The Student Room Group

BSc Science with QTS vs PGCE

I'm at a crossroads where I hate my current degree and decided now is the chance to go into teaching. It isn't a whim, I worked 2 years in construction of schools and met and worked with loads of teachers, they all seemed happy, enthused and content with their jobs while I felt dead inside.

So, I need to decide whether I start a 2 year BSc General Science with qualified teacher status that would lead straight to a teaching role

OR

Complete my current degree (2 years) do a year of SKE top-up and then a PGCE in secondary science.

Obviously the SKE + PGCE takes twice as long, but is it a better way to go?

One final option could be to start a new degree, mechanical engineering and go straight onto a PGCE, being the same 4 years. I would probably prefer to do this overall but I can't get student loans for the 1st year of a new degree.

I am 22 so getting a bit long in the tooth if that would influence any suggestions/suitability for courses.

My qualifications are:

GCSE:

Science - AA*
Maths - A
English - A
English Literature - B
History - B
French - B
Product Design - C

A-level:

Physics - C
Maths - C
Electronics - B

Current Degree:

BSc Building Surveying (1 year completed)

Many Thanks
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Hard.Target
I'm at a crossroads where I hate my current degree and decided now is the chance to go into teaching. It isn't a whim, I worked 2 years in construction of schools and met and worked with loads of teachers, they all seemed happy, enthused and content with their jobs while I felt dead inside.

So, I need to decide whether I start a 2 year BSc General Science with qualified teacher status that would lead straight to a teaching role

OR

Complete my current degree (2 years) do a year of SKE top-up and then a PGCE in secondary science.

Obviously the SKE + PGCE takes twice as long, but is it a better way to go?

One final option could be to start a new degree, mechanical engineering and go straight onto a PGCE, being the same 4 years. I would probably prefer to do this overall but I can't get student loans for the 1st year of a new degree.

I am 22 so getting a bit long in the tooth if that would influence any suggestions/suitability for courses.

My qualifications are:

GCSE:

Science - AA*
Maths - A
English - A
English Literature - B
History - B
French - B
Product Design - C

A-level:

Physics - C
Maths - C
Electronics - B

Current Degree:

BSc Building Surveying (1 year completed)

Many Thanks

What uni are u at mate?
Reply 2
Original post by hassom
What uni are u at mate?

Sheffield Hallam
Reply 3
Sheffield Hallam

Dont u like it there?
Reply 4
Original post by hassom
Dont u like it there?

Its ok, its the course more than anything I don't like. I'm not really interested in the job you do at the end. I'd be doing the SKE/PGCE teaching BSc here.
Reply 5
Its ok, its the course more than anything I don't like. I'm not really interested in the job you do at the end. I'd be doing the SKE/PGCE teaching BSc here.

O ok then, im pretty sure u can do teaching after the BS degree. Well good luck mate :smile: x
Reply 6
Original post by hassom
O ok then, im pretty sure u can do teaching after the BS degree. Well good luck mate :smile: x

Thanks buts thats the problem, for some reason there isnt deemed to be enough science in my degree so I have to do an extra year just to get me up to a decent level in science. As if my having destroyed it in gcse then carried on with physics at A-level wasnt enough, not forgetting my course is about 30% maths and 20% physics.
Reply 7
I'd speak to someone at the TDA while it still exists. SKEs might not exist by the time you graduate.
Reply 8
Original post by *Sparkle*
I'd speak to someone at the TDA while it still exists. SKEs might not exist by the time you graduate.

Haha well I have been advised the BSc is subject to review on the government's decission some time in march I didn't realise the SKE was the same.

Does that mean they will only have PGCE courses or are they at risk too? Guess the government has decided we have enough teachers huh.
Reply 9

Hi, i'm not at uni yet, but have similar dilema over QTS with degree or PGCE and also i have applied to sheffield Hallam.

What is the uni like, obviously on here it gets a lot of stick being an ex poly, but if i did want to do maths with QTS it is the only one within travelling distance that offers it.

I'm currently applying to do Foundation year maths and engineering at hallam, as i'm a mature student without a levels. So like you, the years untill completion seem to adding up.

hoping i get in for sept (i've applied late unfortunately) a year foundation followed by 3 years degree either in Secondary maths with QTS is obviously the quickest option.
but i don't know whether to risk doing a degree purely for teaching, if i didn't want to teach afterall, would my degree be useless to apply for other maths related jobs.
luckily the foundation course lets you go on to either maths or the secondary maths, so hopefully once i start things may become clearer.

Wish you well in your decision, and please tell me anything about hallam that you can
jen
Reply 10
Hiya,
I was just wondering what you decided to do?
Ive applied to Sheffield Hallam for BSc Science with Education and Qualified Teacher Status, the 2 year route: im doing biomed at manchester uni now.

Just wondered what its like if you did do it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending