The Student Room Group

Part time jobs are impossible to get!

Scroll to see replies

Set up a market stall. Reletively low start up costs and you gain good business/commercial experiance.
Honestly, I work in retail and when we get given CVs we actually throw them in the bin... my manager doesn't read them because any jobs we get are all advertised and applied for online. Try signing up to email notifications that let you know if a job comes up in your area - Next always send me them and they also hire lots of people in summer and at christmas for sales (: (I know because I used to work there haha)

but just search around and look on company websites :biggrin:
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
Yeah, that's some good points you made about the confidence thing :yep:. I've probably applied to about 150-200 jobs (I'm not really counting though, it's just a rough estimate, but I know it's a LOT and counting) so far in the past 6 months, and out of those I did manage to get just two interviews back in December for Xmas temp jobs.

I did actually manage to get the Sainsbury's job, but then lost it before even starting the induction (it's a long story lol, but meh they messed me about).

And then I had a group assessment thing at Harrods, and judging by the types of exercises we were given to do, it seemed like they were only wanting to hire very confident and outspoken people. Which I wasn't, and consequently I didn't get the job :sigh:. But since I know now what their assessments involve, I can better prepare myself for next time, as I have now applied for the Harrods Summer temp jobs :yep:

The other day someone on Facebook was writing on someone's else wall, about a new store opening in our town called Superdry. I hadn't even heard of it, but I went straight to their site to apply :smile:. So Facebook can be useful for some things :yep:

You never heard of superdry?! haha, sorry saw that and was pretty surprised considering half the population of my local area own something by them lol and a word of warning, they're pretty popular now and get huge numbers of applications so competition is intense :smile:
Original post by popsiclee67
Honestly, I work in retail and when we get given CVs we actually throw them in the bin... my manager doesn't read them because any jobs we get are all advertised and applied for online. Try signing up to email notifications that let you know if a job comes up in your area - Next always send me them and they also hire lots of people in summer and at christmas for sales (: (I know because I used to work there haha)

but just search around and look on company websites :biggrin:

I've been signed up for email notifications from Totaljobs, and more recently Caterer and RetailJobs, and I'm always applying for every job that will suit me. Believe me, I really don't know what more I need to do to find a fricking job! :banghead:

You never heard of superdry?! haha, sorry saw that and was pretty surprised considering half the population of my local area own something by them lol and a word of warning, they're pretty popular now and get huge numbers of applications so competition is intense :smile:

I dunno, maybe their ones of those brands that I've been slightly subconsciously aware of them, but I'm certainly not very familiar with them at all, haha. Still, I applied for the job :yep:
Original post by BeccaCath94
Hi,
Im in year 12 at the moment but since last summer I have been looking on and off for a weekend job at the very least. I have handed out numerous CVs but no one has replied to them. And i have been rejected many times from online applications.
How am I supposed to get a job???

My problem is there are quite a few jobs advertised in my area at the mo but I'm too blimmin young. Being a summer baby has it drawbacks...
I've been signed up for email notifications from Totaljobs, and more recently Caterer and RetailJobs, and I'm always applying for every job that will suit me. Believe me, I really don't know what more I need to do to find a fricking job! :banghead:

I dunno, maybe their ones of those brands that I've been slightly subconsciously aware of them, but I'm certainly not very familiar with them at all, haha. Still, I applied for the job :yep:

ahh see I meant emails off websites like these: http://careers.next.co.uk/retail/ or this http://www.boots.jobs/ or this http://www.debenhams-jobs.com/deb_rec/

for a few examples :smile: just go on loads of websites and find the careers sectio at the bottom, thats how I found my current and previous jobs :smile: (im a year 13 btw)
:biggrin:
ahh see I meant emails off websites like these: http://careers.next.co.uk/retail/ or this http://www.boots.jobs/ or this http://www.debenhams-jobs.com/deb_rec/

for a few examples :smile: just go on loads of websites and find the careers sectio at the bottom, thats how I found my current and previous jobs :smile: (im a year 13 btw)
:biggrin:

Oh, I do periodically visit different retailer's careers sections on their sites, but I didn't realise they could email jobs to you. Thanks a lot :yy:
Original post by sil3nt_cha0s
:lies:

I applied to about 30 different positions at various McDonald's near where I live last summer. I got rejected from every single one of them.

Cant imagine the depression of being turned down from a mcdonalds... I feel sorry for you.
Reply 88
Original post by burgergetsbored
McDonalds....anyone can get a job at Mcdonalds....

:sigh: Not everyone...
Oh, I do periodically visit different retailer's careers sections on their sites, but I didn't realise they could email jobs to you. Thanks a lot :yy:

no problem! :biggrin:
Reply 90
Yeah, that's some good points you made about the confidence thing :yep:. I've probably applied to about 150-200 jobs (I'm not really counting though, it's just a rough estimate, but I know it's a LOT and counting) so far in the past 6 months, and out of those I did manage to get just two interviews back in December for Xmas temp jobs.

I did actually manage to get the Sainsbury's job, but then lost it before even starting the induction (it's a long story lol, but meh they messed me about).

And then I had a group assessment thing at Harrods, and judging by the types of exercises we were given to do, it seemed like they were only wanting to hire very confident and outspoken people. Which I wasn't, and consequently I didn't get the job :sigh:. But since I know now what their assessments involve, I can better prepare myself for next time, as I have now applied for the Harrods Summer temp jobs :yep:

The other day someone on Facebook was writing on someone's else wall, about a new store opening in our town called Superdry. I hadn't even heard of it, but I went straight to their site to apply :smile:. So Facebook can be useful for some things :yep:

omg just saw this, I was at Harrods last summer :smile: I think I got in through sheer luck as I mentioned a pretty obscure department in the store (the minerals and fossils gallery) for one of the questions. And also I remember all the other girls at the induction day wore a lot of make-up.

Nope, I currently have 5 Mcjections! It PROVES that getting a job at Mcdonalds is actually harder than getting into Oxford! :P
Original post by Calian
omg just saw this, I was at Harrods last summer :smile: I think I got in through sheer luck as I mentioned a pretty obscure department in the store (the minerals and fossils gallery) for one of the questions. And also I remember all the other girls at the induction day wore a lot of make-up.

Wow, I never knew Harrods had a minerals and fossils gallery :eek:. Definitely have to do more research next time :yep:. By the way, those other girls that wore loads of makeup, did they get jobs or not?
Original post by Norbertnorbert
Nope, I currently have 5 Mcjections! It PROVES that getting a job at Mcdonalds is actually harder than getting into Oxford! :P

Mcjected? :rofl: I've never heard such a phrase - good one :yy:
Original post by Arekkusu
You cannot, cannot get a job while you're still in school. I spent a good part of my sixth form career applying for jobs and got nothing, maybe like 2 interviews.

The second I finished, bam! Got a job.

I had 4:
Dominos, a butchers, Game and Clintons.
All before I turned 18 and whilst in 5th and 6th year. I then proceeded to get my now job during the summer of 6th year going into uni.

Dear OP, Call centres. I work in one, £8.50 an hour, sure the targets might be tricky but they're ALWAYS looking for people because such a high turn over. Check all the bank websites. That's how I got mine. :smile:
Reply 95
Wow, I never knew Harrods had a minerals and fossils gallery :eek:. Definitely have to do more research next time :yep:. By the way, those other girls that wore loads of makeup, did they get jobs or not?

I arrived at Harrods a couple of hours early to have a stroll around, should give you some stuff to chat about at the interview :smile: Yep those were the girls with the jobs (sorry I didn't mean caked on make-up, my standards of "loads of makeup" isn't very high haha), you definitely have to look the part (ie. dress and make-up quite similarly to the sales assistants; not the make-up section people though, they are proper painted!). Basically full eye-makeup, blush, concealed blemishes and some subtle gloss. A black suit jacket would definitely not go amiss if you already have it. :smile:
Original post by Calian
I arrived at Harrods a couple of hours early to have a stroll around, should give you some stuff to chat about at the interview :smile: Yep those were the girls with the jobs (sorry I didn't mean caked on make-up, my standards of "loads of makeup" isn't very high haha), you definitely have to look the part (ie. dress and make-up quite similarly to the sales assistants; not the make-up section people though, they are proper painted!). Basically full eye-makeup, blush, concealed blemishes and some subtle gloss. A black suit jacket would definitely not go amiss if you already have it. :smile:

Oh yeah, I just saw that you said "induction day" in your earlier post, I should have known from that sentence that meant they had the job, lol.

I'm already really into my makeup, so that's not too hard for me :biggrin:.

That sounds like a good idea, strolling around Harrods before the interview :yep:. I was actually planning on doing that too for my Xmas one, but then I didn't get to arrive early after all because TFL online had given me a coach route from the train station when I needed a bus route :mad: (I didn't have money for the coach and bus is free for me) so I went searching for the right bus and stop, and ended up arriving just on time for the assessment at least, thankfully.
Which type of jobs in general tend to be easier to get - part-time or full-time?
Which type of jobs in general tend to be easier to get - part-time or full-time?

In my experience, full time are easier. I've had more full-time job offers than part time (I used to apply to loads of jobs on Gumtree and some didn't specify if they were part or full time so I just applied anyway, then most turned out to be full time). But as I'm a full-time student I needed a part-time job and got so frustrated at being offered these full-time roles. Luckily I've got two part-time jobs now, one I love and the other I hate so I guess that kind of balances it out :tongue:
Reply 99

That's a lie, I had an interview then got rejected :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending