The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I was going to wear a suit because I do actually feel comfortable in one but I'm unsure because it says everywhere 'do not feel that you need to wear a suit' - I don't want them to think I did it just to impress them or anything.
Reply 41
N9ne
Well that's okay then. To make us feel better they should also give us hot chocolate, cookies and an offer.

i'd compromise the hot chocolate and cookies . . .

and i think i will probably wear a suit, i do wear one reasonably regularly but i dont want them to think im trying to hard or anything either. everyone always gets really paranoid abot what theyre going to wear, including me, when in fact its not going to matter that much, unless youre really borderline.
Reply 42
N9ne
Well that's okay then. To make us feel better they should also give us hot chocolate, cookies and an offer.
my supervisor always makes us tea and gives us chocolate and biscuits if we are feeling peckish ANNNNNNNNNDDDDD my next supo with him will be in Starbucks...me just loves grad students.
Reply 43
bob_54321
i'd compromise the hot chocolate and cookies . . .

and i think i will probably wear a suit, i do wear one reasonably regularly but i dont want them to think im trying to hard or anything either. everyone always gets really paranoid abot what theyre going to wear, including me, when in fact its not going to matter that much, unless youre really borderline.
Just bite the bullet and go in T-shirt and jeans! (with something warm, too!). They really don't care what you wear as long as you aren't dressed in just a bathrobe, or as an underwear model.
Reply 44
N9ne
Just bite the bullet and go in T-shirt and jeans! (with something warm, too!). They really don't care what you wear as long as you aren't dressed in just a bathrobe, or as an underwear model.

Oh. That's my outfit out of the question then. Even black lacy stuff? :frown:
Ok which one would you rather wear for an interview at cambridge (sorry if this is similar to other threads and or posts, but im in need of sum advice here)?
Reply 46
i will stick with my suit.... and tie .. probably....
but with some light colour shirts....
Reply 47
nah... better stick with the suit and tie attire....
Reply 48
shirt and smart trousers would be a minimum, preferably with a tie.
Reply 49
i'm going with slippers, short shorts and a dressing gown :p:

nah seriously, i'll just decide on the day, definatley wont' cart a suit to england just for an interview.. but maybe just some nice pants and a nice shirt... but yeh probably smart-casual
Reply 50
gezzar
i'm going with slippers, short shorts and a dressing gown :p:

nah seriously, i'll just decide on the day, definatley wont' cart a suit to england just for an interview.. but maybe just some nice pants and a nice shirt... but yeh probably smart-casual

sounds reasonable enough. isn't a suit like overkill? i mean, they ARE supposed to be more interested in your brains than what you're wearing.

That aside, I wore a business shirt and pants. No suit though.
You should wear eeryday clothes, or at the very least clothes you feel comfortable in. It shouldn't be an extra thing to stress about.

MB
Reply 52
Thought I might contibute:

I wore a suit, but with a fitted t-shirt rather than a shirt. I was the only person I saw in my college wearing a suit. Everyone was smart-casual. It didn't matter at all.
One interviewer was smart-ish, the other three were not.
I feel perfectly happy in a suit, so it wasn't a problem.

Be smart ish (so, not jogging-bottoms or pyjamas!), but don't stress about it. It's your thoughts they're after, not your fashion sense.

If you're *genuinely* worried about this, you're worrying about all the wrong things. Get reading and thinking, and stop faffing about clothes. Seriously. Sorry to be harsh, but as long as you're reasonably clean they're just not going to give a damn.

Also: IT'S BLOODY FREEZNG HERE. Really. Really really. So maybe add some more layers to your carefully-planned outfits. And a hat and a scarf and gloves and thermal underwear. You'll look like a really fat snowman but you'll be warm!

x
Reply 53
N9ne

I felt more comfortable in my suit than I would have in t-shirt and jeans. It's hard to explain, but I felt if I was dressed in a way I felt confident would look smart, I would be more confident and assured in my answers than if I was wearing normal clothes like it was any other day. It IS a big day, and if wearing a suit makes you look/feel more able to handle it, I don't see why not.

Soonalvin, I don't think a suit need necessarily be overkill. Especially if you're used to wearing one as quite a few of us are/were.

Note that although most interview invitations say "Please do not feel the need to wear a suit," none of them say "You must not wear a suit." :wink:
Reply 54
Lol, I'm not wearing a tie...

And anyway if Cambridge judged me for not wearing a suit and tie I don't want to go there tbh!
Reply 55
Helenia
I felt more comfortable in my suit than I would have in t-shirt and jeans. It's hard to explain, but I felt if I was dressed in a way I felt confident would look smart, I would be more confident and assured in my answers than if I was wearing normal clothes like it was any other day. It IS a big day, and if wearing a suit makes you look/feel more able to handle it, I don't see why not.

Soonalvin, I don't think a suit need necessarily be overkill. Especially if you're used to wearing one as quite a few of us are/were.

Note that although most interview invitations say "Please do not feel the need to wear a suit," none of them say "You must not wear a suit." :wink:

Yea. It's far too hot in Singapore to wear a suit without melting. Then again, we're the air-conditioned nation. :rolleyes:
Hadn't really thought about it... but then I don't know whether I even have an interview yet. My favourite skirt atm is pretty gorgeous but I think I'll probably wear jeans - I can't see that they'd mind! Jeans are just so much warmer... although skirts are more comfortable because I don't feel obliged to cross my legs... Basically it's as difficult as working out what to wear to college every day - clothes annoy me!
im still undecided between formal and fashionable
nicolo
im still undecided between formal and fashionable

maybe fashionable cloths that are also a bit formal ..? :cool:

----------------------------------------------------------------

I dont really know what i am going to wear, its also going to be so cold (as its already freezing this year and its only november!) so any outfit will be covered by a scarf, and a coat anyway.
Reply 59
Im wearing what a wear to school:
jeans trainers and a random top.
do u think i should shave tho? :eek:

Latest

Trending

Trending