The Student Room Group

2012 - veterinary re-applicants

Scroll to see replies

Uh oh! Rather big flop in C4 exam today... goodbye veterinary dream :wavey:
Original post by may bug :)
I'm pretty much going to do work experience up until New Year and try and fit employment around that :s-smilie: Then work work work while interviews are taking place... scary stuffs!!

I'm planning on going travelling around the Med after all the chaos is over, so should be funs :smile:

Good luck with your application (I will most certainly be stalking everyone on this thread as were are the best ones after all :tongue:)

aw you too! wow at least you have work experience booked, im finding it so hard to get anything :frown: i started volunteering at a wildlife place once a week and i got a week in a practice and 4 days in hospital labs but that is all iv done this year :frown: mmaaajjorly behind everyone else theres just not a lot near where i live, i cant even find a kennel to apply to!
Reply 162

exactly the same thing happened to me today the exam didnt go very well, looks like il have to take the long and expensive route if i still wna be a vet, do you have a back up plan?

i did c4 too and it was horrible :frown: i hope the grade boundaries will be low :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by jayman22
do you have a back up plan?

I do, although it still involves taking a gap year and paying crazy fees but to do a biology degree instead
Unfortunately for you all I'm going to be leaving this thread. I got ABB in my exams :frown: so will be abandoning you all in favour of Biology :frown:
Unfortunately for you all I'm going to be leaving this thread. I got ABB in my exams :frown: so will be abandoning you all in favour of Biology :frown:

:frown: are you going to do a vet med degree after?
Original post by jacko111
News from RVC - apparently reviewing interview arrangements for next year and will probably go for Liverpools interview stations model as opposed to the current panel interview

Not sure if that'll be better or worse, I never had a Liverpool interview. Then again, stations would eliminate the problem of having one room running five minutes later than the others. (Sitting in that hallway on my own was the most terrifying thing I have ever done in my entire life.)
Hi, I'm reapplying for vetmed at Glasgow, Liverpool, Cambridge and haven't yet decided on the 4th one! I applied to Liverpool, Glasgow and Cambridge last year but only got an interview at Cambridge. 9A*'s, 1A at GCSE, a's in AS ceramics and photography, A*'s in A2 Physics, Biology and Maths and an A in A2 Chemistry. How's everyone doing on work experience??!! So far I have 10 weeks but have 3months work experience at Chester Zoo arranged for September
I guess I should re-join you all on here! I had 2 offers last year, and was all set to go to Liverpool, but my horse rather inconveniently broke his leg the night before my first exam, so he was transferred to a referral hospital 60miles from home, so i was revising in his stable! and as a result I just missed out with my grades this year in chemistry, so going back to resit it next year, and reapply... The silver lining is that my horse should be in a more suitable position to leave behind by next year, and when asked about vet case studies at interview, I can talk for several hours about all the treatment and tests he's had :wink:

Going to reapply to Liverpool and RVC, and leave the other 3 for biology degree's in case i fail again! :redface:
Original post by ILurfSmurf
I guess I should re-join you all on here! I had 2 offers last year, and was all set to go to Liverpool, but my horse rather inconveniently broke his leg the night before my first exam, so he was transferred to a referral hospital 60miles from home, so i was revising in his stable! and as a result I just missed out with my grades this year in chemistry, so going back to resit it next year, and reapply... The silver lining is that my horse should be in a more suitable position to leave behind by next year, and when asked about vet case studies at interview, I can talk for several hours about all the treatment and tests he's had :wink:

Going to reapply to Liverpool and RVC, and leave the other 3 for biology degree's in case i fail again! :redface:

I'm sorry to hear about your horse. :frown:
Original post by gernumblies
I'm sorry to hear about your horse. :frown:

Thanks! He's sort of kind of a bit on the mend now :smile:

He's still got a long way to go, and may still have to go in for surgery to chisel down the newly formed bone that could start to affect tendon function, but he's been back in walk work for 2 weeks now, is getting shoes back on on thurs, and can start hacking/turnout in small pen from the weekend! I'm genuinely surprised he's made it this far, and that he's improved this quickly, considering he had a 2 inch core lesion in his extensor carpiradialis tendon, ruptured the tendon sheath, and fractured his radius!
Reply 172
i just posted in regular 2012 apps but i'll post here too :smile:

like louise i missed my liverpool offer (was painful removing my signature!) so i'll be reapplying tooo liverpool, RVC and bristol. as for my fourth choice i don't know between glasgow and edinburgh - i read they want A levels to be achieved in the first sitting? but may as well put one down either way. what can anyone suggest?

also, what are people doing in their gap year and how do you plan to change your personal statement?

xx
Original post by Lucy_x
i just posted in regular 2012 apps but i'll post here too :smile:

like louise i missed my liverpool offer (was painful removing my signature!) so i'll be reapplying tooo liverpool, RVC and bristol. as for my fourth choice i don't know between glasgow and edinburgh - i read they want A levels to be achieved in the first sitting? but may as well put one down either way. what can anyone suggest?

also, what are people doing in their gap year and how do you plan to change your personal statement?

xx

:hugs:
LOVE YOU LUCY! we can do this, 2012 vets we shall be :smile:
I too found it horrible removing my sig :tongue:
A word of advice, edinburgh rejected me last year as i'd resat modules at AS, so out of those 2 i'd go for glasgow. I decided to only put 2 vet ones down as bristol were thinking about asking for A*s which i dont/wont have, and tbh I didnt really like it all that much :redface: i did notts last year so thats out the window, and dont want to go to scotland :tongue: so going to put 3 biology courses down as well, as I dont think I could bring myself to reapply AGAIN if I dont get in this year :/ but hopefully it wont come to that!

My gap year is going to consist of working, revising for resits, trying to fix the broken horse, and if broken horse is fixed and sufficient money saved and exams are all sorted etc i may go travelling at some point next summer :smile:

I'm not going to change my PS that much :tongue: apparently you can use the same one, so i'm just going to find space for a small paragraph saying ' i failed cause my horse broke' as i didnt apply to RVC last year, and liverpool reckon they dont read it anyway :tongue:
Posted this is the 2012 applicants thread, but thought I would post it in here for the re-applicants as well, in case you didn't see it in that thread.

For any of you thinking of applying to the RVC:
http://www.rvc.ac.uk/Undergraduate/VisitUs/Webinar.cfm
Ahh! PS advice, make sure you definitely change it. Even if you were accepted before and it's just the grades that held you back I strongly advise changing it - it looks a bit lazy otherwise and you're supposed to improve your application each time :-/

so sorry to hear you missed out on the grades guys and gernumblies I CANNOT believe you didn't get an offer, are these people insane?! Fingers tightly crossed for you all this year. My application was so much easier 2nd time round (although just as heart wrenching!) because I was more prepared. Everything happens for a reason just don't give up on the vet dream (and definitely do not go down the grad route :biggrin: )
Reply 176
change your personal statement, go all out and make your application as good as you can get it especially if your only applying to a few of the unis. I know someone on here got 2/3 interviews the first year, applied again with the same PS and got 0 interviews the next year.. so yeh even if it was only the grades letting you down i would change your personal statement as much as you can and explain why you are re-applying.
Ditto to the PS comments. Don't risk leaving it the same as before. Yes, you *can* leave it the same, but it doesn't mean it's a good idea to :wink: By all means there will be bits that you keep the same/similar (such as an operation you saw and the explanation about it), but you need to show what you have done about in your gap year and show that you are getting something from it.

Even if it is different uni's you are applying to you need to talk about your gap year in it. Which if you don't really mention it apart from a very small bit, won't look good. Also, you have to put UCAS no.s down from any previous applications, so they will see you have applied through UCAS before, even if not to them and will wonder how much you are doing in your year out. I don't know how much truth there is in the Liverpool not reading them thing, but personally I wouldn't risk submitting anything too similar just in case they do! :smile:

I know it is frustrating having to basically start from scratch, but much better that than not getting any interviews as they don't think you've improved on your previous application.
Reply 178
thanks for the PS advice i really appreciate it :smile: , better get started sooner than i'd imagined!

yes louiseeee we can do it this time and be liverpool failures 2012 winner buddies :biggrin: that's not very nice of edinburgh, probably go for glasgow then but i haven't got much hope for them either! i think you should apply to brizzle anyway :biggrin:
Original post by stef_vet?
Ahh! PS advice, make sure you definitely change it. Even if you were accepted before and it's just the grades that held you back I strongly advise changing it - it looks a bit lazy otherwise and you're supposed to improve your application each time :-/

so sorry to hear you missed out on the grades guys and gernumblies I CANNOT believe you didn't get an offer, are these people insane?! Fingers tightly crossed for you all this year. My application was so much easier 2nd time round (although just as heart wrenching!) because I was more prepared. Everything happens for a reason just don't give up on the vet dream (and definitely do not go down the grad route :biggrin: )

:redface: These things happen. (There's no way I can afford grad anyway.)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending