and park your car there which is useful.

Aldi (next to Tesco)... my friend went in, i stayed outside in the car, with sunglasses on, from fear of being seen anywhere near the place.
Reply 63
AdamC
I am a snob and those people who shop at Waitrose are far more elite and superior to those who shop at Tescos. Full stop.

Iceland is full of old people or teenagers with babies.

Tescos is full of people who have been lost there for months as the place is so big they cant find the exits. Though you can drive and park your car there which is useful.

Aldi (next to Tesco)... my friend went in, i stayed outside in the car, with sunglasses on, from fear of being seen anywhere near the place.

:eek: What's wrong with Aldi?
Reply 64
Beans are 3p and are crunchy.

CRUNCHY FOOD MAKES ME ANGRY!!!:mad:
Reply 65
Becca

Whats NOT wrong with it!!! :biggrin: :rolleyes: :cool:

There's a diverse collection of pond-life that shop there tho. I hear zoo-ology students go there for a field trip :wink:
Reply 66
LMMFAO! I call people pond-life too!

Especially when its some 35 year old dirty lady who is arguing about 17p in Wilkinsons... Needless to say I gave the cashier the goddamn money in a particularly irate fashion considering I was witnessing the downfall or western civilsation.

Ugh. Some people are just icky.
Reply 67
Becca

*reword* What is RIGHT with Aldi?!

--------------

AdamC
i stayed outside in the car, with sunglasses on, from fear of being seen anywhere near the place.

exactly what i wouldve done! :biggrin:
Reply 68
OMFG yooouu people need to be shot! I lived off iceland and aldi food while I grew up. It's gorgeous. Just because you'd prefer to pay an extra 2 quid to get a paragraph on the front of your food telling you how it was sunripened and handpicked by the finest whatever, doesn't make it taste any better. And besides, Aldi beans cost 11p a tin.
Reply 69
Yes, but according to Robbie they're crunchy. Which he objects to.
Reply 70
Okay, so now I'm paying 11p to eat crunchy beans... I feel so much better!

At least for 3p I could recycle the cans and make the experience worthwhile.
Reply 71
bilb
It's gorgeous. Just because you'd prefer to pay an extra 2 quid to get a paragraph on the front of your food telling you how it was sunripened and handpicked by the finest whatever, doesn't make it taste any better.

That is total rubbish, when you buy food you get what you pay for, chicken that's been allowed to move and not be pumped full of antibotics tastes better and is better for you than battery farmed chicken, same with the eggs from them. Similar with most foods, take salmon for example wild salmon will be expensive but tastes a huge amount better than farmed salmon. Vegetables which have been grown without interferance taste better as with things like potatos they overwater them to make them bigger, there is a reason why super markets charge more for some foods - usually they taste better
Reply 72
Absolutely. Only at restaurants would I agree that there is POINTLESS markup on food prices for names and such like.

Though I agree there is an issue of markup on organic foods, but then again if you are a GM pessimist, you are getting what you pay for.

You might think Aldi food is 'gorgeous', whereas the concept of most of it makes me feel ill. It's all relative.
Reply 73
Seriously, at home all I eat is Aldi food, and it's brilliant. The food is BOTH good quality and cheap. If people actually got over this snobbishness and went in and tried some of the stuff you'd see. I could make an amazingly delicious meal made entirely with ingredients bought from Aldi and it would be no less healthy than food bought from Tesco or Waitrose. People have such a problem with Aldi and I really can't understand why.
If you think I'm getting arsey, it's because I've had to put up with 'aldi-bashing' all through my school career because people are so ignorant and silly. Yes there are some things you can't buy at Aldi, like particular brands but the only thing we ever buy at home that isn't from Aldi is PG Tips.

Oh and Aldi is one of the top 100 graduate employers - as a graduate trainee you get £37,000/year and an Audi A4, and once you've moved up to managing 6 stores your salary is £57,000/year.

I heart Aldi.
Reply 74
What the hell is Aldi?

Never heard of it..
Reply 75
Becca
Seriously, at home all I eat is Aldi food, and it's brilliant. The food is BOTH good quality and cheap. If people actually got over this snobbishness and went in and tried some of the stuff you'd see. I could make an amazingly delicious meal made entirely with ingredients bought from Aldi and it would be no less healthy than food bought from Tesco or Waitrose. People have such a problem with Aldi and I really can't understand why.
If you think I'm getting arsey, it's because I've had to put up with 'aldi-bashing' all through my school career because people are so ignorant and silly. Yes there are some things you can't buy at Aldi, like particular brands but the only thing we ever buy at home that isn't from Aldi is PG Tips.

Oh and Aldi is one of the top 100 graduate employers - as a graduate trainee you get £37,000/year and an Audi A4, and once you've moved up to managing 6 stores your salary is £57,000/year.

I heart Aldi.

omg i felt like posting a counter response but seeing as you are so sensitive about the subject id better not
Reply 76
Christo
What the hell is Aldi?

Never heard of it..

German supermarket. Sells good quality food at low prices and the way they can afford the low prices is by having fewer staff on roll, just putting the produce out in the store in crates (ie not wasting time stacking shelves), and by only providing trollies and no baskets for people to use, so that no time is wasted by people having to go round picking up baskets.
Reply 77
Christo
What the hell is Aldi?

Never heard of it..

the brainchild of German ingenuity :rolleyes:
Reply 78
posh_git
omg i felt like posting a counter response but seeing as you are so sensitive about the subject id better not

No, post away. I'm interested to see what people find so repulsive about Aldi, when there is clearly nothing wrong with it at all.
Reply 79
...no i would really offend lol

Latest