The Student Room Group

How To Withdraw Last Year's Application?

I'm trying to apply for Student Finance for the 2011/12 year, this will be my first year of Uni.

I applied last year, but didn't get into Uni. The status of my application hasn't changed, and it says it's still awaiting a declaration form which I have to sign and return, as well as household income details.

I can't apply for Student Finance this year until last years is sorted. Firstly, I'm not sure how I withdraw the application, and secondly, I'm worried if I try to, then they'd take that as my first year of Uni, and I'd only be eligible for 3 (?) years of loans after that.

Anyone been in a similar position, and/or know how to sort it out?
Reply 1
Phone them up and explain that you did not attend.

They will be able see that you won't have had your entitlement letter scanned or any payments made and the 10/11 application can be cancelled.

It is not counted as a year of study unless you actually attended university.
Reply 2
I'm in the exact same boat as you! I've literally just rang up, and the guy on the phone said that it's sort of a glitch in the system which means they are unable to cancel it from their end.

He told me that I should just print out a form and send that in, and when SFE receive that application, it will 'super-seed' last years application. Hope this helps!
Reply 3
There's no glitch, they just won't cancel an application without something in writing, which you should have sent last year when you decided not to attend.
Reply 4
Original post by Bluemoon17
I'm in the exact same boat as you! I've literally just rang up, and the guy on the phone said that it's sort of a glitch in the system which means they are unable to cancel it from their end.

He told me that I should just print out a form and send that in, and when SFE receive that application, it will 'super-seed' last years application. Hope this helps!

Cheers mate, great help. Will do just that then :smile:

Original post by Taiko
There's no glitch, they just won't cancel an application without something in writing, which you should have sent last year when you decided not to attend.

I didn't decide not to attend, I was rejected. At the time, the last thing on my mind was informing Student Finance, who I thought would find out anyway through UCAS.
Reply 5
There's no link between the two, and it actually says in the contract you sign with Student Finance that it is your responsibility to inform them if you do not attend for any reason.
Reply 6
Original post by Bluemoon17

random point but someone might find it interesting: the word is actually 'supersede', meaning to... well, literally to sit on top of, but it's when one thing replaces another due to updated info/increased relevance/old one being outdated etc. I promise I'm not a pedant, I just like the word!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending