The Student Room Group

Part time jobs are impossible to get!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by BeccaCath94
Hi,
Im in year 12 at the moment but since last summer I have been looking on and off for a weekend job at the very least. I have handed out numerous CVs but no one has replied to them. And i have been rejected many times from online applications.
How am I supposed to get a job???

I can absolutely understand your situation. I was also struggling to find a (full time) job, which should be more easier to get than part time, but couldn't find any for 4 months. Finally I got one at McDonalds after volunteering at an oxfam shop . Try to apply to McDonalds. Just apply to all McDonalds restaurants in your area or where you can easily get to. Otherwise just go round giving out cvs to every shop even if they are not advertising for a job.

An alternative to this would be to volunteer. Consider volunteering at a museum, library, or charity shop. This will look good on a cv because the employers will know you are hard working and you don't just work for the money (even if it is the case).

Ask someone to review your cv and try to improve it. Maybe your CV is just not good enough. Could be a reason as well.
Reply 41
Original post by Cappuccinoes
Try Marks and Spencer. After months of getting applications rejected from other shops, I got in straight away with them. There's no need to write a CV; you just go through a 'talent screening' process online which really isn't that hard. The interview process is quite straight forward as well. They're all for equal opportunities too so if your work experience is limited they won't mind. You just need to shine in the interview :smile:.

Keep an eye on their careers site and see if any vacancies come up at your local stores :smile:. They come up and disappear like hot cakes usually so apply quickly if you see anything you might be interested in.

I assume you don't live in London, do you? I tried that and the applications for London are all filled within 5 minutes or so. I checked there every day at different times of the day and in 2 weeks or so, just found a single time when there was a vacancy in the London area. At least online it is quite near impossible to get a job at M&S if in London.
Reply 42
Original post by Colour Me Pretty
Have you tried volunteering to boost your c.v whilst looking? :smile:

To work in retail most employers don't really care about volunteer work tbh
Reply 43
Not impossible at all.

You just need to look at the right places, talk to friends in jobs and see if they can refer you (thats how it works at my workplace - they said they'd rather have people we refer rather than having to go through the longness of looking for people - true stories).

Me personally, in 2008 - 2009 I found the whole looking for a job thing hard, i'm 19 on a gap year and around about September 2010 I had many job offers from well known places, its just about looking constantly, even if its allocating time at the end of the day to check, it makes a difference.

Also make sure your CV is sharp, people say that employers want experience when it comes to retail but I beg to differ tbh, if your the right person they will train you up and i've seen it happen at work where for my job your meant to have 1 - 2 years worth of customer service experience.

Keep working on it. :h:
It really depends on where you live. Certainly where I am from, you need to drive really. Public transport is too expensive, takes too long, is too unreliable and stops too early. And god knows whats its like in even more rural areas (where some bus services are being axed on weekends!).

And certainly when I was in sixth form, most people who had jobs managed to get them through family connections rather than actually trying hard to find one.

Original post by burgergetsbored
McDonalds....anyone can get a job at Mcdonalds....

Not if you are "overqualified" (not my experience, but people are often turned away from low paid unskilled work if they are well educated - as they will always be looking for something better).
(edited 13 years ago)
I can really relate to this- there was a job going in a newsagent and the first question the interviewer asked me was 'Are you a graduate?'. As I replied 'no' he looked at me with disdain and said to me that there were more qualified applicants!!!!!! How darn qualified do you need to be these days to sell Mars bars and newspapers?!!
Original post by Shelly_x
IF you wouldn't mind cleaning then there are lOts of well paid cleaning jobs. Try looking at your local hospital, they pay cleaners 7 quid an hour, double time Sundays.

how does one find a hospital cleaning job?

I just had a look at my local hospital's job section and found nothing. Is it something they advertise or elsewhere?
Reply 47
Original post by aleathiel
how does one find a hospital cleaning job?

I just had a look at my local hospital's job section and found nothing. Is it something they advertise or elsewhere?

I work at an nhs hospital. Go to the nhs jobs website (just search nhs jobs in google), the job titles are domestic assistant or ward housekeeper. They are usually the same positions in private hospitals too.
Original post by Shelly_x
I work at an nhs hospital. Go to the nhs jobs website (just search nhs jobs in google), the job titles are domestic assistant or ward housekeeper. They are usually the same positions in private hospitals too.

thank you :smile:
Original post by aarora
To work in retail most employers don't really care about volunteer work tbh

But why? Someone else also said this in this thread but didn't explain why, and I don't understand :confused:. Surely volunteering must put someone at some sort of advantage? Please answer.

Original post by Nayberay
Not impossible at all.

You just need to look at the right places, talk to friends in jobs and see if they can refer you (thats how it works at my workplace - they said they'd rather have people we refer rather than having to go through the longness of looking for people - true stories).

Me personally, in 2008 - 2009 I found the whole looking for a job thing hard, i'm 19 on a gap year and around about September 2010 I had many job offers from well known places, its just about looking constantly, even if its allocating time at the end of the day to check, it makes a difference.

Also make sure your CV is sharp, people say that employers want experience when it comes to retail but I beg to differ tbh, if your the right person they will train you up and i've seen it happen at work where for my job your meant to have 1 - 2 years worth of customer service experience.

Keep working on it. :h:

I remember reading your employment guide a few months ago, as well as other guides, and I've followed many of the tips but I'm still really struggling to get a job and it's really getting me down :erm:.

What do you mean by this last paragraph? What exactly does "being the right person" entail?

I don't have any paid retail experience, but I do regularly volunteer in a charity shop and have done since November. Any chance this could actually be a hindrance instead of a help?
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
What exactly does "being the right person" entail?

In my experience, either being very lucky, or having a family member of close friend work there.
Reply 51
I remember reading your employment guide a few months ago, as well as other guides, and I've followed many of the tips but I'm still really struggling to get a job and it's really getting me down :erm:.

What do you mean by this last paragraph? What exactly does "being the right person" entail?

I don't have any paid retail experience, but I do regularly volunteer in a charity shop and have done since November. Any chance this could actually be a hindrance instead of a help?

Hey hey,

Did you read the paragraph in context? Cos I know sometime's I talk backwards haha.

"People say that employers want experience when it comes to retail but I beg to differ tbh, if your the right person they will train you up and i've seen it happen at work where for my job your meant to have 1 - 2 years worth of customer service experience"

My main point is in the bold. Most places i've been and worked at/had interviews have basically echoed the point in bold.. you can train anyone up but you can't change how someome acts/presents themselves 9of course i'm not saying this is your problem as I don't know how you go about things)..

Being the right person in their eyes, meeting the requirements they are looking for, whether (sp) it having sufficient experience or whether it be having a confident/bubbly personality. Thats my take on it.

You could say it should help the volunteering but again this whole getting into retail jobs has changed up since when I got my first job (makes me sound old :teehee:) what sort of jobs are you applying for in terms of companies?

The well known ones/local companies? Local companies tend to be a good start for people without retail experience. :h:

Maybe sit down and review your technique and look at how your answering job applications (especially the ones that have questions). Something will come along soon. :h:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 52
Original post by WelshBluebird
In my experience, either being very lucky, or having a family member of close friend work there.

Lol well neither of those applied for me with my jobs but funny ole world. :cool:
Original post by WelshBluebird

I've been trying so hard with my CV, cover letters and job applications, and yeah, I definitely feel very unlucky :sigh:

Hey hey,

Did you read the paragraph in context? Cos I know sometime's I talk backwards haha.

"People say that employers want experience when it comes to retail but I beg to differ tbh, if your the right person they will train you up and i've seen it happen at work where for my job your meant to have 1 - 2 years worth of customer service experience"

My main point is in the bold. Most places i've been and worked at/had interviews have basically echoed the point in bold.. you can train anyone up but you can't change how someome acts/presents themselves..

Being the right person in their eyes, meeting the requirements they are looking for, whether (sp) it having sufficient experience or whether it be having a confident/bubbly personality. Thats how I see it..

You could say it should help the volunteering but again this whole getting into retail jobs has changed up since when I got my first job (makes me sound old :teehee:) what sort of jobs are you applying for in terms of companies?

The well known ones/local companies? Local companies tend to be a good start for people without retail experience. :h:

Maybe sit down and review your technique and look at how your answering job applications (especially the ones that have questions). Something will come along soon. :h:

OK, fair enough. But surely they can only see your personality once you're actually invited to see them at an interview or face-to-face assessment?

The careers advisor at my college gave me a big list of most of the well-known retail places, and I've been applying to them through their sites and/or handing in CVs/application forms instore. I also signed up to TotalJobs and RetailCareers and they periodically email me manyjobs for me to apply to, which I do. As well as retail I've been trying for catering and administration jobs too (I study Business Admin at college). I would most prefer to work in fashion retail, a department store or cosmetics/beauty store, even full time and permanently when I finish college, but of course I'm trying for everywhere but I keep getting rejected :frown:. I feel so stuck.
Lol well neither of those applied for me with my jobs but funny ole world. :cool:

It doesn't apply so much now, but certainly when I was in sixth form, most people who had jobs managed to get them through some sort of family or friend.
And the ones that had a job not through family / friends had a car (so could apply for jobs further afield to where I could get to).
Reply 55
OK, fair enough. But surely they can only see your personality once you're actually invited to see them at an interview or face-to-face assessment?

The careers advisor at my college gave me a big list of most of the well-known retail places, and I've been applying to them through their sites and/or handing in CVs/application forms instore. I also signed up to TotalJobs and RetailCareers and they periodically email me manyjobs for me to apply to, which I do. As well as retail I've been trying for catering and administration jobs too (I study Business Admin at college). I would most prefer to work in fashion retail, a department store or cosmetics/beauty store, even full time and permanently when I finish college, but of course I'm trying for everywhere but I keep getting rejected :frown:. I feel so stuck.

Yeah thats a fair point but then its how you portray yourself there and then, I remember when I had my first ever job interview, it was with Waitrose and I was in year 11. I got rejected nicely.

I look back at it and I was like yeah I had no confidence, I sucked and I didn't speak up enough, cool now 3 years later I work for Nike (<3), and the interview for there was kinda hard but for me its an achievement. My point of that story is to say everyone gets rejections, it sucks but just dust yourself off and keep looking..

At one point I worked for a couple of football stadiums like Chelsea & Wembley, are there any in your location that you'd consider or even within a 30 to 60 minute commute? Its easy money for a few hours just working in the little food stands, thats what helped me get into retail properly.

Are there any new stores opening in your area/surrounding area?

Keep at it, it will pay off at some point and some stores do recruit for summer too. :h:
x

Hey, I sent you an email a while back about my CV, I'm not sure whether you got it, or just haven't had time to read it. If not, that's fine:smile:
Reply 57
Original post by Straight up G
Hey, I sent you an email a while back about my CV, I'm not sure whether you got it, or just haven't had time to read it. If not, that's fine:smile:

Hey Hey - When abouts did you send it?

Also was it to my personal email/my TSR email, because I fail and I forgot my login details to my personal email so created a new one.

Sorry for the delay. :smile:
It's all online these days! Seriously, I got 5 call backs when I last applied online. Best time to start applying is August/September when everyone leaves for university.
Hey Hey - When abouts did you send it?

Also was it to my personal email/my TSR email, because I fail and I forgot my login details to my personal email so created a new one.

Sorry for the delay. :smile:

Quite a while back, but it slipped my mind too. (just checked, it was 27th Feb).
Nah that's fine, I sent it to your personal one I think, it ended in aol.co.uk and had your name followed by 29. If it's possible, you could pm me your new one?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending